N-Europe

Learning German

MoogleViper

Can't you take a German module as part of your Uni course? We could take any language we liked in place of a standard course module.

I would recommend getting a decent book over free online resources tbh (although online guides can be invaluable - following a set, chapter based plan is usually more productive)

Viel glück!

Can't you take a German module as part of your Uni course? We could take any language we liked in place of a standard course module.

I would recommend getting a decent book over free online resources tbh (although online guides can be invaluable - following a set, chapter based plan is usually more productive)

Viel glück!

We have to pay an extra fee to learn a language on ours.

I personally would recommend some of the DS games, my mum and I used them to learn French (well I'm using them now) just to grab some basics.

Don't forget immersion. Watch German films. Switch your devices to German (always fun when someone asks to borrow your phone then doesn't know what to do). Put sticky notes of German words/expressions/grammar rules around your room. Try and learn 5-10 words/phrases or whatever a day. Keep a list with you but when you have a moment to let your mind drift (in a queue, lecture whatever) try and see how many you can remember.

I can speak a little German, and, funnily enough, I decided yesterday to set myself the task for this year (besides "pass 2nd year at Uni and get a placement sorted") of learning a decent amount of Portuguese. I don't know why, it just seemed cool.

Don't forget immersion. Watch German films. Switch your devices to German (always fun when someone asks to borrow your phone then doesn't know what to do). Put sticky notes of German words/expressions/grammar rules around your room. Try and learn 5-10 words/phrases or whatever a day. Keep a list with you but when you have a moment to let your mind drift (in a queue, lecture whatever) try and see how many you can remember.

I normally watch German films without subtitles, and randomly call objects by their German names, or use German phrases - it's almost entertaining...

I can speak a little German, and, funnily enough, I decided yesterday to set myself the task for this year (besides "pass 2nd year at Uni and get a placement sorted") of learning a decent amount of Portuguese. I don't know why, it just seemed cool.

Tens o meu Selo de Aprovação! : peace:

Everyone (read: people studying linguistics) seems to know German but me, I feel like I ought to learn it some time. Plus it's kind of archetypal verb second, which is cool. It's a bit funny how modern English is one of the few Germanic languages that isn't.

My general (non-German specific) advice is to make sure you have a good grasp of the grammar.

Tens o meu Selo de Aprovação! : peace:

Obrigado!

Peço desculpa is possibly one of the hardest things I've ever tried to pronounce...

If anyone is thinking of trying it, Byki is awesome. I'm already greeting my housemates in pigeon-Portuguese. :awesome:

Well there's always this: http://www.byki.com/ Which I've used for Italian and Japanese (although didn't get far with either of them due to other things to do) but it could be a good free starting point.

This program is brilliant, I'm learning Japanese now and it's already stuck in my head :D.

A question though: How do you download other languages? Do you do it the same way as you did when downloading the program or do you just download the lists?

That includes words like Divisão, Instituição and Dragão.

Pretty much any word in English that ends with '-ion' or similar ends with ão in Portuguese. Just like how words like City, University and Liberty become Ciudad, Universidad and Libertad in Spanish, it seems. Probably some exceptions, but I dunno.

That includes words like Divisão, Instituição and Dragão.

Pretty much any word in English that ends with '-ion' or similar ends with ão in Portuguese. Just like how words like City, University and Liberty become Ciudad, Universidad and Libertad in Spanish, it seems. Probably some exceptions, but I dunno.

You're right.

And yes, there are exceptions (like "Onion" and the false friend "Constipation").