Smoking Ban

Kirkatronics

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to have a cuddly gorilla when I was like 7 that I bought which had a cigarette in its mouth. I was so disgusted with his habit that I cut the cigarrete out of his mouth and he was left with what looked like a buck tooth. :)

I just want to hug you sometimes.

The smoking ban was the best thing to ever happen at I am 110% in favor of it!!!!

I wish they would ban smoking in the street as well or even better just ban smoking altogether.

Disgusting habbit!

But then they'll come after your booze for the same reasons, then what'll you say? I have had more problems with drunk people being annoying in public spaces (fighting in the street, vandalising walls, being abusive, etc) than with people smoking in similar situations.

I think, perhaps, the idea of a blanket ban at train stations is because if you say "okay you can smoke at the end" you're going to get people edging closer, particularly if its raining or something some people may be inclined to stand under the cover with everyone else. Lord knows there have been numerous times when I've been at a train station and people have smoked.

Furthermore if you say "its okay at an open-air station" it will only complicate things. Some people may then think (or play dumb) that its okay at any station. And what about mixes like I believe Sheffield is? The platforms are open-airish but there is cover (making it more akin to indoor) and obviously the main station part is indoor.

You're right with the inch/mile philosophy, which is why I think generally nowadays people will turn a blind eye to a smoker at the end of a platform, miles away from anyone else. When teh ban came into place the staff were ridiculous about it, hiking up the platform to cough in my face, tell me that if I want to kill them I'll have to pay £50 to try.

I don't really see how mixes like sheffield make a difference. Essentially, you should be allowed to smoke in a workplace if you are outdoors and away from the Nonnies.

I think the work vehicle thing is to protect the condition of the vehicles. Work vehicles are often rented out (except work vans which I presume are flat out purchased and passed around). And I presume there's some public face aspect to it.

I'm sorry, but I've spent countess hours sat in either van or lorry being a drivers mate and having smoke shoved down my throat; even when the ban came into place.

Then report them!!!!!1212!£qr

As wes points out, I guess most people ignore that aspect of the ban now!

One thing that irks me is the pubs that come out onto streets and have their smoking section right outside the door. It doesn't really help as anyone leaving/entering the pub will get blasted with smoke, and anyone walking past will as well. It may not always be possible to have it elsewhere but, for example, there's a pub down the road that has a car parking space that's off the main street but still adjacent to the pub. Could have it there.

Yeah walking through the clouds to get in/out of some pubs and clubs isn't ideal, and many places with bouncers ask you to walk along the road a bit. It's a shame, but truly a minor annoyance compared to before (and in my experience rarely as bad as you make out).

We will eventually be herded into public smoking areas, or assigned buildings where we're allowed to go in and smoke (like the old smoking areas at airports - possibly the scummiest, most depressing rooms in existence), but for now we smokers merely ask to be treated with a little reality - our smoke vs cars, etc.

They suddenly couldn't smoke where they could before. They had to go outside in the harsh weather conditions rather than have a room where they could go.

I think you'll find smokers have done it outdoors :P It's been a couple of years now since the ban, which means I've bared these 'harsh conditions' and... well it's not been that bad :P It's nice to take five minutes from the hustle, and get some quiet time and - seriously - a few drags on the fresh air around does wonders. Yes, it's balanced with grey cancer smoke, but still.

It's not nice.

This was the whole point of the ban.

It wasn't to stop you smoking as such; it was to stop me having to breath that shit.

True. If someone wasn't happy with my smoking, especially a friend, I'd want them to say something to me. I'm sure none of my friends remember when I ask them "is it alright if I smoke?"

On the fliiipsiiiide- When I'm sitting outside my own house, or in the middle of a park reading a book, I don't deserve to have passers by berating me for being a murderous wretch. I'm forced away from the indoors and I don't get much in the way of thanks for it :P

(tl;dr - smoking ban is a great idea, but we need more common sense and communication!)

Yeah but that's because of the way people consume alcohol... not the alcohol itself.

What I mean is you can have someone sat next to you with a horrible glass of bitter and it doesn't effect you...

But no matter what a person who is smoking is doing next to you, it's still going to effect you.

The smoking ban was the best thing to ever happen at I am 110% in favor of it!!!!

I wish they would ban smoking in the street as well or even better just ban smoking altogether.

Disgusting habbit!

yhst-66400482594017_2090_7631403

Also, does anyone recognize these?

chocig_l.jpg

Chocolate%20Cigarettes%20LARGE.jpg

Theyre now crayons, its not much better than eating cigs.

Just look at the history of opium. Smoking may not entirely disappear in 50 years, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's at the point of near irrelevance.

Most people smoke because it was seen as the norm or a way of gaining acceptance, either amongst their friends or their family. The more marginalised smokers become, the less acceptable the act, the less likely it is that a new generation will take it up. They'll be too busy molesting each other via Internet 2.0 or something anyway.

866.gif

in 30 years the number of smokers has effectively halved (and the amount of hatred towards smokers has increased tenfold), so it's believable.

But on a personal level, people don't have to be so darn mean to me about it.

*points to car fumes for a bit*

Obv the ban is a good thing, the world would be a very slightly better place without cigarettes but that isn't gonna happen because it's ingrained into our very culture sadly because it's that 'popular' and for that reason it won't die out.

Of course if cigarettes didn't exist then people would just get addicted to something else like caffiene or... idk... there would still be an addiction to something but it'd still be preferable to people smoking.

Actually arab, there are a lot more things that are more disgusting, like your grandmother attempting to fellate a donkey whilst massaging feces and puke into a baby's eyeballs.

Thanks for reaffirming how astute my statements are by lashing out at me with the rhetorical capabilities of a middle-school kid whilst puckering your lips to inhale a rolled up wad of skid marks wrapped around a tiny tobacco penis. We have you to thank for contributing to companies that do nothing for society except pull people down with their addictive habit that turns teeth yellow and lungs black. And before you say there are other industries that have similar effects on people, you have to acknowledge that compared to the tobacco companies their effect is decrepit. Also, their products and services don't employ the use of 4,000 carcinogenic chemicals.

Despite all the reasons people have to smoke, and despite all the so-called "benefits" of being one, I can never seem to find one credible reason to give some sense that bad habit. Every smoker I've talked to always gives me the bullshit "because I like it" excuse. And after I carefully explain to them how idiotic that kind of answer is they sob and tell me they have no clue as to why they can't even find enough motivation to quit, even if the well-being of themselves and others around them is reason enough. I don't get it. Why start smoking in the first place if you know this is how you'll feel about it later on?

And by the way, I don't hate smokers, I just get pissed off when I see them being inconsiderate of other people's health, like blowing smoke in their way or littering by throwing a cigarette on the floor instead of in a trash can and not putting it out properly. And I especially feel that way because I live in a country where a good majority of its trash is cigarette buds.

Edited by arab_freak

Thanks for reaffirming how astute my statements are by lashing out at me with the rhetorical capabilities of a middle-school kid whilst puckering your lips to inhale a rolled up wad of skid marks wrapped around a tiny tobacco penis. We have you to thank for contributing to companies that do nothing for society except pull people down with their addictive habit that turns teeth yellow and lungs black. And before you say there are other industries that have similar effects on people, you have to acknowledge that compared to the tobacco companies their effect is decrepit. Also, their products and services don't employ the use of 4,000 carcinogenic chemicals.

Despite all the reasons people have to smoke, and despite all the so-called "benefits" of being one, I can never seem to find one credible reason to give some sense that bad habit. Every smoker I've talked to always gives me the bullshit "because I like it" excuse. And after I carefully explain to them how idiotic that kind of answer is they sob and tell me they have no clue as to why they can't even find enough motivation to quit, even if the well-being of themselves and others around them is reason enough. I don't get it. Why start smoking in the first place if you know this is how you'll feel about it later on?

And by the way, I don't hate smokers, I just get pissed off when I see them being inconsiderate of other people's health, like blowing smoke in their way or littering by throwing a cigarette on the floor and not putting it out properly. And I especially feel that way because I live in a country where a good majority of its trash is cigarette buds.

Why do people eat heart glogginly bad food? Its because they like it.

Why do people skydive? Its because they like it.

Why do people do most things which are harmful? Its because they like them, who are you to decide whether its a good excuse or not?

It made me laugh the amount of smokers I heard say, about a year after the ban, "The numbers of smokers hasn't even decreased."

A big proportion quit as it wasn't as convenient now that they couldn't jsut spark up at the office, in the cafe, at the pub.

Who ever said that is a moron.

They had to go outside in the harsh weather conditions rather than have a room where they could go.
We will eventually be herded into public smoking areas, or assigned buildings where we're allowed to go in and smoke (like the old smoking areas at airports - possibly the scummiest, most depressing rooms in existence)

That's the sacrifice smokers make after being turned into Richmonds'* bitches.

*Insert brand of preference here.

I still wubz you though Jay.

Why do people eat heart glogginly bad food? Its because they like it.

Why do people skydive? Its because they like it.

Why do people do most things which are harmful? Its because they like them, who are you to decide whether its a good excuse or not?

Eating unhealthy doesn't really harm anyone but yourself. And skydiving doesn't hurt anyone at all, unless your parachute fails and you plummet on top of a person or something. =P

Smoking is harmful to other people as well, that's why it's looked down upon so much. Now I don't agree with people going up to smokers and calling them names though. But yeah I'm happy with this smoking ban stuff.

Despite all the reasons people have to smoke, and despite all the so-called "benefits" of being one, I can never seem to find one credible reason to give some sense to a bad habit. Every smoker I've talked to always gives me the bullshit "because I like it" excuse. And after I carefully explain to them how idiotic that kind of answer is they sob and tell me they have no clue as to why they can't even find enough motivation to quit, even if the well-being of themselves and others around them is reason enough. I don't get it. Why start smoking in the first place if you know this is how you'll feel about it later on?

And by the way, I don't hate smokers, I just get pissed off when I see them being inconsiderate of other people's health, like blowing smoke in their way or littering by throwing a cigarette on the floor and not putting it out properly. And I especially feel that way because I live in a country where a good majority of its trash is cigarette buds.

-"Nothing more disgusting" was your statement, to which I 'lashed out' with an example of something that would be more disgusting. Your statement was overly dramatic, and troll-baiting rather than debating.

-You also have me to thank for the large investments in funding cancer research and the extra tax contributions that go towards medical treatment of people I've never even met. Money is the root, you can bury your wherever you please but you can't act sanctimonious because you give your cash to that fat suit, not this one.

-Smokers generally start through peer pressure, or are a by-product of being too drunk to think properly, or smoking lots of weed and wanting a 'high'.

-Habits are hard to quit. Tisthetruth.

-Cigarette smoke is not as harmful as exhaust fumes (I went there...), so you should be sure to be unable to comprehend why anyone drives, while you're at it.

-well-being is malleable, and changes with time. What people think is fantastic today may well be near-sin tomorrow.

-if we are generalising, then smoking is cool and gets you all the hot chicks

-cigarette butts are one of the primary sources of litter in the UK (don't know about the rest of the world). Outside my house there are dozens. I take a weird pride in it. Litter annoys people because it is ugly. People don't care about the actual damage.

-non-smokers are also inconsiderate. People who drive through puddles are inconsiderate. The bus driver who won't accept my note is inconsiderate. People who play their music loud, in cars or even headphones, are inconsiderate. Neighbours who stay up all night watching bollywood are inconsiderate. The council doing roadworks outside my house on a sunday morning.... bleh. It is hard for anyone to be fully considerate of others all the time. Because people think smoking is SO VERY VERY DANGEROUS they're more bothered than ever before.

There is no real argument. Smoking is bad. I get it. But it's not the worst. Deal.

But then they'll come after your booze for the same reasons, then what'll you say? I have had more problems with drunk people being annoying in public spaces (fighting in the street, vandalising walls, being abusive, etc) than with people smoking in similar situations.
Ah but now we're into a totally different, even bigger issue. I mean drinking is something I can't imagine us ever truly successfully combating.

It's one of those things that's so established that nobody really thinks twice about it. If alcohol was discovered today, it would hit the news as "some crazy new drug that, when ingested, causes slurred speech, loss of balance, loss of memory, severe headaches, loss of judgement and in extreme cases, addiction, liver damage etc". It would probably be considered a Class-A drug.

Yeah but that's because of the way people consume alcohol... not the alcohol itself.

What I mean is you can have someone sat next to you with a horrible glass of bitter and it doesn't effect you...

But no matter what a person who is smoking is doing next to you, it's still going to effect you.

I was responding to soag's "ban it all together" line of thinking. I feel that sufficient distance has been put between me and smokers. Nothing more is needed really. The only issue remaining for me would be for the protection of kids with smoker parents.

So rather than banning smoking altogether (what soag was suggesting) the next social nuisance is booze. Far worse currently than smoking.

Ah but now we're into a totally different, even bigger issue. I mean drinking is something I can't imagine us ever truly successfully combating.

It's one of those things that's so established that nobody really thinks twice about it. If alcohol was discovered today, it would hit the news as "some crazy new drug that, when ingested, causes slurred speech, loss of balance, loss of memory, severe headaches, loss of judgement and in extreme cases, addiction, liver damage etc". It would probably be considered a Class-A drug.

Yeah, and I'm not seriously suggesting it go, but at the moment it's worse than smoking - because it now physically affects more nonnies (thanks jay) than smoking does, maybe.

Edited by Mr_Odwin

I think that 5-10 years ago people would have thought the same about smoking.

If you would have said to someone that in 5 years theere will be a ban on smoking in public places, you would have laughed at them.

Eating unhealthy doesn't really harm anyone but yourself. And skydiving doesn't hurt anyone at all, unless your parachute fails and you plummet on top of a person or something. =P

Smoking is harmful to other people as well, that's why it's looked down upon so much. Now I don't agree with people going up to smokers and calling them names though. But yeah I'm happy with this smoking ban stuff.

Ok, ill switch it to drinking then :)

That harms lots of people, a lot more than smoking does.

In some ways I'm very for the banning of something inside, the generally not coming home stinking of cigarettes, not nearly crying my eyes out in the place because my the smoke makes my eyes water so much. That kinda thing.

But I also have to admit, that when I go to places like corporation in sheffield, the smoking area is the best area to be in, because generally smokers are more friendly when out and about.

I like the way it is currently, not having it indoors, but it'd be nicer if smokers didn't have to smoke in the pouring rain and get some kinda area thats sheltered to smoke in, not really fair to be force outside in the rain over a habit..

It's remarkable that even today i hear smokers complain about having to go outside for a smoke. These same people want the ban lifted. Obviously, when the winter is upon us, the smokers really complain then because it is cold.

I for one, being a non-smoker believes this ban is beneficial to both the non-smokers and smokers. Even some smokers believe this beneficial as well.

Smokers: They don't have a smoke as often anymore, which in turn is healthier for them as well. My mates smoke and have effectively cut back by 1/2 of what they smoked. Before, they sparked up nearly every 1/2 a pint. Now, one mate smokes cigars (one going to the pub, 1/2 towards the end of the night and the other 1/2 on the way home). The other has a rollie per pint.

Non-Smokers: It is 10x more healthier for them inc me. We no longer have to breath in second hand smoke whilst enjoying our pints. Since this ban, my local has had a few new customers and customers have returned now that there are no more smokers inside.

That's not too unlikely. The Alcohol industry has been going through the same pattern as the smoking did. I can't remember all of the details but for example in 1971 cigarettes contained health warnings (and these warnings became bigger in the 90s due to EU regulation). The alcohol industry have now put together a campaign to combat alcohol related problems including putting health warnings on alcohol. (Probably trying to show the government that they're responsible in an attempt to prevent going the same way as the tobacco industry.)

When will it end though? First smoking, then drinking, then what?

Lenina Huxley: Anything not good for you is bad, hence, illegal. Alcohol, caffeine, contact sports, meat . . .

John Spartan: Are you shitting me?

Computer: John Spartan, you are fined one credit for a violation of the verbal morality statute.

John Spartan: What the Hell is that?

Computer: John Spartan, you are fined one credit . . .

Lenina Huxley: Bad language, child play, gasoline, uneducational toys, and anything spicy. Abortion is also illegal. But, then again so is pregnancy, if you don't have a license.

Let's hope they don't make us use the three seashells.

Lenina Huxley: Anything not good for you is bad, hence, illegal. Alcohol, caffeine, contact sports, meat . . .

John Spartan: Are you shitting me?

Computer: John Spartan, you are fined one credit for a violation of the verbal morality statute.

John Spartan: What the Hell is that?

Computer: John Spartan, you are fined one credit . . .

Lenina Huxley: Bad language, child play, gasoline, uneducational toys, and anything spicy. Abortion is also illegal. But, then again so is pregnancy, if you don't have a license.

Let's hope they don't make us use the three seashells.

:hug:

I love that film. :love:

When will it end though? First smoking, then drinking, then what?

It won't happen with drinking because drinking within sensible limits is not dangerous, and research actually suggests some alcohol is actually beneficial compared to drinking none at all. Similarly, kitchen knives will never be banned, as they have a practical use. Food will never be banned, because we need it to live, and even fatty food is fine if eaten only occasionally as part of a healthy diet. The problem with these examples is the possibility of misuse, since people can make these become dangerous to their health, or to the health of other. People need to be better educated in order to not misuse these.

Smoking cannot be misused to damage your health - its primary and intended use causes damage itself, to both yourself and potentially others. There is no sensible limit to smoking; it is a nasty, foul habit that results in the second most common cause of death in men, behind cardiovascular-related diseases. And ironically, it plays a major part in the development of cardiovascular diseases, too.

Smokers will only back their habit should they not fall ill; should they be affected they'll realise what a silly mistake they've been making. Don't be chumpy.