NEurope
Hero-of-Time

NBA Jam!!

Were you unenthused by the rumor that EA Sports new title would be an NFL-branded trainer for the Wii? You'll like this one better. ESPN.com says the game will be an updated NBA Jam, for the Wii.

Citing "unnamed sources," ESPN.com says EA Sports got the rights from the NBA to deliver an updated version of the arcade classic for retail release. The report adds that the game's creator, Mark Turmell, has been hired on by EA Sports Canada to consult on the product.

NBA Jam was a wildly successful 2-on-2 basketball game first released by Midway to the arcades in 1993, and later ported by Acclaim to the Super Nintendo and Genesis. The success of EA Sports' arcade-style titles for the NHL and NFL in the past year makes it a good bet they'd want to spin up an NBA offering sometime soon. The demise of Midway (and Acclaim back in 2004), also means the NBA Jam name is likely held by someone unlikely to develop it anytime soon, and probably happy to make a quick buck off the IP.

An EA Sports spokesperson told Kotaku the publisher wouldn't comment on rumor or speculation - but did add the announcement is set for sometime next week.

I emailed contacts with EA Sports and the Vancouver studio to ask for comment.

Very exciting if true.

The NBA Jam games were a childhood favourite of mine so aslong as they keep all of the OTT moves and shots in the game, aswell as the wacky commentry, than im a happy man.

wow I remember playing NBA jam on my SNES it was a great game with Bill Clinton and Al Gore as unlockable characters :grin: it was so funny after getting like 3 3 points in a row the net would catch fire and the commentator would scream out "The Rings On Fire" or a few slam dunks in a row would cause the back board to shatter! This better be in the new game lol

Boomshalakalaka indeed!

Didn't see that one coming. Let's hope they honour the series and it's nothin' but net.

Yep, keep those Jam-references coming! ;)

EA's confirmed its NBA Jam remake for Wii.

EA Canada will revive "the most popular and culturally influential arcade basketball game ever made" with "vintage gameplay", and "all-new features" that deliver a fresh take, it says.

"Featuring the sights and sounds that fans of the franchise will instantly recognize, EA Sports NBA Jam mixes the old school with the new, to deliver a one-of-a-kind sports presentation on the Wii," reads EA's release.

"Featuring gameplay that is true to the original, NBA JAM will have players spinning with ankle breaking moves to the basket and on the way to high-flying, backboard-smashing dunks," it adds.

"NBA Jam brought an all-new visual style to the sports videogame genre when it debuted in 1993. Now, the new EA Sports NBA Jam re-defines the visuals for a sports game yet again by bringing true-to-life body types, updated physics, and visible player emotion to the over- the - top experience."

EA Sports boss, 'big' Peter Moore said of the announcement: "NBA Jam is one of the most recognizable franchises in videogame history. Diehard fans of the original game have been asking for a remake for more than a decade. We're very excited to give them their wish this year with the return of this iconic franchise."

Press Release

Electronic Arts Inc. (Nasdaq: ERTS) announced today that EA SPORTS™ is developing one of the most popular and culturally influential arcade basketball games ever made -- NBA JAM -- for the Nintendo Wii™. EA SPORTS NBA JAM revives the classic franchise with vintage NBA JAM gameplay, and all-new features that deliver a fresh new take on the game. Featuring the sights and sounds that fans of the franchise will instantly recognize, EA SPORTS NBA JAM mixes the old school with the new, to deliver a one-of-a-kind sports presentation on the Wii.

“NBA JAM is one of the most recognizable franchises in videogame history,” said Peter Moore, President, EA SPORTS. “Diehard fans of the original game have been asking for a remake for more than a decade. We’re very excited to give them their wish this year with the return of this iconic franchise.”

Featuring gameplay that is true to the original, NBA JAM will have players spinning with ankle breaking moves to the basket and on the way to high-flying, backboard-smashing dunks. In addition to the classic experience, EA SPORTS NBA JAM will also introduce new game modes, characters and gameplay depth.

NBA JAM brought an all-new visual style to the sports videogame genre when it debuted in 1993. Now, the new EA SPORTS NBA JAM re-defines the visuals for a sports game yet again by bringing true-to-life body types, updated physics, and visible player emotion to the over- the - top experience.

EA SPORTS NBA JAM is currently in development at EA Canada in Vancouver, BC and will be available for the Nintendo Wii videogame system in 2010. The game has not yet been rated by the ESRB or PEGI.

Edited by Dante

What's all the fuss about, is it more than just basketball?

In the words of King Jumbo Champloon: ......BASKET!!!!.....

You need to get into sports, kiddo. :heh:

I just came across the cover for the latest Nintendo Power via Tinycartridge's Twitter:

1GcM

Lies, you don't need to be into sports to enjoy the insanity of NBA Jam.

I was trying to remember what team I use to play with, but looking at the Wiki, the only name that rings a bell is Scottie Pippen.

It's basically basketball, with a completely mental representation of physics, plus a hilariously awesome commentator spouting some of the best one-liners ever. :wink:

Word. :grin:

Although he does like Mario Kart... and that's kinda like a sport. :laughing:

Actually that's a good way to explain NBA Jam to you, Fused King. It'll do to basketball what Mario Kart does to karting, i.e. take a real life sport and add some extra awesomeness! :D

Anyway, I really hope they don't mess this up. I am optimistic though, as GST was quality and NBA Street V3 was pretty rad too, so yeah EA Canada have definitely got what it takes I reckon.

I might have to dig out my GCN copy of Street V3 soon to refresh my memory of it.

And to re-experience the bizarreness that was this...

Hmm... Perhaps Mario and Co. will be in the new NBA JAM too? :hehe:

I never played it on the SNES, but I have heard of eet. Just watching some yootoob vids of it naw. It would be great if they went all Punchout!! Wii or Mario Strikers Charged on this. :)

I guess EA feel that on the Wii and with WiiMotionPlus they can do with this sports franchise what they were able to do with Grand Slam Tennis and Tiger Woods. Much more immersion, hence the exclusivity...

...but I'm not sure how you do that with Basketball?! I wouldn't have thought they'd draw much inspiration from WSR Basketball, would they?

I guess EA feel that on the Wii and with WiiMotionPlus they can do with this sports franchise what they were able to do with Grand Slam Tennis and Tiger Woods. Much more immersion, hence the exclusivity...

...but I'm not sure how you do that with Basketball?! I wouldn't have thought they'd draw much inspiration from WSR Basketball, would they?

There's always a way. I was a bit confused as to how exactly Mario Charged Football would work, but it worked really well, I thought.

Actually, if you took that game and replaced the footballs with basketballs, it would work. I would bluddy love a game like that. :heh:

I'm not sure how exactly you'd use WiiMotionPlus, though. Or at least, how it would be used well. Think on this, I will.

Is this franchise more leniant with the rules of basketball?... for example, do you think in this new version they might let you run/move around more (instead of limited steps), because that would loosen the game up a bit.

You could 'run' with the nunchuck, 'waggle' the wiimote up and down to bounce the ball, hold 'B' to pause... aim with the pointer at a player/basket, and then motion your throw with different strengths for height/length of pass/shot etc...

Whatever they choose... it would need some working on.

Actually a lot of it would depend on the perspective they choose, third person or overhead court view.

Is this franchise more leniant with the rules of basketball?... for example, do you think in this new version they might let you run/move around more (instead of limited steps), because that would loosen the game up a bit.

You could 'run' with the nunchuck, 'waggle' the wiimote up and down to bounce the ball, hold 'B' to pause... aim with the pointer at a player/basket, and then motion your throw with different strengths for height/length of pass/shot etc...

Whatever they choose... it would need some working on.

Actually a lot of it would depend on the perspective they choose, third person or overhead court view.

I really don't think waggling the wiimote up and down to bounce the ball is a good idea, imo. It would be a bit tedious after a while.

That's the SNES game. Now, when the whistle goes at the start, you could flick up on the remote to intercept the ball. You could also flick up to block, so if an opponent is shooting at your basket, you could get in their way and flick up to block.

As for controls, there's quite a few possibilities. You could pass the ball with the A button. Or, is the Wiimote going to be used with that? Or could that be used for shooting? Or maybe A plus Wiimote is pass and B plus Wiimote is shoot? There's a few options there.

I can think of a basic control scheme, but I'm not sure how to take advantage of the sensors.

He's on fire!

Awesome news. Glad to see that I'm not alone in my affections for NBA Jam! (And my love for the GC's NBA Street V3 too RS.) Played it to death on the SNES (and my mates inferior MD version.)

I can imagine swipes are motions, jumps are flicks up and to shoot is to flick down. Be good to have a NES setup/CController support too.

Online should be a given as well what with EA nation being the biz. I would also appreciate a few of the customisation/career modes from NBA Street - sadly a single player arcade title needs a little more 'oomph!' these days.

0:37, .....LUIGI MAKING A STATEMENT:hehe:!!!!:o

I might just consider NBA Jam for Wii, even more so if Mario and co. make an appearance.

If Luigi is promised to make a statement in this game, INSTANT BUY:D

Info from the Nintendo Power mag:

- 2 Modes, 1 is called Classic Campaign, plays pretty much identical to previous NBA Jams, 2v2, no rules other than shot clock and goaltending. The other is called Remix Tour, which is different, changing the core mechanics, rule tweaks, and camera tweaks etc. The devs didnt want to go into detail on the Remix Tour mode yet.

- Theres tons of new dunks, a new spin move that can evade the shove move.

- The faces are actual photograph captures, each character has multiple faces, 3 faces while running the court, 2 dunk faces, and a positive and negative face. (Looks hilarious.

Basically its 3d bodies with 2d heads)

- Option of motion controls or holding the wiimote sideways. Didnt see any mention of the Classic Controller

- NP provided a checklist of what is in the game:

Fire

Shattering Backboard

Cheats

Flashing Shoes

Flashing ball

Big Head Mode

Legends

Playable Mascots

Secret Characters

Sounding sweet, the only thing I'm slightly concerned about now is the soundtrack. I just really hope that EA don't go with a contemporary track list, I mean I'm assuming they're going to use licensed music, as is pretty much standard with EA sports titles. But if they want to be really cool and stay true to the inspiration behind the original NBA Jam's music, they should compile a track listing of nothing but old school, classic jams! Sorry. :laughing:

Here are some of my suggestions for perfect, old school music to licence for NBA JAM, so take note EA Canada! (You never know, they might check out N-Europe forums. :heh:)...

The Bar-Kays - Hit And Run - 1981

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

The Puncher - Shot Out - 1984

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

George Clinton - (Not Just) Knee Deep - 1979

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Kadenza - Let's Do It - 1982

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Tom Browne - Thighs High (Grip Your Hips And Move) - 1980

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Ronnie Hudson - West Coast Poplock - 1982

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Afrika Bambaataa & Soulsonic Force - Frantic Situation - 1984

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Herbie Hancock - Rock It - 1983

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

The Dazz Band - Joystick - 1983

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Mid Air - Ease Out - 1984

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

One Way - Cutie Pie - 1982

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Freestyle Express - Don't Stop The Rock - 1985

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Glory - Let's Get Nice - 1981

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Midnight Star - Electricity -1983

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Rick James - Big Time - 1980

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

George Clinton - Pumpin' It Up - 1983

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

:bouncy:

Go on EA, you know you want to.

haha this does look great!!

I love the innovative graphic approach of 2D on 3D... very clever!

It's just 2 on 2 though... does that work well?

yep :)

You're mostly better off when sport titles don't try to be realistic. 2 on 2 is simplistic but it made the originals very fun. Hopefully another classic 4 player title

that does look great. i really hope it plays like the original, it was one of the best sports games on the snes

Hahahahahaha. I had tears in my eyes when I saw that picture. Looks brilliant.

I hope we get to see some footage of how it plays soon, and controls.