N-Europe

Rage Against The Machine Xmas No. 1 2009

Tom Morello was on 6 Music today.

Taken from NME:

You miss this part out:

The Facebook page includes a link to the Shelter site, which has raised nearly £30,000 in donations for the homeless, and Morello revealed the charity effort does not stop there.

"Me personally, I am going to donate part of my proceeds from the sales to an organisation in the UK called Youth Music, which is the UK’s largest children’s music charity. My hope is that one of the results of this whole thing is that there will be a new generation of rockers who will take on the establishment with the music they write."

Also opps to 5Live.

BBC Airs F-Word Song At Breakfast Time

The BBC faces embarrassment after an expletive-laden song was broadcast to more than two million morning radio listeners.

A live performance of Rage Against The Machine's Killing In The Name was aired on Radio 5live Breakfast shortly before 9am.

The alt-rock band had chatted to the show on the campaign to get the song to the Christmas number one spot.

The group were then invited to perform the 1992 hit - which is rivalling X Factor winner Joe McElderry for the festive top spot - live on air.

But minutes into the performance, lead singer Zach de la Rocha could be heard repeatedly screaming the song's refrain: "F*** you, I won't do what you tell me".

The song was eventually interrupted by desperate host Shelagh Fogarty shouting: "Get rid of it".

She then explained: "Sorry. We needed to get rid of that because it suddenly turned into something we weren't expecting.

"Well, we were expecting it, and had asked them not to do it, but they did it anyway, so buy Joe's record."

Stuttering co-host Nicky Campbell later admitted being too "engaged" with the track.

A BBC spokesman later said: "5 live breakfast featured a live broadcast of the song Killing in the Name by Rage Against the Machine.

"We had spoken to the band repeatedly beforehand and they had agreed not to swear.

"When they did we faded the band out and apologised immediately to anyone who was offended."

The error occurred less than 24 hours after George Michael had uttered the f-word during Chris Evan's drivetime show on Radio 2.

Evans, who is soon to replace the retiring legend Terry Wogan in the station's breakfast slot, "sincerely apologised" to listeners for any offence the singer caused.

BBC radio shows have faced closer scrutiny following the well-publicised phone scandal involving Jonathan Ross and Russell Brand last year.

Edited by Dante
Automerged Doublepost

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn you Dante, I was just about to post that. I do like the quick flip reverse on the bullshit:

She then explained: "Sorry. We needed to get rid of that because it suddenly turned into something we weren't expecting.

Really?

"Well, we were expecting it, and had asked them not to do it, but they did it anyway."

It's as if the chorus wasn't the real one, but in fact their response to them asking them not to. It's just coincidence they sound exactly the same.

My main problem is that RATM is not the sort of song that should be number 1 at Christmas. Another time for the year sure, I don't care. But Christmas is a festive season and I don't want "Fuck you I wont do what you tell me" being screamed all over the radio at the happiest time of the year.

Embarrassing for our country.

My main problem is that RATM is not the sort of song that should be number 1 at Christmas. Another time for the year sure, I don't care. But Christmas is a festive season and I don't want "Fuck you I wont do what you tell me" being screamed all over the radio at the happiest time of the year.

Mary said "Fuck you, I won't do what you tell me" when she fled to give birth to Jesus and then hid him, despite Herod's explicit intructions to kill all children.

Sort of. :santa:

BBC radio shows have faced closer scrutiny following the well-publicised phone scandal involving Jonathan Ross and Russell Brand last year.

AGAIN with mentioning that. What the fuck? Let it go already.

Everytime they report on swearing on anything BBC-related they go and mention that. :indeed:

That's the highlight of this whole thing. Very funny. "GET RID OF IT!"

:D

That's brilliant. I love the way that he just sang "I won't do what you tell me" quietly, until it gradually built up again, and then he shouted it out.

They're idiots for thinking Rage would tone it down. Maybe they should have asked for an acoustic rendition of it, with bagpipes. Maybe that's sweet enough for their early morning listeners. :heh:

I want to know what happened to campaign to get the Muppet Bohemian Rhapsody to number 1 went. I'm sure one was made.

AGAIN with mentioning that. What the fuck? Let it go already.

Everytime they report on swearing on anything BBC-related they go and mention that. :indeed:

Because Russell Brand is still alive. The moment he is dead and justice is done, it won't be mentioned anymore.

No more embarrassing than X factor.

:D

That's brilliant. I love the way that he just sang "I won't do what you tell me" quietly, until it gradually built up again, and then he shouted it out.

They're idiots for thinking Rage would tone it down. Maybe they should have asked for an acoustic rendition of it, with bagpipes. Maybe that's sweet enough for their early morning listeners. :heh:

It's their own fault to be fair. If they'd done any research into who RATM were they may have realised they aren't just going to do as their told and tone it down. Though this is the BBC after all. I did laugh when he just started swearing, the band probably got a giggle out of that.

Rage still leading running for Christmas number one

More than 80,000 CD sales yesterday were not enough to allow Joe McElderry’s The Climb to overtake Rage Against The Machine’s Killing In the Name at the top of the midweek singles charts.

However, the physical release of the single from the X Factor winner did allow it to cut the LA band’s lead at the top of the midweeks to just under 37,000 copies today from around 65,000 yesterday, according to figures from the Official Charts Company.

Killing In The Name has sold around 253,000 copies so far this week, all of them digital. The majority of The Climb’s sales are still digital but this may change with the CD single now widely available.

Many retailers who do not traditionally stock CD singles – including Asda and Tesco – are stocking The Climb on CD.

The two singles are leading one of the closest races in years for the Christmas number one single. A number of bookmakers have now installed Rage Against The Machine as the favourite to top the festive charts.

http://www.musicweek.com/story.asp?sectioncode=1&storycode=1039443&c=1

so, today:

- Apparently around 40,000 - 60,000 more sales than "The Climb"

- RATM performed "Killing In The Name" live on BBC Radio5, and got cut off for swearing.

- Dave Grohl from Foo Fighters and Dom from Muse have expressed their support

- Nearly £50,000 raised for homeless charity at http://www.justgiving.com/ratm4xmas/

it aint over yet boi

PERSONAL MINISCULE MONIES FOR YOU!

There's more than one reason that people dislike the x-factor. Some reasons do not conflict with purchasing the RATM single. Some do. I fall into the latter, because to me what is wrong with this society is about the money. Anything else - the choices available, the alienation of being in the minority - is not just correlated but caused by our society's fixation on biggerbetteretcetc.

Einstein once said something about how it takes a genius to think small, to think beyond the necessity for necessities.

As a bystander to the whole event, I'd much prefer RATM get to number 1. Thought loses effort here.

Cheryl Cole lashes out at Rage Against The Machine

Cheryl Cole has launched an attack on Rage Against The Machine for sabotaging the Christmas Number One race. Despite the US band themselves not orchestrating the Facebook campaign to get 'Killing In The Name' to the top of the charts ahead of X Factor winner Joe McElderry, Cole said the battle had now reached biblical levels. "It's David versus Goliath and it's not fair on Joe. It's getting out of hand." She went on to say that the thought of a US band topping the charts at Christmas was just wrong. "If that song, or should I say campaign, by an American group is our Christmas Number One I'll be gutted for him and our charts" (The Sun).

http://www.nme.com/news/daily-gossip/48945

Diddums...

Followed by jokes...

MY RAGE AGAINST THE BEEB MACHINE

Simon Cowell insists the BBC is biased against The X Factor's Joe McElderry in the Christmas chart battle.

He claims the BBC is giving more plugs to Rage Against The Machine's rival single as it does not want the ITV1 show winner to be No1.

Cowell said: "Joe doesn't deserve to be stuck in the middle of this. A campaign aimed at harming his chart position is unnecessary."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2009/12/18/my-rage-against-the-beeb-machine-115875-21905679/

My God! Poor Joe is such a victim... :weep:

:indeed:

Fellow X Factor judge Louis Walsh said: 'This is taking the fun out of the race for Christmas number one.'

Haha! Because there is an actual race this year?

Anyways, Saturday tomorrow which means the CD sales are going to go boom, I suspect.

Edit: I wish the Xmas lights actually did do this.

Edited by Daft