N-Europe

[SPOILERS!!] The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Dante

As expected, people are already picking through the trailer and one thing could be a very interesting find if it's correct. I'll tag is because Retro/others may not want potential spoilers although at this point, it's mere speculation:

majorasmask.png

^ Could it be Skull Kid?

Certainly very interesting and will no doubt set of a whole string of theories over what this game is about.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aonuma's flying hint couldn't have been more obvious, and everything we've seen of this game gives a very strong sky feel. Flying through the clouds for both logo reveals, doors with bird imagery on them etc... - Again, we really haven't seen anything about this game apart from the motion controls, there's still a hell of a lot to reveal at E3.

That could all be no more than hints at the separation between skyworld and the ground. And it's not like we've seen Link flying, he just jumped and fell. As I said: I'm not getting my hopes up.

I totally agree. The graphics now look incredibly washed out and dull, which is a huge disappointment. What happened to the vibrant colours of the original trailer? It was like a breath of fresh air after TP, now we seem to have gone even more bland and lifeless!

I'm with you, Grazza and the others on the graphics there. But I believe the video makes it look much worse than it is. For one, it's universally so washed out, that you might believe there is a permanent "fog" filter on the image. And: The images in this article are not washed out at all. So mostly blame the camera this was filmed with.

One more thing: In terms of what game uses the more bland color palette, this doesn't hold a candle against Twilight princess!

tpmuddy.png

;)

Good spot on the stills looking more colourful Burny, cheers, comparing the two it does seem you're right and the whole video is misleadingly washed out

But as for the flying mechanic, fair enough don't get your hopes up but this is what Aonuma said:

"I have an eight-year-old son myself at home, and quite recently he started playing The Phantom Hourglass for DS, because when the software first hit the market he was too young. When he started playing with the boat, I told him: 'In the next Zelda, you are going to be able to ride on the train.' He answered: 'OK, Dad, first boat, and then train? Surely next time, Link is going to fly in the sky ... '. (Aonuma says with a grin)

Which seems to suggest flying will play as big a part in Link's travels as sailing in WW and using the train in Spirit Tracks. If Nintendo didn't want to reveal the sailing aspect of Wind Waker in the first couple of trailers they could have easily shown action from only the dungeons or the larger land masses in the game, which could be what's happened here with Skyward Sword.

Edited by Ronnie

"I have an eight-year-old son myself at home, and quite recently he started playing The Phantom Hourglass for DS, because when the software first hit the market he was too young. When he started playing with the boat, I told him: 'In the next Zelda, you are going to be able to ride on the train.' He answered: 'OK, Dad, first boat, and then train? Surely next time, Link is going to fly in the sky ... '. (Aonuma says with a grin)

Which seems to suggest flying will play as big a part in Link's travels as sailing in WW and using the train in Spirit Tracks. If Nintendo didn't want to reveal the sailing aspect of Wind Waker in the first couple of trailers they could have easily shown action from only the dungeons or the larger land masses in the game, which could be what's happened here with Skyward Sword.

Don't post stuff like that! I don't want to get my hopes up! ;)

That trailer left me with nothing. The motion controls look like they're gonna be a bit gimmicky, hopefully they wont be but it certainly looks that way.

This is the least excited I've ever been about a new Zelda game (good be a good thing though, low expectations, etc)...

This looks very different to traditional Zelda to me.

Some people are saying "samey". The only thing samey is the level themes and if you seriously think Nintendo are going to avoid having fire dungeons, etc then I dunno what planet you live on.

Everything else shows a shift in focus. The combat seems to be deeper and very sword slash focused, puzzles seem to have a very definite motion focus (like rotating the cube) which shows evidence that we can expect many new types of Zelda puzzle as opposed to the traditional types.

Overall it seems like we can expect a slower experience from the game, with more time spent in immersive situations requiring focus and less running around slashing like a madman.

That makes logical sense though. By making the game far more motion oriented, it makes sense they wouldn't want you flailing your arms endlessly, so there'll be a lower quantity of combat, but it'll take far more skill.

This looks very different to traditional Zelda to me.

Some people are saying "samey". The only thing samey is the level themes and if you seriously think Nintendo are going to avoid having fire dungeons, etc then I dunno what planet you live on.

Everything else shows a shift in focus. The combat seems to be deeper and very sword slash focused, puzzles seem to have a very definite motion focus (like rotating the cube) which shows evidence that we can expect many new types of Zelda puzzle as opposed to the traditional types.

Overall it seems like we can expect a slower experience from the game, with more time spent in immersive situations requiring focus and less running around slashing like a madman.

That makes logical sense though. By making the game far more motion oriented, it makes sense they wouldn't want you flailing your arms endlessly, so there'll be a lower quantity of combat, but it'll take far more skill.

I agree with you that there seems to be a shift in focus, but the general feel of the game remains the same, which is fine. And of course we still don't know a huge amount about it, they only seem to be divulging the motion controls in the two trailers so far.

The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced there was a far more elaborate and 'different' Zelda planned but it was shelved at the last minute, and they're making Skyward Sword instead. Miyamoto went on about how TP would be the last Zelda of it's kind, and everyone was expecting a revamp of traditional quest. I reckon they're now holding that off until the next console Zelda, on what I would assume is the new system, maybe where it can be better implemented.

The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced there was a far more elaborate and 'different' Zelda planned but it was shelved at the last minute, and they're making Skyward Sword instead. Miyamoto went on about how TP would be the last Zelda of it's kind, and everyone was expecting a revamp of traditional quest. I reckon they're now holding that off until the next console Zelda, on what I would assume is the new system, maybe where it can be better implemented.

Hmm... I think you're right about the first part. Back in those days (2007, 2008), Nintendo were more focused on the casual/blue ocean (whatever people want to call it) market. Remember, they didn't even plan a Nunchuk for the Wii until Retro Studios insisted upon it. Imagine that, no analogue stick! My theory is that, as Nintendo didn't really "want" a Nunchuk, they had in mind a Zelda that only used the Wii Remote, sort of a point & click. Of course, I'm straying far into the realm of speculation here.

Then something happened - Nintendo went hardcore crazy around 2009. They revealed Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Metroid: Other M in the same E3, the former having insanely difficult challenges. I can't remember exactly when, but it was around this time that Eiji Aonuma revealed that "Zelda Wii" would be based on the Twilight Princess engine, which came as a surprise to me (for the reasons you mention).

So, I do think they changed tactics. However, I'm doubtful we'll see that "Fresh Zelda" on the next machine because I, rightly or wrongly, always imagined it as a "Casual Zelda". Sorry to people who dislike those terms, it's just the best way I can explain what I mean.

Going to have to agree with Ronnie here. The washed out colour palette is really disappointing. I'm hoping it's just the video, because I was really starting to dig the high contrast one of last E3 (where the blacks were truly black, and the whites were extremely white).

I wonder if we'll end up getting orchestrated music for this?

wow, all these years I have told myself that one day I won't spoil myself by watching the trailers of a Zelda game and never come into forums discussing about it, yet it's completely the opposite of why I am leaving this thread, it's like I am in a baby day care center and all the babies are crying over the stupidest thing, and no matter how much you give and care, their crying gets louder.

I totally agree. The graphics now look incredibly washed out and dull, which is a huge disappointment. What happened to the vibrant colours of the original trailer? It was like a breath of fresh air after TP, now we seem to have gone even more bland and lifeless!

Or because it is off-screen and poor quality video footage?

Better quality than the last one that was posted before.

hmm

VhQfi.pngGildedSword.jpg

new logo:

2ir4uh1.jpg

Edited by Dante
Automerged Doublepost

The tears here taste delicious.

Also I ended up seeing this trailer by accident. This alone got me incredibly hyped up, it looked to me rather different me than the previous traditional Zelda titles, the vibe I got was totally different. The style and focus just seemed to be in a different direction in that short time I oogled at the screen.

Is it likely they'll release in game shots like they did for the first reveal?

wow, all these years I have told myself that one day I won't spoil myself by watching the trailers of a Zelda game and never come into forums discussing about it, yet it's completely the opposite of why I am leaving this thread, it's like I am in a baby day care center and all the babies are crying over the stupidest thing, and no matter how much you give and care, their crying gets louder.

How very predictable of you, and the huge chip on your shoulder about Zelda and its fans. Get the **** over it. No one is crying over anything. Yes some Zelda fanboys go crazy and whine like crazy about anything, that isn't the case here. We're just sharing our worries whilst also being really excited about the release.

Edited by Ronnie

@ The Logo: I've just realized... Will this game explain the origin of the Hylian Royal Crest? Holy shit if this is the case, wouldn't expect something like that to ever be relevant.

@ Gilded Sword comparison: AAAAAHHHHHHH!! That would be amazing!

@ The Logo: I've just realized... Will this game explain the origin of the Hylian Royal Crest? Holy shit if this is the case, wouldn't expect something like that to ever be relevant.

Yeah I was thinking that earlier... I remember something like this being theorized about Wind Waker too though. We won't know plot details like that until the game comes out, but it is fun to speculate :laughing:

I just assumed it was a temporary logo? Most Zelda's have them until a final one is shown a few months before release.

Mind you the two screen shots I posted up the page share the bird imagery, so who knows. If the game does involve flying through the skies, it's a pretty good bet the Hylian symbol will get some explanation :)