Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

[SPOILERS!!] The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Dante

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well in terms of flying, they could give you just a vast expanse of sky to play around in, in the same way Wind Wakers ocean is just a vast expanse of sea, and have it dotted with mountain top temples/villages and some other more wacky floating/being held up by balloons etc... land masses/objects.

Exactly. One of the things that impressed me about Wind Waker was how the islands didn't suddenly pop up or have any loading times. The GameCube could do it, so can the Wii. I love this approach. Skyward Sword looks like it's modelled after the more restricted design of Twilight Princess. Even if Skyward Sword wasn't themed to the air (or sea), I would like the Wind Waker method applied to fields. Large spaces are OK by me.

The new SS trailer looked good on first viewing, but the thing that I'm disappointed with was how bland the colour pallette looked, compared to the first trailer, which was far more colourful and beautiful IMO. The visuals also seem to have moved away from Wind Waker, and more towards TP.

Need to watch it again though.

Fantastic news about a 25th anniversary... something... from Nintendo, can't wait :)

The new SS trailer looked good on first viewing, but the thing that I'm disappointed with was how bland the colour pallette looked, compared to the first trailer, which was far more colourful and beautiful IMO. The visuals also seem to have moved away from Wind Waker, and more towards TP.

Need to watch it again though.

Fantastic news about a 25th anniversary... something... from Nintendo, can't wait :)

Indeed, Miyamoto is working on something to let Zelda lovers celibrate the anniversary together!: peace:

AWESOME!

Gameplay trailer as expected. Definitely looks like their doing some interesting stuff with the Motion Plus to make it more engaging and different from previous games.

Would like to see of the bigger picture, if people get what I mean. We got a slight glimpse of that at the end with the unknown character sitting atop that thing then vanishing but I think it would have been nice to show a little more of the context within which all these new gameplay ideas are taking place. Don't get me wrong, the gameplay looks great but it would have been nice to see a bit more of the world, the characters or the story, even as a tease to build up to E3.

Visually, looked a little washed out which is a shame. The watercolour style is what I championed before it was revealed and although I still like it, I'd like to see them take it a little further as well and maybe be a bit more flamboyant (probably not the best word here but I hope people understand what I'm getting at) with the colour. They're doing it in the design clearly but just do a little more with the colouring for the terrain and such.

Indeed, Miyamoto is working on something to let Zelda lovers celibrate the anniversary together!: peace:

AWESOME!

What I like about this announcement is that they seem to be planning something special, unlike the Mario Collection on the Wii.

I actually thought the Skyward Sword footage was quite uninspiring.. but was glad to hear they have something planned for the 25th anniversary :smile:

I loved it. The music was great, the animation fluid, the puzzles look fantastic and the appearance of that mystery character was the icing on the cake.

I've watched and rewatched this trailer 3 or 4 times, and I can't shake this image of Conan the Barbarian from my head. I think it's the music.

Coincidentally, the famous "Legend of Zelda 2004" trailer actually used music from Conan the Barbarian (as you're probably aware).

OK... This Skyward Sword trailer is a lot better than the last and it's sent my hype soaring. I loved the huge Moblin (!!!) with its spear and destructable shield.

A couple of concerns though: 1) the gimmicky motion control. But OK, I'm just gonna have to get used to that. This game will be released, motion control and all, and I'm hoping then people come to the conclusion that it doesn't fit in a Zelda game. My biggest concern is the next Zelda (on the Wii 2) having motion control. I hope Nintendo gets it out if its system by then. Not just Nintendo, but sites like IGN. I want to say to them "You've finally got your 1:1 motion control. Happy? No, it's crap, isn't it?"

2) The graphics. As others have said, they are washed-out. I always thought the E3 2010 version of Skyward Sword needed stronger blacks, more black "ink", if you like, to provide contrast with the gorgeous colours. Now they are just duller and less vibrant.

But as I've said before, I don't really care if Skyward Sword isn't perfect. If this needs to be a game where Nintendo experiments with a lot of things, so be it. Bring it on.

Again, heavy focus on gameplay. I think it looks good.

If they get flying in at all, they might make it a surprise. I'm not getting my hopes up though. Actual flying requires a space to fly in. As Zelda's gameworlds consist of smaller areas and I doubt they'll change that on the Wii, it's not that easy to make it useful. At best, I'd hope for an abstracted mechanic. Kind of like Wind Waker's sailing, just in the clouds.

Though I'd be happy enough, if they leave it out altogether. It's not that there are no other interesting mechanics left they could do.

A couple of concerns though: 1) the gimmicky motion control. But OK, I'm just gonna have to get used to that. This game will be released, motion control and all, and I'm hoping then people come to the conclusion that it doesn't fit in a Zelda game. My biggest concern is the next Zelda (on the Wii 2) having motion control. I hope Nintendo gets it out if its system by then. Not just Nintendo, but sites like IGN. I want to say to them "You've finally got your 1:1 motion control. Happy? No, it's crap, isn't it?"

More daydreaming. Who'd have thought... Btw. 1:1 motion controls are a myth. Or a marketing lie, if you want. It's nothing more than more accurate gesture control.

Edited by Burny

Again, heavy focus on gameplay. I think it looks good.

If they get flying in at all, they might make it a surprise. I'm not getting my hopes up though. Actual flying requires a space to fly in. As Zelda's gameworlds consist of smaller areas and I doubt they'll change that on the Wii, it's not that easy to make it useful. At best, I'd hope for an abstracted mechanic. Kind of like Wind Waker's sailing, just in the clouds.

Though I'd be happy enough, if they leave it out altogether. It's not that there are no other interesting mechanics left they could do.

More daydreaming. Who'd have thought...

Aonuma's flying hint couldn't have been more obvious, and everything we've seen of this game gives a very strong sky feel. Flying through the clouds for both logo reveals, doors with bird imagery on them etc... - Again, we really haven't seen anything about this game apart from the motion controls, there's still a hell of a lot to reveal at E3.

2) The graphics. As others have said, they are washed-out. I always thought the E3 2010 version of Skyward Sword needed stronger blacks, more black "ink", if you like, to provide contrast with the gorgeous colours. Now they are just duller and less vibrant.

I totally agree. The graphics now look incredibly washed out and dull, which is a huge disappointment. What happened to the vibrant colours of the original trailer? It was like a breath of fresh air after TP, now we seem to have gone even more bland and lifeless!

Looks ok so far, but not really inspiring so far. Just remember from a while ago someone at Nintendo maybe Miyamoto hyping this game up in a way that this game would stretch beyond the generic Zelda formula, as well as other features to be a great game, but from the trailers and footage so far I've not really seen anything ground breaking. I do like the visual style but I just hope Nintendo has planned many surprises.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!