Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

General Switch Discussion

Ashley

11 hours ago, Dcubed said:

That’s exactly why they aren’t allowing it for Splatoon 2; it’s to stop people from cheating.

What they should’ve done in the first place was to store your online progress, well, online! But because they were dumb enough to store it locally, now they’re stuck.

you're right actually. I really don't know why it wasn't like this already.

Looking to get my Switch hardwired to my router, it's been a very long time since I did anything with networks or cables though. Could do with some recommendations...

LAN adaptor - The official one seems pricey, will any 3rd party one do?

Network cable - Think I'll need about 15m, will any old network cable do or should I get a particular speed/type?

Network hub - I might as well plug up my PS4 and 360 up too, what's the best value option?

For the USB to ethernet adapter a lot of them work, but I think this one is used a lot as it's cheap on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MYTSN18/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For a cable I think a Cat5e cable is good enough, unless you will have a lot of them running alongside each other, then go for a Cat6 cable. Don't know brands of these, there is difference in quality but I used the one that came with my modem/router.

Finally the network hub. I've got a Sitecom 5 port switch meaning 1 in and 4 out. I've got a gigabit one. Other good brands are TP Link, Netgear or Linksys.

I think this is the one I have, sorry for the Dutch website: https://www.sitecom.com/nl/gigabit-switch-5-port/ln-120/p/81

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Mandalore said:

Looking to get my Switch hardwired to my router, it's been a very long time since I did anything with networks or cables though. Could do with some recommendations...

LAN adaptor - The official one seems pricey, will any 3rd party one do?

Network cable - Think I'll need about 15m, will any old network cable do or should I get a particular speed/type?

Network hub - I might as well plug up my PS4 and 360 up too, what's the best value option?

I bought this LAN adptor last year and would highly recommend it. It made a huge difference to online on the switch for me.

For example, my router is in the same room as my switch and yet with the Switch's WiFi normally gets 2 bars no matter where I move it to. There is nothing else in my room that should be causing any interference with the signal so i have to assume its the Switch's wifi that's the cause. Another thing is I used to get disconnected quite frequently in Splatoon 2 and have issues with latency mid-game, I never have that problem now at all.

Also the internet speeds when using WiFi were 1/4 of what they should be (you can run a speed test in the Switch's menu). USB adapter seemed to fix all of that.

Edited by Helmsly
  • Thanks 1

Colorware have gone all the way and have finally gone ahead and painted an NES-inspired Switch. 

fg.png

They also have an American SNES-inspired Switch, too. 

fg.png

The price tag is steep, though, at $599. There are also Joy-Cons and Pro Controllers with these themes being sold separately. Not really a fan of the SNES one, but I think the NES one looks pretty sleek. 

C’mon Nintendo, just hurry up and give us some more colour variants for the Switch...

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Esequiel said:

So - I’m pretty much done with the switch now... where’s the best place to get rid of it? CEX is fine for the console but I don’t want to sell Mario Kart, Mario odyssey, 1-2 switch, Sega sonic collection and whatever else for £20 lol

You'll end up losing money when you buy it again later down the line, which is what happens to most people who sell their consoles early lol