NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

I love Chain Chomp so I'd be all for it. It's somehow only just occurred to me how similar in design those two are! 

The Twitch app is going to be discontinued on Switch early next year:

Hello,

We are reaching out to let you know that we have made the hard decision to remove the Twitch App from the Nintendo Switch. The app will be removed January 31, 2024.

Thank you for supporting Twitch streamers and communities on the Nintendo Switch. For more Twitch content, please visit https://www.twitch.tv/ on your browser or https://www.twitch.tv/downloads for the Twitch App on other devices.

Thank you,

-Twitch

I found that it barely worked. If you ever tried to watch a stream that had commercials, they would loop endlessly or you would get a message informing you that you "cannot view this channel on this device". The only time I got it to work properly was if i put my own channel on (I would use my Switch as a second screen to make sure it was broadcasting properly). I do find it annoying that rather then improving the app they're ending it though.

It was barely on Switch for two years. And it seems hardly anyone knew it existed lol

Edited by Helmsly

Yesterday morning we got Nintendo's earnings report for Q2 FY24, covering the period of 1st July 2023 - 30th September 2023. 

The Big Takeaways

• The Nintendo Switch across its different SKUs sold 2.93 million units in Q2 (1st July 2023 - 30th September 2023), bringing sales for the first half of FY24 up to 6.84 million units, and this all means that the total lifetime sales of the Switch now stand at 132.46 million units. As a reminder - now that we seem to be all but confirmed to be heading into the Switch's final holiday sales period before the console's successor arrives next year - Nintendo projected hardware sales of 15 million units for this fiscal year (ending 31st March 2024). 
  • I say that the Switch successor arriving in the next 12 months seems all but confirmed as Nintendo President Furukawa declined to comment on plans for the console's successor, whereas as recently as May of this year he decisively stated that no new hardware releases were to come out of Nintendo in the following 12 months
  • With the Nintendo Switch entering its eighth year on the shelves in March 2024, Nintendo have stated that they will continue to release new titles and content "without being bound by the traditional concept of the platform lifecycle" - perfectly inline with their own previous statements on the planned lifespan of the Switch and what we already know of their software plans for 2024. Going forward, they would "also like to continue to see many consumers play Nintendo Switch, and to maintain [their] business momentum."
  • Nintendo Switch Online has over 38 million members as of 30th September 2023, with F-Zero 99 "being enjoyed by many people." Yeah, I don't know what that means either :p 
  • As for big releases since the last report, Pikmin 4 has sold through 2.5 million units since its launch in July, giving it the biggest cumulative sell-through of any game in the Pikmin series to date, and the biggest launch for the series across all regions. Additionally, Super Mario Bros. Wonder has sold-through 4.3 million units in its two weeks since launching on 20th October, making it the fastest-selling Super Mario title to date (since sell-through data collection began, so from the Wii/DS era onwards). 

Top 10 Best-selling Switch titles (as of 30th September 2023; new Top 10 entries in bold)

1. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 57.01M
  2. Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 43.38M
  3. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - 32.44M
  4. Breath of the Wild - 31.15M
  5. Super Mario Odyssey - 26.95M
  6. Pokemon Sword/Shield - 26.02M
  7. Pokemon Scarlet/Violet - 23.23M
  8. Super Mario Party - 19.66M
  9. Tears of the Kingdom - 19.50M
  10. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe - 15.41M
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The eye watering sales of their software never fails to impress me. I still think their hardware sales will finally topple the PS2 record.

I imagine their next console will be out this time next year. I'm very curious to see when it will revealed. A lot of people are pegging it for a March reveal and September release.

10 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

The eye watering sales of their software never fails to impress me. I still think their hardware sales will finally topple the PS2 record.

I imagine their next console will be out this time next year. I'm very curious to see when it will revealed. A lot of people are pegging it for a March reveal and September release.

My money's on an April announcement (to kick off the new FY) and a November 2024 release.

Switch 1 should just about pass the PS2's total hardware sales by the time November 2024 rolls around, so Nintendo's ego will finally be properly stroked and they will be able to take their Pimp Crown back just in time for their next hardware to roll on in.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

Will download now. Nice timing since it's on sale on the eShop at the mo. Don't think I'll be rushing to get it, but I'll be trying it to see!

Hopefully there's a 100 platinum coin mission for trying it as I could do with a top up.

4 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Hopefully there's a 100 platinum coin mission for trying it as I could do with a top up.

I'm sure the greyed out "Play Game Trials Software" Mission will go live again tomorrow. I've 3,500+ platinum coins, 125 of which are expiring this month so I'll just get some more Animal Crossing icons if nothing decent cycles in. Taking a pass on the Mario RPG and Warioware ones incase they see it as a sign of interest.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, darksnowman said:

I'm sure the greyed out "Play Game Trials Software" Mission will go live again tomorrow. I've 3,500+ platinum coins, 125 of which are expiring this month so I'll just get some more Animal Crossing icons if nothing decent cycles in. Taking a pass on the Mario RPG and Warioware ones incase they see it as a sign of interest.

Don't forget the physical rewards! 

I got the calendar a few days ago, it's pretty cute 

https://store.nintendo.co.uk/en/my-nintendo/my-nintendo-rewards

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Josh64 said:

Don't forget the physical rewards! 

I got the calendar a few days ago, it's pretty cute 

https://store.nintendo.co.uk/en/my-nintendo/my-nintendo-rewards

I've read the calendar isn't so great. How you finding it? When the number expiring gets too unwieldy again, I'll probably order the rest of the posters to join the Gameboy set I already haven't displayed... the t-shirt I haven't worn... the keyrings lying there in their plastic...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, darksnowman said:

I've read the calendar isn't so great. How you finding it? When the number expiring gets too unwieldy again, I'll probably order the rest of the posters to join the Gameboy set I already haven't displayed... the t-shirt I haven't worn... the keyrings lying there in their plastic...

It's cute to look at, perhaps not that practical given that it's tiny lol. My favourite 'purchase' from there has been the Pikmin tea towel, I use it as a cover for my coffee table lol. I got the GBA poster set, they're great quality posters and I especially love the Mario Kart one for that classic early 00's CG. The Mario and Luigi one is a little bit pixelated if you look real close, so perhaps that art was blown up a bit too much. 

Edited by Josh64

42 minutes ago, Josh64 said:

It's cute to look at, perhaps not that practical given that it's tiny lol. My favourite 'purchase' from there has been the Pikmin tea towel, I use it as a cover for my coffee table lol. I got the GBA poster set, they're great quality posters and I especially love the Mario Kart one for that classic early 00's CG. The Mario and Luigi one is a little bit pixelated if you look real close, so perhaps that art was blown up a bit too much. 

Gutted that's sold out now, was going to order one soon.

Also want the coasters which are also sold out. :cry:

Hopefully they come back soon.

12 hours ago, Ike said:

Gutted that's sold out now, was going to order one soon.

Also want the coasters which are also sold out. :cry:

Hopefully they come back soon.

Keep the faith, I've definitely seen things come back before so it's not a one and done run like what I think was the case with things in the Nintendo VIP days 

On 22/11/2023 at 11:08 PM, Josh64 said:

Keep the faith, I've definitely seen things come back before so it's not a one and done run like what I think was the case with things in the Nintendo VIP days 

Just nabbed the tea towel. Missed the coasters the other week because I waited too long.

23 hours ago, Ike said:

Just nabbed the tea towel. Missed the coasters the other week because I waited too long.

Yay! I noticed a lot of stuff is back in stock now, I'm really tempted to get another Pikmin tea towel as it is lovely! 

On 04/12/2023 at 7:37 PM, Ike said:

The AC Roost coasters are back in stock if you have the points left. I just grabbed some 

26 minutes ago, BowserBasher said:

The AC Roost coasters are back in stock if you have the points left. I just grabbed some 

I got a set! Thank you!

• Thanks 1

Been offered a Switch OLED cheap so I'm currently debating whether or not to buy it. It's been long enough since I got rid of my original Switch that hopefully there's a good amount of games now for me to play. It's the Switch 2 stuff in the back of my mind that's giving me pause. If it ended up coming out with backwards compatibility then I'd feel like this was a waste of money but if doesn't then I wouldn't mind buying this to play some stuff on, especially now I enjoy handhelds more after the Steam Deck and now ROG Ally.

45 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Been offered a Switch OLED cheap so I'm currently debating whether or not to buy it. It's been long enough since I got rid of my original Switch that hopefully there's a good amount of games now for me to play. It's the Switch 2 stuff in the back of my mind that's giving me pause. If it ended up coming out with backwards compatibility then I'd feel like this was a waste of money but if doesn't then I wouldn't mind buying this to play some stuff on, especially now I enjoy handhelds more after the Steam Deck and now ROG Ally.

Just ask yourself what exclusive games are out on it that you want to play and could you wait until Switch 2 to play them? I'd be very shocked it Switch 2 wasn't backwards compatible. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Just ask yourself what exclusive games are out on it that you want to play and could you wait until Switch 2 to play them? I'd be very shocked it Switch 2 wasn't backwards compatible. 

The problem is, I wouldn't as this is Nintendo. I need to take a look back at all the rumours that were swirling around as I thought they were hinting no backwards compatibility and back to an LCD screen.

16 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I need to take a look back at all the rumours that were swirling around as I thought they were hinting no backwards compatibility

My general feel based on various things (the late-in-life big games, some comment Ubisoft made about Rabbids and more) is leaning towards it would be backwards compatible.

• Like 2

The issue with any of the info that has been put out there regarding the hardware in Switch 2, is that the damn thing has been delayed for so long now; the hardware would almost certainly have changed completely since we started getting info in 2021-2022.

I really doubt any of that old info would still be valid by now.  And if it is? God help Nintendo for how old and outdated that hardware would be by the time it launches in 2024-2025.

I ended up agreeing to the Switch anyway. It was a good enough deal that I'm happy enough getting it now for stuff to play and still upgrading if the Switch 2 comes out later this year and I want it.