NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

Sorry, but did I somehow end up in a different universe?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Weird 1

Yup. I don't get Sony's attitude. They need to see cross-platform as a resource. Even if you have the biggest playerbase, an even bigger player base is always better.

36 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Yeah I had that idea myself. But I'm no product designer. Personally I'd love to see a new official stand that provides a vertical mode though.

Wow, the blatant jab at Sony. I love it.

They need to release that trailer on TV. If only to get Sony to start considering what's best for the player.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sméagol said:

Yup. I don't get Sony's attitude. They need to see cross-platform as a resource. Even if you have the biggest playerbase, an even bigger player base is always better.

While I don't agree with it, it's not hard to understand why Sony are doing it. It's simply business. They don't want people spending money on another platform. Also, it's not as if this kind of stuff is above Microsoft. Jeff Gerstmann quizzed Phil Spencer about all of this during E3. Phil pretty much admitted they've done stuff like this in the past when they were in the lead and spoke about how things are when you are market leader. If the Xbox was in first place then who's to say that they wouldn't be doing the same thing? Of course it's all hypothetical but it's still worth thinking about.

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

While I don't agree with it, it's not hard to understand why Sony are doing it. It's simply business. They don't want people spending money on another platform. Also, it's not as if this kind of stuff is above Microsoft. Jeff Gerstmann quizzed Phil Spencer about all of this during E3. Phil pretty much admitted they've done stuff like this in the past when they were in the lead and spoke about how things are when you are market leader. If the Xbox was in first place then who's to say that they wouldn't be doing the same thing? Of course it's all hypothetical but it's still worth thinking about.

I'm not sure if that has any real influence on that. But my point is that even when a game's playerbase starts to dwindle, they could still sell it as the playerbase will be sustainable for a longer time. So I don't think it actually makes much business sense either.

3 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

I'm not sure if that has any real influence on that. But my point is that even when a game's playerbase starts to dwindle, they could still sell it as the playerbase will be sustainable for a longer time. So I don't think it actually makes much business sense either.

Who knows but that is what an ex-Sony employee is saying the reason is.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-06-19-ex-sony-dev-says-ps4-console-cross-platform-block-is-all-about-the-money

Also, it can push people into buying their console. Say a child's friends are playing Fornite on their PS4's. Said child wouldn't be able to join in on their fun if he only had a Switch or One. In order to play with his friends the kid would have to get a PS4. That's an extra sale right there, providing the child parents would buy another console.

• Like 1

Yeah I don't think that would cause a lot of sales. I don't a lot of people buying an extra playstation just to be able to play with friends, for just one game. I think the context would have made such people decide early on to get a Playstation in that case, instead of a Switch of Xbox. So a sale, but not an extra sale. But people won't buy online multiplayer games if there's no playerbase. Crossplatform would makes those games viable for a longer time, increasing sales on all platforms. It's win-win.

You don't have to convince me, all i'm saying is I can see why they are doing it. I mean, they have a user base of 80+ million and that's without the need of opening the cross platform gates. As market leader it makes sense, especially if it isn't having a negative impact on their sales.

Nintendo named their console after a sexual preference, it's their own fault 😋

• Haha 1

Seems it was an absolutely storming week for Nintendo in the UK. Not only did Mario Tennis Aces enter the chart at number one, but most other big Switch releases climbed the charts as well.

https://www.chart-track.co.uk/index.jsp?c=p/software/uk/latest/index_test.jsp&ct=110015

Surely there's got to be more to this software success than the release of Mario Tennis Aces? A post-E3 bounce or something like that?

28 minutes ago, Tim B said:

Seems it was an absolutely storming week for Nintendo in the UK. Not only did Mario Tennis Aces enter the chart at number one, but most other big Switch releases climbed the charts as well.

https://www.chart-track.co.uk/index.jsp?c=p/software/uk/latest/index_test.jsp&ct=110015

Surely there's got to be more to this software success than the release of Mario Tennis Aces? A post-E3 bounce or something like that?

If anything from E3 helped, it was probably Smash.

But the Switch has just been doing well in general. Plus, it's Mario. Everyone knows Mario. And the UK likes Tennis.

Edited by Glen-i

Is this including downloads? Since some first party titles were on sale as well on the eShop.

3 minutes ago, Vileplume2000 said:

Is this including downloads? Since some first party titles were on sale as well on the eShop.

Physical sales only, as far as I'm aware. Though that *would* explain the success of Zelda last week at least.

Yeah digital sales are never counted for Nintendo's games in any sales chart

The LED on my right Joy-Con has decided to no longer light up for some reason, :hmm: it still connects and functions correctly but it's a bit annoying when using the Joy-Con grip as there's only 1 of those little green lights on the front now. :shakehead Not a massive issue obviously, but I do miss the symmetry of it. :heh:

I'm more concerned about the drifting problem on the left Joy-Con control stick, which is also starting to happen quite frequently on the right one now as well...

Think I might finally invest in a Pro Controller soon, as what with control sticks moving by themselves, LED lights dying and the paint gradually wearing off their surface, I'm starting to get the feeling that my Joy-Con won't actually last the duration of the Switch's lifespan. :blank:

27 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Looks like Take-Two are throwing their full support behind the Switch.

LINK

Wow, I shouldn't be surprised, but I'm surprised.

An early image on that link sums it up perfectly.

6HQNtgj.jpg

• Haha 2

An interesting thread here about how Reggie's "🤷‍♂️ not our problem" response to accessibility is problematic: