NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

Nintendo sales figures are hitting this morning. As of 30th June the Switch has sold just shy of 20 million units. Other notable figures are Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze selling 1.4 million ( already more than the Wii U version), Mario Tennis selling 1.38 million in just two weeks and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 being the most successful Monolith Soft title at 1.4 million units.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/finance/hard_soft/index.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mighty fine. :peace: Christmas is gonna be a great time for Nintendo.

Edited by drahkon

1 minute ago, drahkon said:

Mighty fine. :peace: Christmas is gonna be a great time for Nintendo.

Yeah, I can see the combo of Pokemon Go and Smash Bros doing very well for them. It's just a shame they couldn't get Smash Bros out for Black Friday as that's when a lot of the US do their Christmas shopping. It still baffles me that the game isn't going to be launching with their online service. Such a weird decision.

I know Microsoft don't release figures too often but anyone know what Xbox One sales are? I could easily see Switch surpassing that which would be pretty crazy.

Just now, Hero-of-Time said:

It still baffles me that the game isn't going to be launching with their online service. Such a weird decision.

I don't think they're purposefully releasing it late, I just assume it needs more time to make and won't be ready by September.

1 minute ago, Ronnie said:

I know Microsoft don't release figures too often but anyone know what Xbox One sales are? I could easily see Switch surpassing that which would be pretty crazy.

There's no doubt that the Switch will outsell the One ( Microsoft don't have Japan and Japan loves their handhelds) but the Xbox division as a whole is making serious bank. The consoles numbers game is changing due to the digital future and services and the sales figures posted by Microsoft are showing this. They aren't selling the most consoles but they are doing stupidly well in terms of bringing in the money.

- Gaming revenue increased $643 million or 39% to $2.28 billion, driven by higher revenue from Xbox software and services. Xbox software and services revenue increased 36%, mainly from third-party title strength.
- Gaming revenue was $10.35 billion for the year, up 14% YoY from $9.05 billion in the prior fiscal year.
- Xbox Live Monthly Active users grew 8% YoY to 57 million with continued growth across Xbox One, Windows 10 and Mobile platforms.

• Like 1

They're certainly making really smart business decisions; and hell I'll be buying a One at the end of the year so they have at least one more hardware sale there!

Some software figures from ResetEra:

Odyssey
11.17m (+ 760k)

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
10.35m (+ 1.13m)

Zelda BOTW (Switch)
9.32m (+ 840k)

Splatoon 2
6.76m (+740k)

1-2 Switch
2.45m (+ 160k)

ARMS
2.01m (+ 160k)

Kirby
1.89m (+630k)

Xenoblade 2
1.42m (+110k)

Labo
1.39m combined

Edited by Ronnie
  • Thanks 2

You can see why Nintendo wants a slice of that online service pie. 10+ million Mario Kart players and I imagine a lot of them will be buying into the service.

You can also see why they don't often discount their games until years later, crazy software sales.

The NES classic sold another 1.2million units this quarter too after they re-manufactured it. Crazy that they're going to have 3 titles break 10m units by the end of the year, Mario Kart will probably surpass Odyssey by then too which would mean it would be the top selling game on Switch, 3DS and Wii U. And ARMS has sold 2m copies? I hope that signifies to Nintendo that new IP are always welcomed, especially considering its a fighting game.

Looking forward to seeing Captain Toad join the million sellers list when the next quarters results hit. 

• Like 1

I really can't fault this list of games that NEED to be on Switch... :peace:

:laughing:

21 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

Steep is no longer in development for Switch.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Steep_Game/status/1027527193528856576

With how quiet they've been on the game, I'm not surprised it's been cancelled. Just amazed they haven't put out an official announcement on it.

Given the always online structure of the game and the open world nature of it as well for several mountain range regions, I see why it would be a struggle and even suggested when it was announced that would be the case. It's something I think even Panic Button would struggle with despite what some are replying to that tweet with. Shame really but understandable.

22 minutes ago, Mandalore said:

Chances of Nintendo hiring the developers to do a new 1080 instead?

They could have easily got NST to make another 1080 game. The Gamecube one was brilliant and I imagine if Nintendo wanted to have one made they would have done so already.

Finally got Captain Toad Switch (and Octopath).  Man, playing this again really makes me pine for SM3DW on Switch, it's such a ridiculously good fit for it that it hurts!

Both games are so much better than Odyssey that it's not even funny! SM3DW is begging for the Switch treatment! Come on Nintendo! Sort it out!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Both games are so much better than Odyssey that it's not even funny! SM3DW is begging for the Switch treatment! Come on Nintendo! Sort it out!

Then why is this comment making me laugh? :D 

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Finally got Captain Toad Switch (and Octopath).  Man, playing this again really makes me pine for SM3DW on Switch, it's such a ridiculously good fit for it that it hurts!

Do you think that SM3DW will eventually get get ported? At this point they may as well get all of the Wii U games up and running on the Switch. Sales have shown that the games originally on the Wii U have had great success on the Switch. If the ability to bring them over is there then they may as well port them over to fill in gaps in the release schedule.

4 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Do you think that SM3DW will eventually get get ported? At this point they may as well get all of the Wii U games up and running on the Switch. Sales have shown that the games originally on the Wii U have had great success on the Switch. If the ability to bring them over is there then they may as well port them over to fill in gaps in the release schedule.

I'd be shocked if they don't TBH.  Half the work is already done since they've already ported Captain Toad (which runs on the same engine) and the game is an absolute perfect fit for the Switch's local multiplayer shared joy-con philosophy.  It's also by far, the worst selling Mario game of all time and I'm sure that Nintendo would love to get back some of the money they poured into its production on Wii U (it would absolutely sell gangbusters on Switch, especially if they add new levels into the mix!).  It would also lose nothing in the transition to the console either, since they already have a solution for the Gamepad specific stuff ready-made thanks to the Captain Toad port.

Out of all of the remaining Wii U games, SM3DW is the one I would expect to come first.

Edited by Dcubed

Just now, Dcubed said:

Out of all of the remaining Wii U games, SM3DW is the one I would expect to come first.

Not NSMBU? That one has been rumoured for a while now.

21 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Both games are so much better than Odyssey that it's not even funny!

Give this man a medal. I loved Odyssey but had a much better time with 3D World. Give me obstacle course Mario any day.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Hero-of-Time said:

Not NSMBU? That one has been rumoured for a while now.

The rumour was that it was gonna be hitting this year (and that it might actually be a best-of collection from the whole series in the NSMBU engine), that's what I've been hearing for a long time (alongside a Metroid Prime Trilogy HD remaster aiming for February); but both are MIA, so... who knows?

Also heard about Retro working on a game (alongside NST) called Nintendo Motorsports; which was supposed to be a new WaveRace, 1080 and Excitebike game all in one, but that has yet to materialise, so godonlyknows what's going on there :p 

Just now, Dcubed said:

Also heard about Retro working on a game (alongside NST) called Nintendo Motorsports; which was supposed to be a new WaveRace, 1080 and Excitebike game all in one, but that has yet to materialise, so godonlyknows what's going on there :p 

Interesting. I've never heard that rumour being bounced around before. It would be great if it's true. They should bring back Wuhu island and have it set on that.

2 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Interesting. I've never heard that rumour being bounced around before. It would be great if it's true. They should bring back Wuhu island and have it set on that.

I probably shouldn't really be mentioning it, but whatever.  I don't know what's going on with Retro anymore anyway.  I was expecting them to show something both this year and last year, but they've been MIA outside of the DKCTF port, so I dunno :heh:

For all I know, all the rumours are wrong and Nintendo are busy working on a SM3DW port for Switch.  Here's hoping anyway!

Edited by Dcubed

2 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

I probably shouldn't really be mentioning it, but whatever.  I don't know what's going on with Retro anymore anyway.  I was expecting them to show something both this year and last year, but they've been MIA outside of the DKCTF port, so I dunno :heh:

It's so weird that that Retro haven't put anything original out in years. You have to wonder just what the hell is going on over there.