NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

An interesting thread here about how Reggie's "🤷‍♂️ not our problem" response to accessibility is problematic:

So I just read the interview and all I can say is that tweet is ridiculously sensationalist!

He said they're having discussions about  it internally and then goes on to say that he feels this is an issue that also needs to be dealt with industry wide and that he hopes discussions with Phil Spencer and Microsoft can continue.

How the hell is that saying "It's not our problem"

Ridiculous!

I've read his comments a couple of times and I still can't see where he has "failed the community" by repeating multiple times how important accessibility is. Does anyone really expect Mr PR speak to say "yes we're going to release a controller like that too"?

1 minute ago, Eddage said:

So I just read the interview and all I can say is that tweet is ridiculously sensationalist!

He said they're having discussions about  it internally and then goes on to say that he feels this is an issue that also needs to be dealt with industry wide and that he hopes discussions with Phil Spencer and Microsoft can continue.

How the hell is that saying "It's not our problem"

Ridiculous!

I imagine it has come out badly (Reggie does tend to eat his feet), but it essentially eradicates any responsibility because he fails to acknowledge that there are accessibility problems specific to Nintendo's consoles. He's correct, it is something the whole industry needs to work on but he could have done more to express that Nintendo does take it seriously. 

The tweets in response to the answer given are a bit much, but the tweets in isolation (ie a critique of Nintendo's accessibility problems) are valid. 

I probably should have phrased my original post better but that's what happens when you're lay in bed watching the Simpsons.

1 minute ago, Ashley said:

I imagine it has come out badly (Reggie does tend to eat his feet), but it essentially eradicates any responsibility because he fails to acknowledge that there are accessibility problems specific to Nintendo's consoles. He's correct, it is something the whole industry needs to work on but he could have done more to express that Nintendo does take it seriously. 

The tweets in response to the answer given are a bit much, but the tweets in isolation (ie a critique of Nintendo's accessibility problems) are valid. 

I probably should have phrased my original post better but that's what happens when you're lay in bed watching the Simpsons.

The first part of his response...

One, the conversation around accessibility is significant and it's happening at the highest levels of the company from the development standpoint in terms of how do we make sure that every player who wants to engage with our product can. So it's it's a huge topic.

How is that not addressing the issue?!

6 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I've read his comments a couple of times and I still can't see where he has "failed the community" by repeating multiple times how important accessibility is. Does anyone really expect Mr PR speak to say "yes we're going to release a controller like that too"?

Yes...

Maybe not commit to a specific thing, but if the president of your second largest division (or whatever you'd call Co, NOA and NOE) isn't going to at least give some kind of assurances ("we're looking at our control options", "we're thinking about hardware improvements") then I think it's right to be called out on it. 

Although it comes back to Reggie being a terrible front for the company. I have no doubt E3 is grueling for someone like him, but they need to get a better spokesperson whose sole job is this. It's obviously not his strong point.

3 minutes ago, Eddage said:

The first part of his response...

How is that not addressing the issue?!

In part answered by my response to Ronnie (it's so vague it borders on useless). It gives no indication of timeline, product (software specific, operating system improvements, backdated or only going forward, something they'll look at for their next console) or anything that could be read as a PR brush off.

Reggie has been terrible at the past few E3's. The guy seems to do more damage than good every time he speaks to people.

Just now, Ashley said:

In part answered by my response to Ronnie (it's so vague it borders on useless). It gives no indication of timeline, product (software specific, operating system improvements or something they'll look at for their next console) or anything that could be read as a PR brush off.

Compared to his usual answers, it's far from vague. He actually answered the question and said something is being worked on "at the highest levels of the company". Normally he just uses his stock "I have no answer for you right now".

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Reggie has been terrible at the past few E3's. The guy seems to do more damage than good every time he speaks to people.

Still don't see what he did wrong there. I find that original tweet so typical of the hypersensitive outrage culture that sadly exists these days. I thought Reggie's response was well thought out.

2 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Compared to his usual answers, it's far from vague. He actually answered the question and said something is being worked on "at the highest levels of the company". Normally he just uses his stock "I have no answer for you right now".

Damning with faint praise 😋

I suppose it's different things for different people. He was never going to be able to give an answer that pleases everyone, but clearly it has upset some people. Hopefully they'll learn from this and hopefully we'll see something soon.

1 minute ago, Ronnie said:

Still don't see what he did wrong there. I find that original tweet so typical of the hypersensitive outrage culture that sadly exists these days. I thought Reggie's response was well thought out.

How about we don't call people with disabilities that feel locked out of gaming "hypersensitive"?  Even if that wasn't your intent, it's not a great phrase to use in this context.  These are genuine concerns expressed in a reasonable manner.  They're not calling for Reggie's head.

1 minute ago, Ronnie said:

There's a tweet? I was just giving a general observation about Reggie. :p 

Just randomly thought that it's strange Nintendo don't have some app that's basically a wrapper for their YouTube channel. Wouldn't mind catching up on some stuff from E3 and it would be nice to do that through the console itself. 

58 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Just randomly thought that it's strange Nintendo don't have some app that's basically a wrapper for their YouTube channel. Wouldn't mind catching up on some stuff from E3 and it would be nice to do that through the console itself. 

Aren't most videos in the news channel? You can check the e3 video there at least.

21 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

Aren't most videos in the news channel? You can check the e3 video there at least.

I found some but it's scattered and discovery isn't easy. Is the Treehouse stuff in there?

On 30/06/2018 at 4:09 PM, Ashley said:

I found some but it's scattered and discovery isn't easy. Is the Treehouse stuff in there?

I don't think they were, but the Treehouse videos weren't that interesting anyway. ;)

• Haha 1

Well no they never are, but it was more making a point that there's more stuff that they already have but don't use 😋

Never? The impression I get is they're very enjoyable to most people. This year was poor but there's been some great ones in the past. 

That year we had the likes of Splatoon, Captain Toad, Smash, Mario Maker, Yoshi's Wooly World, Fantasy Life, Hyrule Warriors, Affordable Space Adventures etc was great. 

Anyway im pretty sure there is (or at least was) an E3 channel you could subscribe to on the News app, it was full of videos during the show. 

Are games actually making decent use of HD Rumble yet, other than 1-2 Switch?

I’m still yet to experience it. ::shrug:

20 minutes ago, Kav said:

Apparently Luminescent Remastered has some impressive use of it. Hollow.Knight actually uses it very well in more subtle ways.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Never? The impression I get is they're very enjoyable to most people. This year was poor but there's been some great ones in the past. 

That year we had the likes of Splatoon, Captain Toad, Smash, Mario Maker, Yoshi's Wooly World, Fantasy Life, Hyrule Warriors, Affordable Space Adventures etc was great. 

Anyway im pretty sure there is (or at least was) an E3 channel you could subscribe to on the News app, it was full of videos during the show. 

You need to learn about internet semantics 😋

You need to learn about internet semantics
Need? I feel like that is too strong a word here.

49 minutes ago, Kav said:

Golf Story uses HD Rumble to actually make sounds. And not just a vibrator sound. (No, stop it) Hitting your golf ball off of the map causes the rumble to make a kind of falling object sound. It's really cool.

Labo also makes use of it in it's remote control car setup.

EDIT: I vaguely remember the Octopath Traveller demo using rumble to emulate the sound effect of a door opening whenever you enter a building as well.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Kav said:

Mario Odyssey uses it in certain points for gameplay purposes (hidden objects underground, the scooter etc), Golf Story makes great use of it, Kirby Star Allies makes use of it really well in one specific portion of the game, Labo heavily relies on it to work at all, and Mario Tennis Aces makes great use of it too (individual footsteps can be felt, along with different effects for each kind of shot; certain puzzles in Adventure Mode make use of it too!)

Plenty of other games use it in neat but subtle ways to enhance the experience (like feeling the doors open and close in Octopath Traveller, or hitting the left and right walls in Thumper, or feeling the tornados spinning around your car in FAST RMX.  MK8dx also has some subtle use to feel different kinds of surfaces that you drive across as well), but the ones I mentioned previously are the biggest standouts.

Edited by Dcubed

Mario Odyssey’s use of HD Rumble is awful then as the difference between it and normal rumble is pretty much negligible... I didn’t even realise there was a difference!

I must admit, the other games just don’t interest me.

Does anything make decent use of it, to the point one thinks “the HD is a worthwhile change to the feature”?

29 minutes ago, Kav said:

Mario Odyssey’s use of HD Rumble is awful then as the difference between it and normal rumble is pretty much negligible... I didn’t even realise there was a difference!

I must admit, the other games just don’t interest me.

Does anything make decent use of it, to the point one thinks “the HD is a worthwhile change to the feature”?

I mean, it's just rumble at the end of the day so never going to be life changing, and was never advertised as such. Plenty of people have said there's games that make brilliant use of it. Given the choice of regular rumble or HD rumble, I don't see why anyone would go for the regular one. It's a more nuanced version of something we've had for twenty years, sounds good to me.

Edited by Ronnie