NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

So, apparently Nintendo have removed Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze from the Wii U eShop, their own eShop website and the digital version Amazon. This doesn't seem to have happened over here but it happened overnight in the US. While I would like to give them the benefit of the doubt, it seems a little coincidental that this has happened on the eve of the Switch release. Many are speculating they've done this to hide the fact that there is actually a cheaper version out there. It will be interesting to see if Nintendo comments about this or if the game does end up popping back up.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

12 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

So, apparently Nintendo have removed Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze from the Wii U eShop, their own eShop website and the digital version Amazon. This doesn't seem to have happened over here but it happened overnight in the US. While I would like to give them the benefit of the doubt, it seems a little coincidental that this has happened on the eve of the Switch release. Many are speculating they've done this to hide the fact that there is actually a cheaper version out there. It will be interesting to see if Nintendo comments about this or if the game does end up popping back up.

I guess it could be to stop confusion about which version needs to be purchased, to avoid people less in the know going for the U version (on their website and Amazon at least) 

...but that might a bit too sympathetic, it could quite easily be to stop people realising that cheaper version is out there and make sure they get that Switch version.

13 minutes ago, Kaepora_Gaebora said:

I guess it could be to stop confusion about which version needs to be purchased, to avoid people less in the know going for the U version (on their website and Amazon at least) 

...but that might a bit too sympathetic, it could quite easily be to stop people realising that cheaper version is out there and make sure they get that Switch version.

It's a strange move, to be sure. Considering there is already an uproar over the pricing of the game, I don't think this is going to help matters.

36 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

It's a strange move, to be sure. Considering there is already an uproar over the pricing of the game, I don't think this is going to help matters.

An uproar? From the video game community? Surely not.

13 minutes ago, Kaepora_Gaebora said:

@Hero-of-Time just seen on Kotaku it was removed around February time when the Switch version was announced, just hasn't been spotted until now!

Weird.

Another interesting point is that Nintendo haven't touched their other Wii U to Switch ports. DKCTF was heavily discounted and that's the only one that has now disappeared.

I can understand them removing the physical version from their online store and dissuading retailers from listing the Wii U version in their stores to try and prevent people buying the wrong version but delisting it on a separate eShop is really strange, especially given how few Wii U's are out there compared to Switch. Will be interesting to see if the same thing happens with Captain Toad considering that was a Nintendo Selects title on Wii U.

• Like 1

Or not...

:D 

As a side note, I'm getting sick of having to reload a page 3 times just so the reply button will work. It's an absolute pain in the butt.

• Like 1

Rumour has it that Nintendo are going out of business due to Labo not meeting launch projections and they are taking down games from the store one at a time to avoid panic.

• Haha 5

Worth noting that there's actually TV advertising for this game over here. Which is infinite more TV advertising than the WiiU version got.

I dunno, I think they are trying to hide the WiiU one. Not that it needs it, being on WiiU is already the ultimate camouflage.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Pretty cool, I just tested it out on a racing game and it worked perfectly. Gyro controls are supported in case anyone was wondering.

Also, for some reason it illuminates the LED light around the HOME button as well.

Edited by Helmsly
  • Thanks 1

You mean I can finally stop pressing the wrong button every time I go to press X or Y!?

• Thanks 2

Nice! I have both my Switch and a Steam Link hooked up on my TV. But that means that I can use the Pro Controller for both and don't need to drag around my Xbox 360 controller including dongle from the Link to the PC and back. And great for 2 player multiplayer since I only have 1 PC controller.

• Like 1

Looks nice enough but it can’t support a vertical orientation, so the Hori stand is still better.

• Thanks 1

Yeah I don't see the point. It's just something extra to bring with you (two extra things if you want to actually make use of the charger function), for a neglible advantage.

I use my Switch in tabletop mode on the train every two or three times a week so this will be perfect for that.

Had a go on the demo for PixelJunk Monsters 2. Had already tried it on PS4, but was amazed by how close the Switch version is to that in terms of presentation! :o The resolution seems a bit lower and the frame rate has taken a massive hit, but otherwise it looks the same. Impressive stuff.

Dcx0erxVwAATGeF?format=jpg&name=largeDcx0jToVwAAkTVG?format=jpg&name=large

Beautiful looking game too. Seems like some of the visual techniques from The Tomorrow Children might have been employed here, not to mention the turret design and the way they emerge from the ground. Man, I miss that game. :sad:

• Thanks 3

15 new SKUs have shown up on GameStop’s website ahead of E3 next month under Switch software.

The last time this happened, the slots were filled out shortly thereafter by a Direct only a few days later. So, either E3 listings are up earlier than usual (which wouldn’t be too surprising; we saw Wal-Mart do the same yesterday), or there’s a (very) slim chance we get a Direct soon. 

Elsewhere, Bandai Namco’s latest financial results have teased that multiple original titles are in development for release from this summer onwards. Ridge Racer 8? A new Tales game? A Dragon Ball FighterZ port? 

The smell of E3 is definitely in the air :D 

Edited by Julius Caesar
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I wish I bought MK8D & Splatoon 2 as physical copies... I can’t trade them in when the online service starts costing now, gutted!

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, RedShell said:

Had a go on the demo for PixelJunk Monsters 2. Had already tried it on PS4, but was amazed by how close the Switch version is to that in terms of presentation! :o The resolution seems a bit lower and the frame rate has taken a massive hit, but otherwise it looks the same. Impressive stuff.

Dcx0erxVwAATGeF?format=jpg&name=largeDcx0jToVwAAkTVG?format=jpg&name=large

Beautiful looking game too. Seems like some of the visual techniques from The Tomorrow Children might have been employed here, not to mention the turret design and the way they emerge from the ground. Man, I miss that game. :sad:

Same! Was enourmously impressed with the presentation! In both handheld and docked.  Is it 60FPS on PS4 by any chance? Wouldn’t surprise me if they had to cut the frame rate in half to make it work (not that it makes a big difference in a tower defence game anyway).

It seems like a nice game, even if tower defence games aren’t really my thing (The Dillon’s Rolling Western games being the big exception for me).  Glad to see Q Games putting their best foot forward here as I really like most of their stuff!

4 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Is it 60FPS on PS4 by any chance?

It feels like it is, yeah. The extra smoothness is certainly very nice, but as you say, for this type of gameplay it doesn’t really make a big difference. 

Hopefully the price will be the same across all versions at least, as this business of Switch owners having to pay more than every other platform definitely needs to stop.