NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

Eurogamer seems to be in agreement with supposed leaks that happened over the weekend, which claim revealed that Retro are working on a Star Fox racing game.

I doubt that this is the case. Mario Kart has been veering into Smash Bros. Kart territory for a while, so I’m not sure why they wouldn’t just bring Fox over to Mario Kart 9 or something, as opposed to making this its own game.

I’m still holding out hope that they’re working on a new IP. Or something. In fact, I’d take pretty much anything besides a racing game from them (unless said racing game is F-Zero related). 

Here’s to hoping that we find out next month at E3...

3 minutes ago, Julius Caesar said:

Eurogamer seems to be in agreement with supposed leaks that happened over the weekend, which claim revealed that Retro are working on a Star Fox racing game.

I doubt that this is the case. Mario Kart has been veering into Smash Bros. Kart territory for a while, so I’m not sure why they wouldn’t just bring Fox over to Mario Kart 9 or something, as opposed to making this its own game.

I’m still holding out hope that they’re working on a new IP. Or something. In fact, I’d take pretty much anything besides a racing game from them (unless said racing game is F-Zero related).

Sounds like it could be a way of bringing us F-Zero without it officially being such.  Nintendo is probably more confident about the Star Fox brand than the former, as Fox McCloud is a better mascot than those in F-Zero.  Could be great!

A racing adventure game is something I could totally imagine Retro doing and actually has me pretty excited but the fact it's Star Fox makes me nervous considering the poor quality of the franchise in general outside of Lylat Wars and the original (not played Assault or Command yet though). Still I'll withhold judgement until we see something concrete and will probably play it regardless considering Retro's track record but I would much rather it was F-Zero.

I'm not interested in a Star Fox racing game, and even less in a racing game in the vein of Diddy Kong racing.

• Like 1

I think @Grazza is probably right, Retro probably wanted to do F-Zero but Nintendo have more faith in Star Fox commercially. It sucks because the characters that already exist in F-Zero are infinitely more interesting. Maybe it's a crossover with Captain Falcon and the like racing against the Star Fox crew? James McCloud was in F-Zero X.

2 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Though many of these things were reported in the Eurogamer article, it sounds much more exciting in this context, and I don’t know why. Probably something to do with Eurogamer being wrong in the past or something. 

I think Star Fox Grand Prix could be a bit of a damaging title, if I’m honest, though - because that title does make it sound like your typical racing game. 

Right now I’m imagining pod-racing from Star Wars with a decently sized hub world, vehicle customisation, etc., and it doesn’t sound that bad. I guess I’m slowly warming up to the idea. ::shrug:

• Like 1

Incredibly ambitious, storyline, hub world, Retro?

Sign me up.

I suspect this'll be a similar case as Mario + Rabbids. When the leaks happened people were ranting about how terrible and pointless it sounded. Then it ended up being one of the best games of the year. I think this leak will do a similar amount of good for Star Fox Grand Prix in the long run.

4 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Incredibly ambitious, storyline, hub world, Retro?

Sign me up.

I suspect this'll be a similar case as Mario + Rabbids. When the leaks happened people were ranting about how terrible and pointless it sounded. Then it ended up being one of the best games of the year. I think this leak will do a similar amount of good for Star Fox Grand Prix in the long run.

I hope so, but like I said above...I’m not a fan of the title, if any of this turns out to be true and the title remains the same. I can already imagine children asking their parents asking for Star Fox Grand Prix, and their parents responding that they already have Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, so why would they get another racing game? 

Just seems to be a bit of a potential branding/marketing nightmare. Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle, at least, was very direct with its title; from it, you can easily figure out that it’s a crossover between Mario and the Rabbids, and it’s some sort of strategy or action game. 

I read Star Fox Grand Prix and my mind immediately went to Mario Kart ::shrug:

Sounds intriguing. Another game for Nintendo's online service, perhaps? 

Shame that this has been leaked. If true, I'd much rather have found out about this during the Nintendo E3 event. :( 

At least StarFox and F-Zero being in the same universe is canon. 

latest?cb=20071107003129

:D 

• Like 3

Just call it "Star Fox" or even "Star Fox World" if it isn't a typical racing game; either way like Hero I'm dissapointed to find this out now if it is true as it sounds really, really interesting!

A new non Mario Kart racing game from Nintendo? Awesome.

But as a huge F-Zero fan, I can't help but feel disappointed at the same time. Sci-fi racing is very niche, I can't see Nintendo making another F-Zero if this new Star Fox game really exists. And is Fox McCloud really that much better and more popular a mascot than Captain Falcon? 

I have a feeling this might have some truth to it and that it may be more amazing than we could ever dream possible..

..and for that reason, I'M IN :yay:

• Thanks 1

I don't doubt that Retro could make a fantastic racing game and I fully expect them to do so, I just don't see how Star Fox has the depth for them to build an engrossing world and story around. My concerns for the game are that the story and characters just wouldn't be that interesting.

When I look at the drivers pictures in F-Zero X I want to learn more about most of them but with Star Fox the established characters don't have much weight to them. Slippy is an enthusiastic weakling, Peppy is an old hand and Falco is overconfident and competitive. Fox is basically a blank husk, the only thing that defines him is his father's death and then Kat and Krystal are kind of nothing characters. Wolf and his gang will obviously add some depth to the roster but looking at who is already there Falco is probably the most interesting character but he would have to have a real conflict with Fox to make the story interesting. 

Hopefully Retro are fans of A Fox In Space and have taken some inspiration from that, Matt Gafford did a great job of fleshing out the characters of Star Fox and making them more interesting.

20 minutes ago, killthenet said:

I don't doubt that Retro could make a fantastic racing game and I fully expect them to do so, I just don't see how Star Fox has the depth for them to build an engrossing world and story around. My concerns for the game are that the story and characters just wouldn't be that interesting.

When I look at the drivers pictures in F-Zero X I want to learn more about most of them but with Star Fox the established characters don't have much weight to them. Slippy is an enthusiastic weakling, Peppy is an old hand and Falco is overconfident and competitive. Fox is basically a blank husk, the only thing that defines him is his father's death and then Kat and Krystal are kind of nothing characters. Wolf and his gang will obviously add some depth to the roster but looking at who is already there Falco is probably the most interesting character but he would have to have a real conflict with Fox to make the story interesting. 

Hopefully Retro are fans of A Fox In Space and have taken some inspiration from that, Matt Gafford did a great job of fleshing out the characters of Star Fox and making them more interesting.

From reports it sounds like Retro were given a license to completely reimagine the Starfox world. It's one of the reasons it took 4 years to develop, allegedly.

• Thanks 1

Or it could've been a brand new original IP, which happened to have a fox as a main character. Then Miyamoto told them to shoehorn Star Fox in at the 11th hour.

• Haha 2

Best elements of the Star Fox universe + F-Zero style speed + DKR inspiration = 1 sale.

Shoehorning Star Fox in, for better or worse, will probably generate a few more sales.

Plus, it's Retro, so I'm intrigued to see this.

Although this potential 'Starfox Grand Prix' game probably isn't going to be anything like it, my dream Starfox game was always a game like Lylat Wars but you could choose between Fox, Peppy, Falco and Slippy for each level and each provide different objectives and scenarios in each stage. For instance, if you play a level as Fox you would be taking down enemies as usual, with the team, and Falco would open up a new path for you as an optional route whereas if you play as Falco it will be up to you to be the one to unlock the route by whatever means required.

If playing in single player, the CPU would take care of the functions of the other pilots but you'd be able to team up to play with 2-4 players, each choosing one of the Starfox team to control and therefore working together to make it through every stage each with your own specific tasks to complete.

Sounds fun to me, anyway.. :grin:

Edited by nekunando
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The more I've thought about it, I can't see how there wouldn't be some sort of actual F Zero cross over, if it is indeed a futuristic racer. Even if it's just a few racers and tracks, if Mario Kart can do it then 100% they would put some of that in this game.

If there is a hub world, what's to stop them adding a 'true' Star Fox game into this one as (paid) DLC? That'd be great, you have the GP area, and then a complete single player traditional area, an online area...

One can dream at least :)

Just seen that an official release date has been given for Okami HD, August 9th. Digital only in both the US and Europe but apparently Japan are getting a physical release with soundtrack and such. No word on whether that'll happen over here. Would be nice as I'd put up for it. If it had been announced earlier, I wouldn't have picked it up on the PS4 so that I could use the touch controls on the Switch. Maybe if the price isn't massively inflated over the other versions I might consider another dip for the game.

So I bought a switch two weeks ago. I want to get some family games like 1 2 switch (and Zelda for myself). Why are the games so expensive? Even pre-owned older games are holding value. It’s like the N64 all over again.

7 minutes ago, Ramar said:

So I bought a switch two weeks ago. I want to get some family games like 1 2 switch (and Zelda for myself). Why are the games so expensive? Even pre-owned older games are holding value. It’s like the N64 all over again.

Big Nintendo titles almost never go down in value. Definitely not quickly. This isn't anything new. Add to that the fact that Switch has been quite successful and it's even less likely to drop prices.

You're just gonna have to suck it up, unfortunately.

There are some exceptions (at least over here in The Netherlands).

Fire Emblem Warriors, Mario x Rabbids Kingdom Battle, Xenoblade 2, Skyrim, Doom, FIFA and LA Noire can often be found a lot cheaper than their suggested RRP.

As far as family games go, I’d suggest going digital/indie. There’re not too many physical party games on Switch yet. 

Edited by markderoos

I know its not contributing to the conversation but seeing:
General Switch Discussion
By @markderoos 

Resulted in my brain merging the two words and ending up with General Switcheroos Discussion and I think I've found the plural form of Switch.

• Haha 3