N-Europe

General Switch Discussion

Ashley

I think it’s most likely a matter of them seeing NWC coming out and thinking “Oh shit! We never did fix our cackhanded solution for charging those stupid NES Joycons… quick! Hack something together ASAP!”

This thing is blatantly just a Switch charging grip with a bit of plastic glued onto the back to make it stand up.  Look how ugly that thing is with the wire sticking out the top of it, utterly laughable.

I did see someone suggest it may have something to do with EU legislation dictating about charging methods as before this the only way you could charge them was to have a console which isn't exactly "open". 

Who knows. 

On 7/18/2024 at 12:09 PM, Ike said:

Late to the party...

Unless it's for future use with the Switch 2... 🤔

If Switch 1 is the Switch, Switch 2 is the Lite and Switch 3 is the OLED, then I agree that Switch 2 people are the most in need of this.

• 2 weeks later...

I was playing on my Switch yesterday evening and my left Joycon has started to drift pretty badly. That's the second lot this has happened to. Looks like I'm gonna have to buy yet another set, which is pretty annoying given that the Switch is at the end of its life and also that the Joycons haven't really come down in price. I mean, the tech in them must be dirt cheap at this point but they still £60. I have a Pro Controller that I use for when playing on the TV but playing it in handheld mode just isn't an option now thanks to the drift.

• Sad 2

29 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I was playing on my Switch yesterday evening and my left Joycon has started to drift pretty badly. That's the second lot this has happened to. Looks like I'm gonna have to buy yet another set, which is pretty annoying given that the Switch is at the end of its life and also that the Joycons haven't really come down in price. I mean, the tech in them must be dirt cheap at this point but they still £60. I have a Pro Controller that I use for when playing on the TV but playing it in handheld mode just isn't an option now thanks to the drift.

NOE now offer free repairs on all Joy-Cons, regardless of their warrenty period.  Send the Joy-Cons back to them rather than spend another £60 on another pair.

7 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

NOE now offer free repairs on all Joy-Cons, regardless of their warrenty period.  Send the Joy-Cons back to them rather than spend another £60 on another pair.

I would but I've read stories of people getting other people's Joycons back and not their originals (things like casing was scratched). I take good care of my stuff and don't want to end up with someone else's Joycons.

9 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I would but I've read stories of people getting other people's Joycons back and not their originals (things like casing was scratched). I take good care of my stuff and don't want to end up with someone else's Joycons.

I get that, but the Joycons are buggered anyway.  It's either a matter of sending them back to be repaired, fixing them yourself (A PITA, but it can be done.  I've fixed a bunch of mine and it's not a fun experience), or just having them sit there being useless.

I know what option I'd pick.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I would but I've read stories of people getting other people's Joycons back and not their originals (things like casing was scratched).

I can only talk about my friend's experience but he had to send in 5 (!) Joycons and 4 out of the ones he got back were scratched. He didn't necessarily mind, but it's still annoying. Two out of those he had to send in again after about 2 weeks because they started drifting. :nono:

I'm pretty happy I don't have a Switch anymore...would drive me nuts. It's bad enough that I have to send in my DualSense every year. But then again: I always get a new one sent back which works perfectly, so I can deal with it for now.

Edited by drahkon

17 minutes ago, drahkon said:

I'm pretty happy I don't have a Switch anymore...would drive me nuts. 

It's not too bad. I've had the console since a couple of weeks after launch and it's only happened to me twice. I went through the same amount of PS4 controllers as well but then they had far more use than what my Joycons have had. My biggest issue is just how expensive they are to replace. It's another classic Nintendo thing of never dropping the prices. A couple of years ago I got an extra DualSense and Horizon Forbidden West for £40 during a Days of Play sale. You would never get that kind of deal from Nintendo.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I went through the same amount of PS4 controllers

Interesting.
I never had any issues with my PS4 controllers :D

2 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

It's another classic Nintendo thing of never dropping the prices.

Yeah. One of the reasons why I'll probably never buy a Nintendo console again. ::shrug:

2 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Interesting.
I never had any issues with my PS4 controllers :D

I do think it was just more of a wear and tear issue with mine. They took some hammering over the years. Many a FromSoftware game were played on them. :D 

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I'll probably pay the £60. :D

10 hours ago, drahkon said:

All hail Mr. Rich :bowdown:

:p

In fairness he can time travel which makes getting money easier. 

• Haha 3

Nintendo have released updated sales numbers for the Switch and its software.

Hardware: 143.42 million units
Software: 1,266.46 million units

Top 10:

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 62.90M

Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 45.85M

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - 34.66M

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 32.05M

Super Mario Odyssey - 28.21M

Pokemon Sword/Shield - 26.35M

Pokemon Scarlet/Violet - 25.29M

Super Mario Party - 20.84M

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - 20.80M

New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe - 17.61M

Recent Releases:

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door - 1.76M

Luigi's Mansion 2 HD - 1.19M

Edited by Hero-of-Time

So Mario Kart 8 Deluxe shifted nearly another million copies, it's just never going to stop selling is it?

Decent results for Luigi's Mansion and Paper Mario too, and apparently Princess Peach Showtime is still selling at a steady pace. 

About 10 million away from DS' total lifetime sales now - could Switch nip in front this Christmas? Any sort of price cut and they would surely do it easily 

9 minutes ago, killthenet said:

About 10 million away from DS' total lifetime sales now - could Switch nip in front this Christmas? Any sort of price cut and they would surely do it easily 

Nintendo will be wanting that PS2 record. Announce the Switch 2, price cut the original Switch and that will be job done.

I actually think some of the recent moves Nintendo have made would suggest that there won't be a straight and simple price cut to the Switch models (even if I think it's the logical next step) this holiday period, but rather, they're going to have the consoles bundled with NSO+Expansion Pack, games, etc. – and heck, they seem to keep announcing more games being bundled with their expansions, too.

The potential evidence for this is the upcoming limited edition Switch Lite for Echoes of Wisdom coming bundled with NSO+EP, and elsewhere Splatoon 3 is being sold physically with its expansion Expansion Pass bundled in, both announced between the period from the middle of June to the start of July. 

I think it's definitely the smart move, and it entices new Switch owners into subscribing, which they and many others will see as potentially being more important for growth - especially going into a new console release next year - than console sales alone. If they're willing to go really aggressive but not outright drop the Switch price, I'm thinking something along the lines of a console bundle with a game like Animal Crossing or Mario Kart 8 Deluxe + NSO+EP (to include their respective expansions) all for the same price as the console itself would sell gangbusters.

Those two particular games also seem primed to have physical releases which bundle in their respective expansions also. 

Once the Switch 2 is on the way/arrives though, totally agree @Hero-of-Time – drop that thing as hard as you reasonably can and chase that PS2 record, be it through bundles or a straight price drop. Get that Switch Lite down further to be more comparable to 3DS pricing, the base Switch down to something like £220/£230 and OLED to £250, which then gives you the space to price the Switch 2 at £350+. 

Edited by Julius

I don’t think Nintendo will ever drop the price of the console officially.  Were so close to the end now that I think they will just ride it out until Switch 2 comes out; so that they can set the expectation that Switch 2 will also never receive a price drop (thus discouraging people from waiting until the price comes down).

Thus Switch 1 will become the first console in all of human history to never receive any form of price drop throughout its lifecycle.  That’s probably an even bigger accomplishment than beating the PS2’s hardware sales record.

Monolith Soft are needing to upscale.

Hello everyone. This is Takahashi from Monolith Soft.
This time, we are recruiting development staff for Monolith Soft's 1st Production for the first time in a long time. I can't go into the details here, but the genre is a "new RPG."

The new RPG is taking on many new challenges compared to previous Monolith Soft titles. Naturally, the content to be created is becoming more sophisticated, so we need many talented people, which is why we are now looking for people. For convenience, we have narrowed down the job types to eight, but we are basically looking for people in all areas. The required skill level is also all-round, from asset creation to lead.

As I mentioned in the previous recruitment, Monolith Soft has been producing games with a small number of people compared to the scale of the titles we make. This was something we were proud of, but the current situation in the gaming scene means that we can no longer say so . For example, the days of using human wave tactics to produce a large amount of material have long since come to an end, and it has become commonplace to provide an efficient production environment.

This doesn't really surprise me. I imagine they have been spread pretty thin over the years, what with lending a hand on a lot of other Nintendo titles. Plus, games are needing more time and manpower to make. It is heartening though to see them recruiting, while a lot of the other companies are shedding staff. Makes a nice change.

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking at that tweet, wondering "Would they really have to clarify that this isn't game related?" And I scrolled down, and there it is, because of course it has to be. Because people are dumb.