Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

General Switch Discussion

Ashley

25 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Nintendo just issued the weekly Nintendo Download report per usual. However, something is tucked away inside that would seem very important.

Nintendo lists Hulu as one of today’s new releases on Switch. The official page is currently offline, but it should be up by the time the eShop updates later today. 

In the past, Nintendo has mentioned that video streaming services would eventually come to Switch. It looks like that’s happening sooner than expected

Although that last time I checked, Hulu is unavailable for the EU, this is still good news as it's hopefully a sign that some of the other popular streaming services will come to the Switch soon as well (like Netflix and Amazon). I wouldn't mind the WWE Network heading to the switch as well.

Edited by Helmsly

2 minutes ago, Helmsly said:

That's good news, although last I checked Hulu is unavailable for the EU, hopefully this is a sign that some of the other popular streaming services will come to the Switch soon as well (like Netflix and Amazon). I wouldn't mind the WWE Network heading to the switch as well.

Yeah, it's worthless for us but it does show that western streaming services are on their way.

This kinda shoots down the rumours we got the other week.

-A sequel to a 3DS game is coming to Switch. Remember what was said about new character inclusion for Smash.
-Netflix (but not Hulu) is coming Q1. Announcement will be tied with a Netflix-produced show.
-Themes will arrive with a Dec. 25 update. Free if you own the game or amiibo.
-Metroid Prime 4 will have a subtitle that people know, Q4 at the earliest. First footage in January Direct.
-Little Mac was almost in ARMS. There's a reason he's not.
-A new spinoff is coming exclusively to the eShop using assets from a game already released

Although technically they are still right as Hulu isn't coming in Q1. :p 

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Haha 1

I think it's just a case of how fast these services can build apps for the Switch? Hulu's must be ready for release and Netflix are still working on theirs.

2 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Yeah, it's worthless for us but it does show that western streaming services are on their way.

This kinda shoots down the rumours we got the other week.

Although technically they are still right as Hulu isn't coming in Q1. :p 

A bit gutted if that means themes aren't around the corner :(

Edited by Ronnie

4 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I think it's just a case of how fast these services can build apps for the Switch? Hulu's must be ready for release and Netflix are still working on theirs.

Yeah I'd imagine so. NicoNico Video has been available on the Japan Eshop for the Switch since mid-July. That said there was a rumour the other month that the Netflix app is ready to go and the only hold up was Nintendo:

Apparently, a Netflix sales representative has revealed that the company's Switch app is "locked and loaded" and all that is preventing a release is the go-ahead from Nintendo itself.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/09/rumour_netflix_app_ready_for_switch_all_it_needs_is_nintendos_go-ahead

Edited by Helmsly
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Kav said:

How they sell the machine as a home console you can take on the go is beyond me - it’s blatantly a handheld you can plug into your TV!

I was thinking about this today (before I saw your post) and thought what an unusual machine Switch is.  Spiritually, it's a home console (even just by the style of Mario and Zelda).  Technically it's a hybrid.  And a lot of people (most?) prefer it as a handheld!

Actually, that might be the reason I've enjoyed 3DS more (although I think they're both fantastic) - it's that I prefer the sort of thing developers design when they know they're designing for a handheld.  There's just a psychological difference.

But still, the fact Switch can function as a pure handheld (if you want) has made me enjoy it so much more than the Wii and Wii U.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ronnie said:

According to Nintendo a couple of weeks ago:

2017-10-31.jpg

I reckon my play time is probably fairly evenly split between docked and undocked and find that the Switch just fits so perfectly around my life that I hope Nintendo continue with this concept going forward :love:

I purchased a Switch messenger bag a couple of weeks ago. I thought it was maybe a little steep (even though it was on offer for £19.99) but it's great :hehe: I now take the console out with me so much more often and there's loads of room for physical games and accessories!

8 hours ago, Kav said:

I get that, but irrespective of how you’d use it, it is a portable console... the hardware is the part you take with you.

That the dock houses a board that upscales makes it a hybrid, but in essence it’s a portable no matter how they paint it.

No its a home console because then we get to wind @Serebii up about there being a mainline game on a home console which he said will never happen (and okay hasn't happened yet, but give it time) :heh: 

7 hours ago, Helmsly said:

Although that last time I checked, Hulu is unavailable for the EU, this is still good news as it's hopefully a sign that some of the other popular streaming services will come to the Switch soon as well (like Netflix and Amazon). I wouldn't mind the WWE Network heading to the switch as well.

Yeah Hulu as a service isn't available here.

7 hours ago, dazzybee said:

I really want a separate section for these video apps... I wish they had folders full stop too; I don't want a hundred apps in a big pile.... I need to order things....

Are there even tens of apps at the moment...?  Unless you're including games.  

Even so, as was said with the PS4 - the most recently/frequent played ones are at the front so it feels fine to me but I know how ride or die you are for folders so I hope you get it so we can stop hearing you complain you are happy ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Switch in docked mode is a fundamentally different experience from having a handheld with TV out.  Unlike on handhelds that plug into the TV, you aren't teathered to the video cable; the Joy-Cons pop off and function as an entierly seperate controller.  The Switch also becomes more powerful when docked, unlike other handhelds.  And its interface is designed for both handheld and TV usage, unlike the handhelds with TV out.

When it's plugged in, there's nothing to distinguish it as being unlike the console experience.  You get splitscreen multiplayer and everything that you would expect from the console experience. It isn't compromised at all (here's your chance for a snarky comment about the whole voice-chat debacle ;) )

So yeah, it being a "portable console" instead of a "dedicated handheld" is perfectly apt.

BTW: I'm betting that the chart that Nintendo put out is heavily skewed by Japanese players... Would've been nice to see a regional breakdown.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, Ashley said:

With my other consoles though when I plug them in I'm not worried about damaging them :p any recommended screen protectors you folks have used?

I went for a tempered glass one, and it hasn't scratched at all.  The dock did scratch the hell out of a temporary plastic film I had though.

This one; Amazon

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I put a couple of strips of microfiber cloth on the sides of my dock, works really well and so haven't felt the need to use a screen protector.

Did I hear something around launch about that melting when the console gets hot while docked, or am I thinking of some cheap screen protectors?  I've not really kept on top of these things as its only recently I've started undocking more.

Did I hear something around launch about that melting when the console gets hot while docked, or am I thinking of some cheap screen protectors?  I've not really kept on top of these things as its only recently I've started undocking more.

Don’t know about the microfibre strips, but definitely cheap screen protectors caused many a melting situation early on.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Not sure, haven't read that. I'd be amazed if my bits of microfiber fabric ever even got close to melting though!

6 minutes ago, Ashley said:

From personal experience...

"The Hori one seems to be good enough that it doesn't melt..."

They should put that as an official endorsement on the box. :heh:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, londragon said:

Don’t know about the microfibre strips, but definitely cheap screen protectors caused many a melting situation early on.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Not sure, haven't read that. I'd be amazed if my bits of microfiber fabric ever even got close to melting though!

Yup, seems I'm getting muddled.  Cheers folks!

TOKYO—Nintendo Co. plans to pick up the production pace for its hit Switch game console next year, people with direct knowledge of the matter said, showing the company’s deepening confidence in the success of the device.

The Kyoto-based company is sketching out a plan to make 25 million to 30 million units of the Switch in its next fiscal year, which begins April 2018, and has begun informing business partners about it, the people said. They said the plan is still in its early stages and Nintendo could aim higher depending...

Wow

30 million next FY seems a bit of a reach, but anything close to that would be mighty impressive

https://www.wsj.com/articles/nintendos-game-plan-to-level-up-switch-production-1510291065