N-Europe

Backloggery

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I made an account on Backloggery last year but only started filling it out this week.

To continue the debate from the previous page, what do you consider is the difference between beaten, completed and mastered? I put Mario Galaxy 2 and Sega Superstars Tennis as mastered as I've 242 stars and have unlocked everything possible in SST- what, I enjoyed it. :blush:

Stuff like Animal Crossing and Nintendogs fall under what...? And Wii Fit...?

I made an account on Backloggery last year but only started filling it out this week.

To continue the debate from the previous page, what do you consider is the difference between beaten, completed and mastered? I put Mario Galaxy 2 and Sega Superstars Tennis as mastered as I've 242 stars and have unlocked everything possible in SST- what, I enjoyed it. :blush:

Stuff like Animal Crossing and Nintendogs fall under what...? And Wii Fit...?

"Beaten" is when you beat the final boss/completed the story/the credits roll. "Completed" is when you accomplished/unlocked everything to do in the game.

"Mastered" is when you went beyond that. When you did speedruns, self-imposed handicaps and overall challenges that weren't put there by the developers.

Personally, I don't use that one. I don't see self-imposed challenges as a means to complete a game, but as a fun way to replay it when I feel like it (which means I don't want to keep track of it).

As for Animal Crossing, Wii Fit, etc. You do what you want.

I consider Wii Fit to be completed after I unlocked all the minigames and workouts.

At the same time, I consider Rise of Nations to be "Null", as I have no intentions to go through single-player, only to have fun on multiplayer.

I had a nosey around the site and found the following in their FAQ section:

null.gif Null - Not counted in your backlog statistics but will appear in your totals. Useful for titles which aren't tradional games with a conclusion or main objective.

unfinished.gif Unfinished - No significant accomplishments.

beaten.gif Beaten - The main portion or objective of the game has been completed. Usually marked by the defeat of a final boss and/or viewing of the credits.

completed.gif Completed - Must meet the following requirements (where applicable):

Overall game completion percentage is maxed out

All extras are acquired

Every game mode is finished

Beaten on the hardest difficulty level

Optional levels/dungeons and bosses are beaten

Best ending viewed

All major item-based upgrades are collected

Minor items and lists not included in the above are irrelevant

The highest rankings (i.e. S-Ranking a level) aren't needed unless necessary for one of the above requirements.

mastered.gif Mastered - A personal challenge designed to be extremely tough, usually beyond the scope of built-in gameplay difficulty.

Matches up pretty well with what you said, Jonnas. With that in mind, I went back through and demoted some games from completed to beaten and put the likes of Animal Crossing, Nintendogs, Brain Training, Flipnote Studio as null. I think that works pretty well. This has reminded me that I still have a couple of things to unlock in Mario Kart Wii!

Also added VC, WiiWare and DSiWare to my log.

I use "Mastered" for games that I feel I've put a lot of extra effort into doing more than what's stated. Here are the ones I put as Mastered:

- Banjo-Kazooie: Completed it fully multiple times, got all the SnS stuff on the 64 version (using those very long codes) and done a few speed runs.

- Star Trek: Bridge Commander: I helped to create various mods, including a complete overhaul of the multiplayer, which was massive and rather popular.

- Burnout Paradise: Multiple top spots on leaderboards (if you exclude glitched times*) for timed challenges, all 500 online challenges done and I played through it using only the R-Turbo Roadster once I unlocked it (it's a fairly early car). I felt that a game that I put over 1100 hours into deserved more than "Completed".

- Fallout 3: I spent so much time doing unmarked side-quests and other stuff, as well as hunting for legendary weapons and stuff.

I still have to unearth and add the rest of my GC games but I think I've just about added everything now. There's still Gameboy but that won't be too difficult as I have them (mostly) all in one place, and Megadrive which isn't anything substantial. Things that worry me are adding Sonic Mega Collection because... do I add each game individually? And PC games... will I be bothered? That will be me adding a bunch of games that will never be completed if they aren't already. Surely the backlog should be games that have a decent chance of being played, no? :heh:

I've also added everyone who's posted in this thread and seems to have an account.

Just added you.

My list has gone down quite a lot after a big trade in at Gamestation towards my ipod. Been adding those games now though and hopefully in the next few months my PS3 collection will grow again once games are released that I want.

There's a button to change a game to "Previously Owned/Rented". So you can still keep a record of old games.

Yeah I know, I just never really use it. If I did then my list would just be stupidly big. Im happy enough to just keep my list as games that I own right now.

I suppose the good thing about Backloggery is that you use it for what you want it for. I like using it as a record of all the games I've played.

Why do you have achievements under the Megadrive version of Streets of Rage 2?

I have no idea. Sorted that mistake.

Oh, and half my games show as USA because I found the option to change it after going most of my games.

I made an account on this last month. Decided against adding all of my games/systems though as it would take ages, plus I only really need to keep track of completion for the current-gen stuff, as pretty much everything else in my collection is complete. :awesome:

Here's my page:

http://backloggery.com/redshell

I'll go through this thread and add all the N-E peeps on there in a bit.

: peace:

..not exactly what I'd have had in mind :laughing:

Ha, yeah. Wonder if it was made locally or something.

I made an account on this last month. Decided against adding all of my games/systems though as it would take ages, plus I only really need to keep track of completion for the current-gen stuff, as pretty much everything else in my collection is complete. :awesome:

Here's my page:

http://backloggery.com/redshell

I'll go through this thread and add all the N-E peeps on there in a bit.

: peace:

I started out gradually adding my Wii and DS stuff then have been adding older generation bits and pieces in dribs and drabs. I think its a good idea to be able to see what games you're not playing. In fact, it got me thinking about Wii Play and Wii Sports and I've had Wii Sports on the past few days again, trying to get the platinum medals. I don't think I ever will. :o

Just decided I wanted to sign up to this, found registrations closed but then discovered that I signed up while it was new.

Went to build my list and decided not to bother! Can't believe I have to build my list manually... As in... type in the full name of every game, hit submit and start again? That's madness. That site needs a massive rehaul!

For starters, I could put my 360 gamertag in and automatically generate all my 360 games and achievement progress. Same for PS3....

I think I'll come back to Backloggery when it joins the 21st century o_o

Edited by Shorty

Went to build my list and... was scared off at first glance. Do I have to build my list manually...? As in... type in the full name of every game, hit submit and start again? That's madness. That site needs a massive rehaul!

Yep, it could be a lot smoother...Also, all the listing gets pretty overwhelming...not sure if I even want to have profile in there. After all, I've been selling my completed games anyway...

Edited by Ville

• 1 year later...

Looking at the last two posts, I know that @Ville bit the bullet and signed up to Backloggery, what about you @Shorty, did you sit down and type in your collection?

I've not made a great deal of use of Backloggery since signing up to it the other year but these past couple of weeks thats changed. You may have noticed I'm using it for my sig here now. Thats so I will always see it and be spurred on to play the games I have, instead of being fixated on the next big thing, as we all tend to be. Admittedly, there are still some things I haven't added (namely Gameboy/ Color and some Gamecube stuff - the GC games are ones I bought on the cheap from CeX (and Rokhed) when the Wii was already out, so I'm not sure I'll ever properly play them) meaning my stats aren't exactly bang on, but that aside, as things stand, I've set myself a little target: to try and whittle my unfinished games percentage down to 40% or less by the end of the year. :indeed: Its only, what, 5% but thats still gonna take about ten games I'd say. I'll be looking to see what I have lying around thats been half played and then set aside for something else rather than starting into my RPG backlog for the time being.

Looking at the amount of games I have for the Wii and DS, its plain to see these two consoles have been the ones that I've been able to buy heaps of games at rock bottom prices. So, so many bargain bin impulse buys over the years.

No, I didn't do it because of the sheer amount of effort involved at the time. It might have changed now but I've lost interest tbf.

If you log in to Xbox.com, or PlayStation network, you can view a list of all the games you've played (automatically generated), and achievements etc which show how much of the game you've completed. These things are freely available for use, so there's no reason you should have to make your own list entirely from scratch.

Sites like myanimelist.net have a huge user-managed database of anime and manga, so you do a search and click on a result and get most of the details filled out for you. Then you just have to rate it and say how far through it you are from drop-down boxes.

If you tell me Backloggery is now more like this, I might give it another try :3

I agree @Shorty

They really need to style it more like Myanimelist. :)

At the moment its a very boring design and the fact that I have to input it all myself is dull.

Listal is another good example they have all the movies and you just have to press whether you have watched it or not.

Playfire is better BUT I really do not like the aesthetics of the website.

Yeah, I have to say I've changed my mind totally now. Instead of fighting it, I've totally embraced it! I like backloggery a lot!

If you log in to Xbox.com, or PlayStation network, you can view a list of all the games you've played (automatically generated), and achievements etc which show how much of the game you've completed. These things are freely available for use, so there's no reason you should have to make your own list entirely from scratch.

Actually, entering information yourself is what makes backloggery much more fun! Instead of just getting bland automatic milestones like "mages guild: arch mage" (i.e. BOOOOOORIIIIIIIIIING), you can write your own stuff about how you're progressing. Like: "Just became arch-mage. Well, doing arena now, at least it's a bit different..." I like writing a little something down after I've played, comes very naturally with the whole keeping records thing. Also, you can see what other people are up to. In this way, it's kind of like twitter for games :D I mean descriptions are much more interesting than anything automatic...For example, I see @Jonnas writing "Little King's Story - Now this is a majestic castle! I'll need to spend some time exploring this properly!" and I can already visualise a majestic castle in my head! :D Also, reading how he progresses gives me all kinds of impressions of the game, giving me some insight into what kind of game it really is. Plus it's just fun to read what other people are up to!

So yeah, I like it very much! Would be even more fun with more people writing down their impressions and experiences. I mean damn, gaming is like any other activity: sure to evoke different kinds of feelings and thoughts! Thus it only makes sense to write these down and share them! Sure, the database could have automatic recognition, but that's not the point anyway, at least not for me. So yes, do give it a shot!

http://backloggery.com/Ville