N-Europe

Cyclists On The Road

Kirkatronics

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yet you choose to ignore what they taught you, if i did that whilst driving i would be banned.

Yet again, different rules.

Bull.

Every driver changes the way they drive after they pass. Nobody sticks to the rules 100& of the time.

Anyway we all know cars are the most dangerous mode of transportation; to the driver, to others around them and to the environment. Thus they suck :heh:

In every group there are always exceptions, ALWAYS.

And the stupid ones are the only ones people notice. No one has ever said to someone "Guess what I saw. A cyclist riding perfectly. It was rather uninteresting".

The idea of insurance for cyclists is stupid. It's almost impossible for a cyclist to cause enough damage to warrant it. The only way a cyclist could cause major damage is by cyling very dangerously, but that's a case for the police, not insurance companies.

I only really cycle on country roads. Once I get to town I normally just walk or cycle very slowly if I do end up on the pavement. The only problem I've had with cyclists in the past was when 2 were riding side by side, but I normally give them a wide berth when in a car anyway so it wasn't really a problem.

I've never really had any problems with cars when I'm on my bike either. I've had a few lorries overtake quite close, but I imagine it's quite hard for them to overtake as they're wide, so it's forgivable. Fucking scary though.

I really don't see the problem with the current laws for bikes. It's illegal to cycle on the pavement if it's next to a road and if the bikes wheels are over a certain size (to allow for kids bikes on pavement). The cyclists (myself included) know the risks of cycling on the road and make the decision accordingly. If a cyclist is in the middle of the lane, use the horn, or just use the right hand lane to overtake.

Thats like saying its less risky to break the rules i na car than a truck, so its acceptable.

You can still cause deaths.

I don't know the difference between car and truck fatal accidents. I assume by what you're saying you know trucks are worse?

Either way, I'm not disputing the potential of death by Raleigh. Just that there is a substantial decrease in the chance. Which is why I can chop time off my journey to/from work by cutting over the pavement and get away with it.

This is your doing, isn't it?

http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/24062009/36/cyclists-divert-cars-laser-beams-0.html

Edited by EEVILMURRAY

Bull.

Every driver changes the way they drive after they pass. Nobody sticks to the rules 100& of the time.

Anyway we all know cars are the most dangerous mode of transportation; to the driver, to others around them and to the environment. Thus they suck :heh:

We all know driver change their styles, but not in a way thats its so dangerous.

And the stupid ones are the only ones people notice. No one has ever said to someone "Guess what I saw. A cyclist riding perfectly. It was rather uninteresting".

The idea of insurance for cyclists is stupid. It's almost impossible for a cyclist to cause enough damage to warrant it. The only way a cyclist could cause major damage is by cyling very dangerously, but that's a case for the police, not insurance companies.

I only really cycle on country roads. Once I get to town I normally just walk or cycle very slowly if I do end up on the pavement. The only problem I've had with cyclists in the past was when 2 were riding side by side, but I normally give them a wide berth when in a car anyway so it wasn't really a problem.

I've never really had any problems with cars when I'm on my bike either. I've had a few lorries overtake quite close, but I imagine it's quite hard for them to overtake as they're wide, so it's forgivable. Fucking scary though.

I really don't see the problem with the current laws for bikes. It's illegal to cycle on the pavement if it's next to a road and if the bikes wheels are over a certain size (to allow for kids bikes on pavement). The cyclists (myself included) know the risks of cycling on the road and make the decision accordingly. If a cyclist is in the middle of the lane, use the horn, or just use the right hand lane to overtake.

When i cam up against this there was no right hand lane, and the cyclist ignored me. Ive come up against this another time, once he moved right over when i honked, and the other moved but not enough.

I don't know the difference between car and truck fatal accidents. I assume by what you're saying you know trucks are worse?

Either way, I'm not disputing the potential of death by Raleigh. Just that there is a substantial decrease in the chance. Which is why I can chop time off my journey to/from work by cutting over the pavement and get away with it.

Its mostly themselves which it causes the risk to, but aslong as they can cause harm to others you should have to follow the rules like everyone else.

Note: The only reason there are more fatal car accidents is because theres more cars.

http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/24062009/36/cyclists-divert-cars-laser-beams-0.html

Its a good concept, but its impossible to implement.

When they go around corners the lane would be off.

EDIT: Although it would be great for increasing visibillity.

Edited by Kirkatronics
Automerged Doublepost

There is inadequate infrastructure for bikes.

I'm sure a fair chunk, maybe even the majority, of car users in cities could use a bike but are simply too lazy. Cycling is healthier, greener and, with dedicated lanes, much safer.

We should promote cycling much much more aggressively over car usage.

We all know driver change their styles, but not in a way thats its so dangerous.

Tell that to the thousands of boy racers who kill themselves/others or the countless other "normal" drivers who refuse to indicate. Taking into account that there are more cars than bikes, I've still seen a higher percentage of dangerous driving than cycling.

Maybe it's different in the cities, but round here I haven't heard of any complaints against cyclists.

Tell that to the thousands of boy racers who kill themselves/others or the countless other "normal" drivers who refuse to indicate. Taking into account that there are more cars than bikes, I've still seen a higher percentage of dangerous driving than cycling.

Maybe it's different in the cities, but round here I haven't heard of any complaints against cyclists.

Agreed! bikers here have a really hard time cause everyone's so impatient. I'd be more concerned about people not wearing helmets on a bike than anything else. My aunt cycles, and she refuses to wear a helmet on a chaotic main road in the rush hour!

As a driver you are expected to be defensive, regardless of what other cars or bikes do. Road rage is pointless and just gets your blood pressure up.

Sure bikers can be careless. If you hit a bike, THEY take the brunt, not you. Could you live with it if you killed them (accidental or not)?

Personally i think more restrictions are needed on motorists. Firstly i'd like to see unmarked cars and speed cameras solely out to catch people doing in excess of 10mph over the speed limit. A £500 fine and three points for the first 10mph, £100 extra for every mph over that and an instant ban for going 20mph over. I'd also like to see regular (every 10 years?) driving tests being brought in, the older people get the more sloppy their driving gets. Experience helps correct this until something unexpected happens, then the problems start.

I think push bikes shouldn't be on roads with motor vehicles, its plain dangerous. I used to cycle lots, and I was considerate, never ran into pedestrians etc etc.

since the law making it illegal to go on paths, I quit cycling. why?

Its plain dangerous to cycle with road users. Even obeying rules, pedal bikes are smaller than motorbikes hence slower to spot, easier to hide in blind spots, and they are slower.

they are also unpredictable. there are two schools of thought for example for what a cyclist should do at a round about.

1)stick to the left, and exit when you want

2)get into lane as a normal road user would.

Either option has major down points, the main one as a cyclist being risking your life, main for car drivers trying to avoid the crazy cyclist who may be doing anything for all you know.

I don't think cyclists being on the road will be improved by a requirement to take an expensive test, what would help would be if cars were limited to 10-20 mph. A ridiculous idea, but then imo so is putting push bikes with motor vehicles. A few weeks ago a guy on a push bike got decapitated back home. when was the last time you read of a pedestrian being killed by a push bike crashing into them?

The main problem i have when cycling around roundabouts is indicators. Why the hell don't car drivers use them? I'm cycling round a freaking motorway exit roundabout with no mirrors, trying to watch for traffic in all directions at once. If people don't indicate i've got no way of knowing they're going to exit, and most don't seem to care for that fact. I've taken to using the pavements to get around them instead.

If i die on a bike it'll be for one of two reasons;

1. Some prat forgets to indicate, plows straight in to the side of me.

2. Some idiot overtakes me in to incoming traffic, miscalculates, hits incoming traffic and causes a pile up.

Neither of those are my fault, they're down to drivers being thick in the head. The last one is the worst, i do a lot of cycling through country lanes. Had a few near misses already.

ride in the centre of the road

There's new guidelines telling cyclists to do this (when there's no cycle lane present) which is why you see people doing it now. See point 2 above, it stops you overtaking them in to oncoming traffic ;) I don't use it because in my experience it just aggravates car drivers (due to ignorance), making accidents more likely.

It's the "40-something, 3 pints in the pub on the way back from the office before doing 90 down country lanes" brigade that annoy me. Boy racers are so overly blamed...

Edited by McPhee

Cyclists are a danger and i do hate them from time to time, but not often. What i really hate and what i believe to be more dangerous than anything (on par with women drivers!) are people who DO NOT INDICATE!!!!. These people drive me mad. It takes only one finger to turn the indicator on, and saves a lot of angry motorists.

All right, I confess!

I rode on the pavement pretty much all the way to work. It's more convenient being on the right side of the road. I did it, ya hear? And I'm glad! GLAD, I TELL YA!

What are they gonna do to me, Sarg.? WHAT ARE THEY GONNA DO?

You have, quite literally, got NOTHING to complain about.

Come to China and you will see real problems with cyclists.

Don't fancy stopping for a red light? Don't bother then! Those things are just for cars anyway!

The cycle lane doesn't appeal to you? No worries, just zig-zag across the middle of the road during heavy traffic, after all, you have wheels, don't you?

Pedestrians on the footpath between you and where you want to be? Not a problem! Ram them in the back of the legs repeatedly until they get out of your precious way, then you can concentrate on zig-zagging in their way for fun!

If you simply don't feel the need to look where you're going or acknowledge that there might be something more than three-feet in front of you, then why bother? After all, that's what your bell is for!

And you know what the best thing is? A cyclist can travel in China at a dangerously high speed, not look where he is going and be talking on a mobile phone and suddenly collide with a pedestrian or car and under the law of China, it is in no way his or her fault.

Yep, it's true. Cyclists have more protection under law than anyone else on the road. I once saw a women having a shouting match on her phone while cycling in heavy traffic, she dodged left out of the cycling lane, crossed a rod going in the wrong direction and ran head-on into a car travelling in the opposite direction - the police arrested the car driver.

Yep, it's true. Cyclists have more protection under law than anyone else on the road. I once saw a women having a shouting match on her phone while cycling in heavy traffic, she dodged left out of the cycling lane, crossed a rod going in the wrong direction and ran head-on into a car travelling in the opposite direction - the police arrested the car driver.

This.

Is it that hard to obey the laws? If we did that, then perhaps everyone would be happy. ::shrug: (Talking about cyclist and car drivers)

When I cycle, I stick to the paths and only switch to the road if no cars are around. I also dismount when I am going past a pedestrian. The roads and paths aren't that busy in my town. Cycling is kind of like an art!

Cycling on roads with cars overtaking you is crazy.. I don't feel safe cycling at the speed of a car either.

I have been hit by a car once, but that was when I was crossing a pedestrian crossing and the driver didn't stop when the lights went red... Her car totally bent my front wheel by 90 degrees, but I only suffered from a bruised little finger when I was knocked to the ground. I am lucky that she didn't drive over me...

Edited by Pyxis

Cyclists are a danger and i do hate them from time to time, but not often. What i really hate and what i believe to be more dangerous than anything (on par with women drivers!) are people who DO NOT INDICATE!!!!. These people drive me mad. It takes only one finger to turn the indicator on, and saves a lot of angry motorists.

thats a very ignorant thing to say. There are bad drivers on BOTH sides of the genders. So thanks for that.

I am a cyclist. I do about 7 miles in total per day, going to, and coming from, work. I'm lucky though as I only do about half a mile on the road and then I'm on to a foot/cycle path called the Middlewood Way.

On my road bit I'm a renegade maverick, but it's not to the detriment of cars. If I'm sat at red lights, and I see there are no cars coming either way then I'll pop across - it then eases congestion for the cars that were behind me. That's essentially the only thing that I can do; go through red lights when cars have to stop.

thats a very ignorant thing to say. There are bad drivers on BOTH sides of the genders. So thanks for that.

Agreed. I would like to call him a twat because I obey every rule whilst I'm driving, thankyou.

I find the younger generation actually tend to be more polite when driving than the older generation. I see alot of see people in their mid 40/50's who are actually incredibly ignorant, won't indicate, won't say thankyou when you let them through.

I would like also the older generation, talking grandad/nana's etc, to take re-tests, I find myself almost disgusted with the way some of them drive, this doesn't include them all, but a fair chunk don't have a clue how to drive anymore and it worries me that the reason they drive 20mph everywhere is so when they see a kid in the road they have plently of time to stop because their reflexes are going.

There's too many problems with being on the road, be it as a cyclist, a motorist, on a motorbike etc. Its one of the many reasons I changed from a motorbike to a car, unfortunetly it doesn't look like its going to change anytime soon.

Agreed. I would like to call him a twat because I obey every rule whilst I'm driving, thankyou.

I find the younger generation actually tend to be more polite when driving than the older generation. I see alot of see people in their mid 40/50's who are actually incredibly ignorant, won't indicate, won't say thankyou when you let them through.

I would like also the older generation, talking grandad/nana's etc, to take re-tests, I find myself almost disgusted with the way some of them drive, this doesn't include them all, but a fair chunk don't have a clue how to drive anymore and it worries me that the reason they drive 20mph everywhere is so when they see a kid in the road they have plently of time to stop because their reflexes are going.

There's too many problems with being on the road, be it as a cyclist, a motorist, on a motorbike etc. Its one of the many reasons I changed from a motorbike to a car, unfortunetly it doesn't look like its going to change anytime soon.

Ive noticed that too, these so called boy racers are a lot more couteous compared to the older ones.

Let you out, wave when you let them out etc.. Basic ettiquette when your driving.

I also i agree with the retest once you get to a certain age, old people sometimes lose their abillity over time. Maybe no one thats so strict, but a basic safety and reactions test.