Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PRICKS GET WHAT THEY DESERVE.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20091007/tuk-yobs-floored-by-cage-fighters-in-dra-45dbed5.html

Trying it on with Cage Fighters in drag on a stag party = big mistake.

Schools in Wales (well, mine anyway) have been like that for at least 8 years.

Anyone had to run into a class and say they'd ran out of toilet paper?

Smells like Mid-lifed Spirit

London (ANI): Music mogul Simon Cowell is all set to launch his own aftershave. Cowell and his fellow judges at The X Factor – Louis Walsh, Dannii Minogue and Cheryl Cole – will release X-Factor fragrances. Each is entitled to a 250,000-pound advance payment and a share of the sales.

They are scheduled to meet experts this week to decide on the fragrances, which will hit the markets before Christmas. The Sun quoted a source as saying: "Simon says his will be the top-seller - he's already winding the other three up."

....hmm.

Edited by Ashley

I'd always wondered why one side of Iapetus was darker than the other :heh:

Really though, it is interesting!

I actually always have wondered that since reading about Iapetus as a kid. I was so excited when I read that article this morning to finally know the answer. :red: I'm such a bloody nerd.

I prefer Arthur C Clarke's explanation...

Arctic Ocean to acid in 10 years.

Waters around the North Pole are absorbing carbon dioxide at such a rate that they will soon start dissolving the shells of living sea creatures.

The potentially disastrous consequences for the food chain have been highlighted by Professor Jean-Pierre Gattuso of the National Centre for Scientific Research in France.

His team of oceanographers have produced startling predictions about the acidity of the Arctic Ocean after research carried out on the Svalbard archipelago, a group of islands half way between Norway and the North Pole, revealed that the problem is more advanced than scientists thought.

Their forecasts suggest that by 2018, 10 per cent of the ocean will be corrosively acidic, rising to 50 per cent in 2050. By 2100 the entire Arctic Ocean will be inhospitable to shellfish, they predict.

"This is extremely worrying," Prof Gattuso told the Oceans of Tomorrow conference in Barcelona.

"We knew that the seas were getting more acidic and this would disrupt the ability of shellfish – like mussels – to grow their shells. But now we realise the situation is much worse."

One of the most vulnerable creatures is likely to be the mollusc Limacina helicina, which seabirds, whales and several species of fish rely on for food.

The process of acidification – by which carbon dioxide emitted into the atmosphere as pollution is absorbed by water and converted into carbonic acid – is taking places in seas and oceans across the world.

But the prognosis is particularly bleak in the polar regions because the gas is more soluble in cold water than hot water.

"Over the whole planet, there will be a threefold increase in the average acidity of the oceans, which is unprecedented during the past 20 million years," Prof Gattuso said

"That level of acidification will cause immense damage to the ecosystem and the food chain, particularly in the Arctic."

Prof Gattuso told the conference that hi-tech proposals for limiting the extent of climate change would have no affect on reducing the acidity of the oceans, and urged immediate action to cut greenhouse gas emissions.

"Scientists have proposed all sorts of geo-engineering solutions to global warming. For instance, they have proposed spraying the upper atmosphere with aerosol particles that would reduce sunlight reaching the Earth, mitigating the warming caused by rising levels of carbon dioxide," he said.

"But these ideas miss the point. They will still allow carbon dioxide emissions to continue to increase – and thus the oceans to become more and more acidic.

"There is only one way to stop the devastation the oceans are now facing and that is to limit carbon-dioxide emissions as a matter of urgency."

The increasing acidity of the Arctic Ocean may have a direct impact on the marine life of the British Isles, as the Lophelia pertusa coral responsible for creating reefs off the coast of Scotland is killed off.

Edited by Dante

Science reporting is generally weak. Poor Journalists are constantly looking for a cheap hook with which to lead a story that, in reality, is about slow and metholodical work making incremental gains in a very specific field that nobody outside of the community has any idea of. The result is sensationalist, misrepresentative 'churnalism'. Real investigative journalism is too expensive for most papers when it comes to Science.

saying that, The Guardian just did a pretty good bit of copy about NASA smashing shit in to the Moon for Lulz

What newspapers do people believe? Im pritty sure i have seen just about every UK paper slagged off on these forums. Some for good reason mind. But really what papers do people trust? Some must be good. The sunday sport perhaps?

I trust none of them. Some are more trustworthy but all have an agenda to sell.

Other than the Metro blates.

While we're at it;

Tracey Jordan to release book "I Am The New Black"

9780385527774.jpg

Its an autobiography (although I'm guessing its shadow written but I hope its still in his linguistic style).

blurg blurb

He's 8 months into his presidency. To date he actually hasn't had many solid achievements.

The major benefit of winning the Nobel Peace Prize is that it gives you fame enough that benefits human rights activists greatly especially when they are putting their lives on the line. It's easy to bump off a few Kazakhstani human rights activists when not that many people know about them, it is nigh on impossible to do it after the NPP puts you on the world stage.

Also, the $1.4 million prize money is needed by these smaller foundations. Obama will probably give the money to charity and although that obviously isn't a bad thing, it could be put to much better use somewhere else.

What good does Obama getting the Nobel Peace Prize do? Relatively sod all.

What good does someone like Morgan Tsvangirai or Shirin Ebadi getting the Nobel Peace Prize do? It makes a massive difference that would probably not be achieved otherwise.

@ Shino: Guantanamo still hasn't been closed. Prosecutions are still being dealt with. And he is sending more troops into Iraq.

Edited by Daft

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!