NEurope

That transfer is very confusing, they claim he maybe doesn't have the talent of the likes of Davide Petrucci and other young united players who play in his position however the club have done nothing but hype him up. I was very much looking forward to seeing him in a united shirt since he seemed to have much potential and I can't help but think that this is somehow motivated by money. A new January transfer target possibly? We know Ferguson is still looking at Denkzo (sp?) and Defour and there is the constant speculation over Villa (would Rooney or Berbs really sit on the bench?) and Silva.

Apparantly his agent says that there is some trouble over a work permit, but that he still hope it can go through. I feel so sorry for the kid, because it must have seemed like a done deal for quite some time now. I mean, I thought the deal was already sorted. United have handled this pretty badly, imo. :hmm:

A possibility is that United are possibly looking at bringing in someone with experience instead of paying so much money for youth again. That's a lot of money they were thinking of paying for someone his age, and also take into account the money for the likes of Anderson and Nani when they came to the club. The possibility could be that the money is being diverted into other signings. Nevertheless, I'm very shocked at all of this. As far as I knew, he was a United player.

Gosh, England is really in the easiest group ever..

Group of death -> Brazil, Cote d'Ivoire, North-Korea & Portugal

Oh and France totally lucked out with South-Africa.

Can't complain at that :D

Also Group G will see only two from Brazil, Portugal and Ivory Coast go through, then one of them will have to meet Spain from Group H.

So thats at least two decent teams we won't have to play.

Decent group for us, the match against the USA will be interesting. Especially if Beckham plays.

Yeah Algeria, Slovenia and USA, good group!

Plus we've already played Slovenia and the USA in the last 18months, so that should make those two games easier!

Good group, yes, but I would have preferred a tougher one so that we're playing at the top of our game come the second round. It's lined up to be a very good world cup, whatever happens to England, all the likely quarter final games look very tantalising.

My predictions from the QF onwards:

France vs England

Netherlands vs Brazil

Argentina vs Germany [Repeat of the '86 final]

Italy vs Spain

Semi Final's:

England vs Brazil

Argentina vs Spain

Final:

England vs Argentina, and i'm tipping Argentina to win.

This is only as things stand now with all of England's key players fit (and James Milner in the side) but I think we'll get to the final and on the day, who knows what could happen?

You think we'd beat Brazil in the competition?.. Don't see it happening. I know they've been off the boil, but they're a different team come the competition.

Pretty happy with the draw. We should progress out of our group.

The cheating French got given the dream draw, so lucky.

Another easy draw for the English, how will you manage to cock it up this time then?

Another easy draw for the English, how will you manage to cock it up this time then?

Who is in your group? oh wait.........

Who is in your group? oh wait.........

Haha. We were never gonna be there because we are epically shit with terrible players and crap management, so let's not turn this into a bashing of Scotland. Surely no one would disagree that England have had it fairly easy in recent years when it comes to International competitions - qualifying and main events. The first example that comes to mind would be failing to qualify for Euro 2008, when the hardest team to you had in your group was Croatia.

I probably should have expanded on my original point, alas it frustrates us Jocks that you boys always seem to get things a little easier than us, and the fact that you're far better :heh:

The annoying thing about Scotland is that the last 2 campaigns we've been great for half of it. Latter part of the 08 qualifiers and first half of the last set we were easily good enough to qualify. We just can't keep it up for an entire campaign.

I have to say.. this is one of the most difficult seasons I have had as a Liverpool fan :sad: It's getting harder to keep faith at the moment :hmm:

I have to say.. this is one of the most difficult seasons I have had as a Liverpool fan :sad: It's getting harder to keep faith at the moment :hmm:

Really is horrible isnt it

Gutted at our result yesterday.

I would have taken a draw considering the referee was allowing Derby to kick lumps out of our team and they had no real intention to play any football after going ahead, but after showing such fight to turn the game around against 12 men in the last 10 minutes of the match, to concede such a shit equaliser in the last second of the game is gut wrenching.

Fucking Robbie Savage is a prick, no doubt about it. He was well into double figures for late challenges and that was against Dorrans alone, never mind the rest of our team. If the wanker had been carded after the third or forth, he wouldn't have been able to carry on his antics through the rest o the match for fear of a second yellow.

Thankfully the ref didn't sent Graham off for retaliating against Savage, but if the ref had been doing his job right anyway that twat would have already had his marching orders.

Get the feeling i hate Robbie 'Fucking' Savage?... The Cock.

In other news, great for Arsenal to see Arshavin play so well in the strikers role yesterday. Really clever play, and a nice goal to boot.

Also a shame to see two more defenders out for United.

:EDIT:

I almost forgot about Bullard limping off. It's his other knee that went this time wasn't it. Hopefully it's not too serious. Best of luck to him.

Edited by DuD

I don't think you're alone DuD, does anyone like that mug Savage?

Whilst we were back playing well yesterday we could have had a few more. What with Arshavin missing two decent chances, the penalty and Eboue playing in goal for Stoke. Really enjoyed the game though, had some quality seats behind the south goal, near the away fans. Although Stoke's chants of "You're gonna win fuck all" were quite ironic it was decent banter. Plus I won myself a tenner on Arshavin scoring first, so good day all round.

That Gibson seems to be stepping up to the plate. Another quality strike from him yesterday. Though it did make me quite sad thinking that he looks like a competent player who could hold himself well and all our promising stars could get blown over by a gust of wind.

Group D is pretty tasty. Germany, Australia, Ghana and Serbia. Group G is also looking quite great, too. I love it when the World Cup/European Championships roll around. Used to love coming home from school and watching a game or two every day. :D

Robbie Savage is an arsehole. He likes to get stuck in, but he's a bit of a thug. However, I can imagine that his own fans and team-mates like him, as he seems to be a bit of a joker in the group. But, I find his tackling pretty reckless.

Ramar, Gibson does look pretty great, doesn't he? He's got some great elements to his game. I do think some United fans are hyping him up a little bit too early, but he does look great at the moment. I don't know what it is about this team, but there are always players ready to step in and put in a good shift. Anderson and Gibson are barely in their 20s, yet they're commanding games in the midde of the park. I don't know what they teach them at Carrington, but their attitude to the game is excellent.

Yesterday was bluddy crazy. Fletcher has played at right back before, so that didn't worry me. But, Carrick at centre-back was a new one, haha. He actually looked pretty great there, though. Saying that, he's got all of the attributes to make a good centre-half, except for maybe mobility. He's got height, great awareness, composure (his biggest attribute, imo) and is very much a team player. As long as there is someone next to him to work with him, so that he's not isolated, he'll be fine.

I'm pleased with our midfield getting some more goals. In particular, Valencia. I don't think there is a single United fan out there who regrets bringing him to the club. He's looked very good, imo. He isn't known for his goal scoring, but he's got a few now, and some important ones, too.

I watched the Everton-Spurs game earlier. What a cracker, an absolute belter of a second half. I predicted Howard to make the save, much to the dismay of my brother who predicted a Spurs victory. Gah, I miss Saha. :(

Looking forward to Villa's game at Old Trafford on Saturday. With United's injury crisis in defence it looks like a good opportunity for Villa to end the 15 year stretch without a win against United in the Premier League.

We've got minimal injury problems, got a new look and exciting midfield and we've scored 7 goals in 2 games so confidence will be high in the camp. I'm thinking we'll line up like this:

Friedel

Young Cueller Dunne Warnock

Young Petrov Milner Reo Coker Downing

Agbonlahor

Will give us a strong attacking force as well as good cover against Man United's strong midfield. It'll be tight, but I'm very hopeful of a win. Got ESPN at my flat now and my flat mate is a hardcore United fan so it'll be buzzing here come 5:30 on Saturday, bring it on!

That reminds me of last season's fixture. We had troubles with our defence then, too. If I remember right, Gary Neville was playing centre back, and Agbonlahor gave him a torrid time. He's too short to be playing in that position.

8 defenders out. Our only fit first choice is defender is Evra, and even our cover are struggling for fitness. Vidic has the flu, but I'm hoping he'll be back in time for Villa. I'm betting that Brown will be ok, too...well, hoping more than anything. We know that the young lad De Laet is pretty decent, and he can play anywhere along the back four.

It wouldn't be so bad if one of either O'shea and Evans were available, but both are out until the New Year. We could have used his versatility. :(

Midfield wise, we still have (providing none get injured tonight) Anderson, Scholes, Gibson, Fletcher, Carrick, Giggs, Obertan, Nani, Park and Valencia. We know that Fletcher can slot in at right back (and do a pretty great job of it) and Carrick did ok at centre-back but I'm worried about how he'll cope with some real pace. That means that we really need one centre-back available, so that's where we're hoping for either Vidic or Brown back in time.

Apparantly Berbatov and Rooney are both doubts for the Villa game, but I don't know the full extent of that. Here's what my predicted team is.

Kuzczack

Fletcher - ? (one of either Carrick, Brown or De Laet) - Vidic - Evra

Valencia - Gibson - Anderson - Scholes - Giggs

Rooney

I think it'll be near enough the same team that played last week. Tight across the midfield, giving protection to the back four. Giggs and Valencia supporting Rooney. Probably Anderson playing the holding role as I think he's the most mobile out of centre midfielders.

I'd like us to go 442, with either Scholes or Gibson being sacrificed for Berbatov. But, given the defensive crisis, I think we'll play 451 to add some protection for the back four.

If Vidic AND Brown don't recover in time, then push Fletcher at centre back and put De Laet at right back. It's going to be a tough game.

I don't think Gabby's height is the only thing which would threaten G Nev, I'm thinking it might be something to do with his explosive pace.

I don't think Gabby's height is the only thing which would threaten G Nev, I'm thinking it might be something to do with his explosive pace.

The pace is another one, as Neville hasn't quite got the legs anymore. But, I think Gary is too short to be playing centreback anyway. If he was about 2 or 3 inches taller, he would've been a great centre back for us. Rio and Vidic dwarf over him. :heh:

Rio, Vidic, Jonny and Wes are all 6 feet tall. So is Carrick, so I'm not too surprised that he slotted in ok there. They're all pretty mobile though (apart from Carrick, imo and also Neville who has lost a yard or two). Positional sense wise, I think they're all quite strong in that department, too. I don't think we conceded a single goal from a set piece until the Chelsea game, if I'm right.

So, as a rule, I don't think Neville should ever play centre half, haha.

Edit: From what I remember about the Villa game last year, we had O'shea playing on the right of defence and Neville and Evans in the middle. Neville wasn't having the best of games, so didn't he then swap with O'shea? So, Neville on the right, with Jonny and...John in the middle? I'm going to have to look that up to make sure I get that right, but I think that's correct.

Edit, The Sequel: Yeah...we went 1-0 up, but then Carew towered over Neville for a cross to equalise.

Edit, with a Vengeance: Park is playing at right back. Fletcher and Carrick in central defence and Evra (naturally) at left back.

If we don't concede, it'll be a flaming miracle.

Edit, Resurrection: Wait, is it Park or Gibson at right back tonight? I think it may be Gibson actually.

Edited by Fierce_LiNk