NEurope

God, I remember checking to see the score and seeing that it was one-nil. That is one hell of a second half performance. Defoe scoring five...that's not going to harm his England chances one bit, is it?!

I really like Wigan, and I hope that they bounce back from this. But man, that's gotta hurt.

Ah, what a day. I was at o2 arena watching the tennis with my phone on my lap, as Murray was trouncing Del Porto the goals were flowing. What a day!! :D

2 wins in 9 :yay:

Haha, if you think that's bad, spare a thought for Liverpool at the moment. What is it now? 1 in 10? Not a huge difference, but still.

I watched Match of the Day 2 last night. Tottenham were rampant...something like 15 attempts on target and 11 off-target. Great finishing. I can't imagine what it must have been like to go to that game. Everytime they went forward, they just looked so dangerous.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/w/wigan_athletic/8374893.stm

Wigan players are refunding the fans who travelled to see this game. A very, very decent thing for them to do.

Edited by Fierce_LiNk

Liverpool may get out of this slump when we get all our players back but we arent going to get further in the league until we sort out squad out so its stronger. I mean we were playing N'Gog upfront on his own this weekend!

Liverpool may get out of this slump when we get all our players back but we arent going to get further in the league until we sort out squad out so its stronger. I mean we were playing N'Gog upfront on his own this weekend!

I know Liverpool play with one striker up top, but generally they have attacking players supporting that striker. In that line-up against City, you had Yossi, Kuyt and Gerrard. So, there are still goals there. The trouble is, outside of the first 11, there are only a select one or two who I think could grab you a goal. Babel is one of them. Maybe Riera who was on the bench, too.

I still think the one upfront style only works when we play Torres and Gerrard because of how well they work together, if one or both arent playing personally I would switch to 4-4-2

I still think the one upfront style only works when we play Torres and Gerrard because of how well they work together, if one or both arent playing personally I would switch to 4-4-2

Honestly, I don't think 4-4-2 suits Liverpool at all, mainly because I don't think Rafa trusts his strikers. Would you be content with Kuyt and Babel up front? :hmm:

Plus, Liverpool like to play with Lucas and Mascherano in the middle. They're not attacking players at all. So, service to the strikers would rely on the wingers (and maybe full-backs). So, Benayoun on one side and Riera on the other? That would work, but it would leave you weak in the centre, imo. Then, where does Gerrard play? Instead of Lucas, or does he go upfront with Kuyt?

Im not a big fan of Babel but I think he should have been given a chance upfront a long time ago. Id drop both Lucas and Masch then have Gerrard and Aquilani in the middle but this of course just highlights what I was saying, our squad is crap so if we need another striker upfront then we have to just go with one of the crappy ones weve got left like Voronin, N'Gog, shifting Kuyt or Babel as you said.

I watched Match of the Day 2 last night. Tottenham were rampant...something like 15 attempts on target and 11 off-target. Great finishing. I can't imagine what it must have been like to go to that game. Everytime they went forward, they just looked so dangerous.

I'm not trying to belittle the score, but some of the defending was atrocious.

Haha, if you think that's bad, spare a thought for Liverpool at the moment. What is it now? 1 in 10? Not a huge difference, but still.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/w/wigan_athletic/8374893.stm

Wigan players are refunding the fans who travelled to see this game. A very, very decent thing for them to do.

The difference is, Liverpool are playing in the EPL. Celtic are in the SPL. And we like to think of ourselves as one of the top teams in Europe?

Im not a big fan of Babel...

It frustrates me to say it but if Babel had joined Arsenal instead of Liverpool, he'd probably be a much better and more confident player by now :hmm:

As much as I respect what Rafa has done for the club since he arrived (our first team is significantly superior to what he inherited :smile:) his treatment of some players has been less than impressive :sad:

Edited by nekunando

It frustrates me to say it but if Babel had joined Arsenal instead of Liverpool, he'd probably be a much better and more confident player by now :hmm:

I think thats another problem with Benitez, he just doesnt know how to manage some players. Yeah I know Arsenal play a style more suited to Babel so thats one reason but it seems to happen quite often that Benitez cant get the best out of certain players. Almost makes me miss Houllier.

Im not a big fan of Babel but I think he should have been given a chance upfront a long time ago. Id drop both Lucas and Masch then have Gerrard and Aquilani in the middle but this of course just highlights what I was saying, our squad is crap so if we need another striker upfront then we have to just go with one of the crappy ones weve got left like Voronin, N'Gog, shifting Kuyt or Babel as you said.

What type of midfielder is Aquilani? Is he a defensive one, attacking or just an all-rounder? I ask because I think Liverpool benefit from having Mascherano infront of the back four. I don't rate Skrtel at all, Carragher is looking a bit tired and Agger spends more time on the treatment table than he does playing. So, having someone like Mascherano there really keeps the back four protected.

I don't think the strikers have been given too much of a chance upfront though. For a long time, I thought Babel was a winger because he spent a lot of his time playing there. Kuyt hasn't played up front since...god knows when.

What type of midfielder is Aquilani? Is he a defensive one, attacking or just an all-rounder? I ask because I think Liverpool benefit from having Mascherano infront of the back four. I don't rate Skrtel at all, Carragher is looking a bit tired and Agger spends more time on the treatment table than he does playing. So, having someone like Mascherano there really keeps the back four protected.

I don't think the strikers have been given too much of a chance upfront though. For a long time, I thought Babel was a winger because he spent a lot of his time playing there. Kuyt hasn't played up front since...god knows when.

From what ive seen (about 20 minutes) Aquilani seems a bit of an all rounder but probably more attacking than defensive, he seemed very similar to Alonso to me, trying to pick out passes etc.

Dont get me wrong, I think Mascherano is great. Just if we are talking about 442 im hoping Aquilani will do with Gerrard what Alonso used to.

As for our defenders I actually like Skrtel and as long as Agger can stay fit then they could soon become our main two. Carragher of course was great but he is getting older and slower.

I'm not trying to belittle the score, but some of the defending was atrocious.

Yeah, they pointed out some of that on Match of the Day. The left back...Edman I think it was? Lennon just ran rings all over him, all day. I think they really miss having somebody such as Palacios or Cattermole in front of the back four. Lennon was really up for it though.

The difference is, Liverpool are playing in the EPL. Celtic are in the SPL. And we like to think of ourselves as one of the top teams in Europe?

So do Liverpool, though. :heh:

I can see where you're coming from, 2 in 9 really isn't good enough considering what they're aiming for.

From what ive seen (about 20 minutes) Aquilani seems a bit of an all rounder but probably more attacking than defensive, he seemed very similar to Alonso to me, trying to pick out passes etc.

Dont get me wrong, I think Mascherano is great. Just if we are talking about 442 im hoping Aquilani will do with Gerrard what Alonso used to.

As for our defenders I actually like Skrtel and as long as Agger can stay fit then they could soon become our main two. Carragher of course was great but he is getting older and slower.

Yeah, I had an incline that he was more attacking than defensive. A deep-lying play-maker maybe?

If Liverpool play 4-4-2 though, who is going up front with Torres? They've spent so long playing 4-2-3-1, and in my opinion it suits them because it gives them added protection at the back. What I think they need is maybe somebody who can turn the defence into attack with that one ball, which is what Alonso did so well.

I don't know, just something about Skrtel that I don't like. With your central defenders, you need them to be consistent and a commanding prescence. I don't think he's there yet. I think Agger is the best central option, but then the trouble is keeping him fit.

I think Benitez is rushing players back too early which is why we have all these problems, maybe once its all calmed down Agger will have a proper chance to heal (at least I hope thats it)

We definately have missed Alonso this season, Lucas has in no way filled his role and even when he plays okish I think hes a bit pointless where he is. Aquilani is our only hope at the moment, but of course thats a bad thing with all the Liverpool fans putting our hopes onto one player.

You are right though, we dont have that striker who could step in next to Torres for the 442, I just wish we did. We need to be able to throw on another striker when things arent working and we dont have anyone like that. Benitez has always had the problem of having no plan B (apart from the Champions League final but that was so long ago now)

I think thats another problem with Benitez, he just doesnt know how to manage some players... Benitez cant get the best out of certain players.

Yeh, that's kinda the point I was getting at. I feel that Arsene Wenger would have nurtured Ryan Babel's talents much better than Benitez seems to have done. When you look at how light we are up front, you have to wonder how he still has to make do on the bench when he or Kuyt, both forwards, would be likely to do a better job up there than N'Gog on his own :hmm:

What type of midfielder is Aquilani?

Aquilani is a creative midfield player that should help us in attack. He should provide more of a spark in midfield that anyone we currently have..

I don't rate Skrtel at all, Carragher is looking a bit tired and Agger spends more time on the treatment table than he does playing.

I have absolutely no confidence in our defense this season :sad: I must be the only Liverpool supporter who was never a big fan of Jamie Carragher, despite his heroics in some games. Skrtel has failed to grow on me at all but Agger is probably my favourite of the three, it's just a shame he can't seem to stay fit :hmm: I like how he sometimes breaks out from defense with the ball and just keeps going when there is no challenge. Liverpool need more of that incentive from the front players and not rely on Glen Johnson and Benayoun to take players on.

I think Benitez is rushing players back too early which is why we have all these problems, maybe once its all calmed down Agger will have a proper chance to heal (at least I hope thats it)

We definately have missed Alonso this season, Lucas has in no way filled his role and even when he plays okish I think hes a bit pointless where he is. Aquilani is our only hope at the moment, but of course thats a bad thing with all the Liverpool fans putting our hopes onto one player.

You are right though, we dont have that striker who could step in next to Torres for the 442, I just wish we did. We need to be able to throw on another striker when things arent working and we dont have anyone like that. Benitez has always had the problem of having no plan B (apart from the Champions League final but that was so long ago now)

I think he's really starting to pay the price for the lack of squad depth, particularly defensively. Agger clearly needs more time, and if Rafa had more faith in his squad he would have played someone else in Agger's place.

The fans are pinning too much hope on Aquilani, just like sometimes when United fans pin too much hope on Hargreaves when he comes back. The trouble is, you really just have to make do with what is available. When a few of our players were injured a few seasons back, it allowed Anderson to get a run of games where he impressed. Last season, the same thing happened (although now Anderson had a couple of injuries) and Fletcher impressed...look at him now. The one player who I think has stood up and be counted is Yossi. Lucas is still very divided amongst fans, and maybe in time he will come good.

I have absolutely no confidence in our defense this season :sad: I must be the only Liverpool supporter who was never a big fan of Jamie Carragher, despite his heroics in some games. Skrtel has failed to grow on me at all but Agger is probably my favourite of the three, it's just a shame he can't seem to stay fit :hmm: I like how he sometimes breaks out from defense with the ball and just keeps going when there is no challenge. Liverpool need more of that incentive from the front players and not rely on Glen Johnson and Benayoun to take players on.

Imo, Carragher was always loved by fans because of his accent. He's a good defender, but he hasn't consistently been good for quite some time now. Agger is quality. The one player who has disappointed me is Insua. He just looks worse and worse as each game goes by, in my opinion. Used to rate him somewhat, too.

The one player who has disappointed me is Insua. He just looks worse and worse as each game goes by, in my opinion. Used to rate him somewhat, too.

I remember hearing Alan Green rave about him on Radio Five Live saying he looked very promising.. he looks a bit like a mix between Carlos Tevez and Titus Bramble, but is playing more like the latter during his slump..

Im still hopeful for Insua but this season he has showed that he really needs to work on the defensive side of his game, more and more Aurellio seems to be brought on to cover for Insua on the left.

Dirk Kuyt hasn't been having a great season either :hmm: A lot of people don't rate him but I was always quite fond of him :smile:

This season, however, I'm finding myself starting to turn on him a little as I feel we need more of a cutting edge on the wings. I guess that'll be helped when Glen Johnson plays regularly and hopefully when Aquilani settles in after his injury.

Edited by nekunando

Ive always been mixed about Kuyt, last season when he was scoring quite a few goals I was happy enough but there are times when I really wish we had a proper winger on the right. I even felt Pennant should have been given more of a chance.

Ive always been mixed about Kuyt, last season when he was scoring quite a few goals I was happy enough but there are times when I really wish we had a proper winger on the right. I even felt Pennant should have been given more of a chance.

Yeh.. as does Pennant :heh: There were many occasions when Kuyt was underperforming and Rafa stuck by him, leaving Pennant on the bench. It's a shame Benitez only seems to grant this immunity to a select few. He clearly has his favourites :sad: