NEurope

So Liverpool having just the Champions League & FA Cup to play for now.

Why the hell did Benitez buy the overrated "winger" Johnson for £18 million when that money should have gone on a No.2 to Torres.

Sacked after the defeat to Lyon?

So Liverpool having just the Champions League & FA Cup to play for now.

Why the hell did Benitez buy the overrated "winger" Johnson for £18 million when that money should have gone on a No.2 to Torres.

Sacked after the defeat to Lyon?

Because any striker you can sign for 18million is going to be happy sitting on the bench for 90% of the time aren't they:rolleyes:

I don't even think you should necessarilly be complaining about Johnson (maybe his fee), I'd be more concerned with the lack of Alonso replacement, and sheer lack of desire and creativity in the team when Gerard and Torres are missing.

Ive been pretty happy with what ive seen of Johnson. I think our main problem is that we have such a weak squad outside our main players.

Im still hopeful Aquilani can step into Alonso's shoes, what I saw of him midweek looked promising.

I think Aquilani can be a good player if he stays injury free, only time will tell on that.

And I just stumbled across this gif.

33th7hk.gif

Had a £2 bet on Fabregas to score anytime (odds were crap 2/1), one of my predictions that just hit me during the week. I just knew he'd score.

Then don't watch the games.. Those teams whether you like their style or not have earnt the right to play in the premier league.

That's how I feel, too. You need relegation and promotion, because how humiliating would it feel for the same team to finish bottom of the league each season? Relegation is sometimes a good thing, because it can allow teams to re-build themselves again, and they're not just thrown back in at the deep end. And, promotion: How proud must you feel to see your team promoted to the next league? We need to keep these sorts of things in football, not throw them out.

I'm pleased with the wn against Blackburn, especially as I was a tad bit nervous about it, because they can be a bit problematic and I wasn't sure how we'd recover from the defeat against Liverpool. Again, I thought Berbatov looked very good. I smiled so hard when his shot went in (lovely goal, btw) and he celebrated in front of the crowd. I genuinally think many fans are starting to get won over now and are liking his creative style of play. From what I remember, he got a standing ovation when he went off for Owen. Probably one of our best performers this season. The difference today was the service in to him was a lot better. Anderson and Valencia were both excellent and seem to get better with every game. I thought Valencia was our best performer last weekend.

The Liverpool situation is not down to Glen Johnson. It's the fact that there is lack of unity. There are no individual mistakes, but collectively there is no stability or spark there. You outplayed us last weekend, but the momentum hasn't carried on at all. As Happenstance says, look outside of the main 11, and it's a worry. The only regular "impact player" or sub that I can remember coming on regularly in games is Babel. N'Gog in a few games here and there. I still think Rafa should have built a bigger squad of players by now. Take United for example: Rio and Vidic didn't play, and in stepped Wes Brown and Johnny Evans. Most United fans didn't even blink, because we know what these players can do, and we trust them to come in and do the job well. Do you feel the same when you see Kyrgiakos or Degen on the teamsheet? Or Voronin?

There were so many red cards in the Premier League over the weekend. Quite a few of them were harsh...about half shouldn't have been given, imo.

Well that was a pretty shaky performace and pretty lucky at the end with Valencia's deflected shot to get the draw for 3-3. But we are through and that's all that matters and hopefully Vidic and Rio will be back at their best soon enough. Fletcher's card will surely be turned round, stonewall penalty with both legs taken out and carded for a dive WTF?

Well that was a pretty shaky performace and pretty lucky at the end with Valencia's deflected shot to get the draw for 3-3. But we are through and that's all that matters and hopefully Vidic and Rio will be back at their best soon enough. Fletcher's card will surely be turned round, stonewall penalty with both legs taken out and carded for a dive WTF?

When we went 3-1 down, I thought "oh noes, it could be a very bad day." But, we eased our way back into things and I think we pushed really hard. Akinfeev made some awesome saves. Krasic looked brilliant, too.

I felt the goal was coming, but we really, really, really need to bury our chances. I don't know what kind of shooting or finishing training they do at Carrington, but it's something that needs serious work on. I would also be interested in knowing what Michael Owen's chance to goal ratio is! But, he got a goal tonight, so I was pleased. There were moments in the second half where Macheda hit the post and Akinfeev just kept on making good saves. Had we been a touch sharper, we could've won this.

I blew the roof down when Valencia scored. (well, it was a deflected/own goal, but still)

Fletcher's card will surely be turned round, stonewall penalty with both legs taken out and carded for a dive WTF?

although it was clearly a penalty I don't think yellow cards can be appealed except in the case of mistaken identity.

although it was clearly a penalty I don't think yellow cards can be appealed except in the case of mistaken identity.

Neither can red cards, as we learned last year with the Fletcher and Abidal incidents.

I can't say I paid too much attention to tonight's games.. tomorrow night is where my focus has been since the travesty at Crave Cottage on Saturday :hmm:

I have almost been scared to look at the Premier League table in recent weeks considering our horrendous form.. but since Manchester United play Chelsea at the weekend, the gap still seems like it could be bridged over the rest of the season.. but only if we were to somehow rediscover the determination we showed in the latter part of last season!

I know I'm clutching at straws, but I have to believe we can still do it.. It hurts to contemplate otherwise :hmm:

As for the trip to Lyon, I admit I am quite fearful.. we just seem to have too many holes to fill with Gerrard, Aurelio, Johnson and Riera missing.. and obviously still no Alberto Aquilani :sad:

Ah yeah forgot about europes rules... shit.

Just watched Liverpool. My God Voronin is useless.

Really disappointed, feel we deserved the win. Not meant to be unfortunately.

Totally agree with you about Voronin, he's just not good enough, he missed a sitter, and did nothing else. Mashcherano was awesome, Lucas played well aswell.

Babels goal was stunning, super finish, and Lloris got nowhere near, great goal. No idea why Benitez took Torres off 5 minutes from the end?? Weird, he didn't look like he needed to be taken off.

Overall, was disappointed. Slim chance of us going through now.

I thought most of the good football tonight came from Liverpool. But, in all honesty, a draw probably seems quite a fitting result, in my opinion. Both teams seemed a tad cautious. Cagey is the word I'd use. I think Rafa went into this game with the mentality of "not losing."

Mascherano was magnificent tonight. But, the badness of Voronin restored balance to the Universe. Babel's goal was well taken, and I actually gasped (like....*sudden intake of breath*) when Lisandro got the equaliser. I thought he was a good outlet for them tonight, playing very wide on the left, almost hugging the touchline. I did think to myself "hmm, I wonder how he'd fair playing in the centre."

In all honesty, as a football fan, I think Liverpool would provide more entertaining football in the next stages than Lyon would.

I'm tempted to delete my post. It sickens me to give any praise to the Pool or Arse. :heh:

As for Torres going off, I think it was a precautionary thing on Rafa's part. He seems to want to wrap the lad in cotton wool at the moment. But, who can blame him? Saying that, I don't think Torres was hugely influential tonight. Mascherano was, by quite some distance, Liverpool's best performer.

Arsenal were awesome tonight, my sky box cut out after the 4th goal and missed the Lens goal back. Saw the replay of it and Arsenal just switched off appealing for the penalty, apart from that Fabregas was brilliant.

Arsenal were awesome tonight, my sky box cut out after the 4th goal and missed the Lens goal back. Saw the replay of it and Arsenal just switched off appealing for the penalty, apart from that Fabregas was brilliant.

Didn't Arshavin set up 3 of the goals tonight, or had a hand in them?

I remember the first time I "discovered" Arshavin. I was at the pub with my Liverpool supporting friend, and it was Liverpool vs Arsenal. Before the game started, I said to him "I really don't know what to make of this Arshavin bloke. Haven't seen enough of him yet."

When his fourth goal went in, I just turned to him and said "yeah, he's a bit good, isn't he?" Obviously, he didn't say much, as the game was 4-3 by that point to Arsenal with seconds left. He jumped out of his chair when Liverpool equalised to make it 3-3 and he quickly sat back down and looked depressed when the fourth went in. One of the most remarkable games I've ever seen.

Yeah he did, he was invaluable to the eventual scoreline when he came off.

Edited by Emerald Emblem

He was actually shit in the first half of that Liverpool game, even though he'd got himself on the scoresheet.

Quality player is our Andrey, though he does like to go missing in games then pop up with something outstanding.

I've only come here to post one thing;

sportsdirect.com @ St James' Park Stadium

oh how I laughed when I heard that news!

nice one Burnley getting their first away point of the season :)

Really? I've not checked the scores but they were playing Man City, yeah? This morning when I saw todays fixtures I said to my mate that Burnely are in for a thrashing today- how wrong I was.

(And Man City dropping points can only be good for Liverpool... can't believe I'm looking at how the opposition for fourth place are faring at this stage of the season. :()

He was actually shit in the first half of that Liverpool game, even though he'd got himself on the scoresheet.

Quality player is our Andrey, though he does like to go missing in games then pop up with something outstanding.

I did think he was quite ineffective during the first half. But, the second half, I don't know how he managed to bag a hat-trick then. He was on fire. Every shot he had, he scored. I can't remember Arsenal creating too many chances, though. Still...to score four goals against Liverpool is bluddy impressive. Whether he had a great game or not!

When I saw Burnley going 2-0 up, I cheered. Fucking City. But then, I said to my brother that I thought City would still bounce back. I pop to the hair cutters to get my hair cut, come back, and it's 3-2 to City.

:(

But then, Burnleeeeeeey got another. I've got a seriously sore throat, but I still cheered.

Also, very nervous about tomorrow's game. I need a hug.

Back up to 4th. TERRIBLE performance today, completely down to Harry and him changing the effing system AGAIN. We've changed the system 4 times this season - against Chelski, ManUre and the Scum before today. And we played awfully every time. HARRY, PLAY THE WAY WE PLAY!!!! Anyways, good win, good clean sheet and good results around us.

Easy home win against Wigan next week too!!

I did think he was quite ineffective during the first half. But, the second half, I don't know how he managed to bag a hat-trick then. He was on fire. Every shot he had, he scored. I can't remember Arsenal creating too many chances, though. Still...to score four goals against Liverpool is bluddy impressive. Whether he had a great game or not!

When I saw Burnley going 2-0 up, I cheered. Fucking City. But then, I said to my brother that I thought City would still bounce back. I pop to the hair cutters to get my hair cut, come back, and it's 3-2 to City.

:(

But then, Burnleeeeeeey got another. I've got a seriously sore throat, but I still cheered.

Also, very nervous about tomorrow's game. I need a hug.

You should be very nervous indeed :grin:

I think Chelsea has the advantage for tomorrow, Man Utd is no bad team by any means, but they're too reliant on particular players ( And yes I'm talking about Giggs and Rooney)...

Defensively they're in big trouble with Ferdinand missing, Drogba being on fire, Joe Cole being given a lot of confidence from his coach and the midfield booming. Chelsea finally have let go of their Mourinho ways and it pays off...

Hoping for a memorable match tomorrow : peace:

You should be very nervous indeed :grin:

I think Chelsea has the advantage for tomorrow, Man Utd is no bad team by any means, but they're too reliant on particular players ( And yes I'm talking about Giggs and Rooney)...

Defensively they're in big trouble with Ferdinand missing, Drogba being on fire, Joe Cole being given a lot of confidence from his coach and the midfield booming. Chelsea finally have let go of their Mourinho ways and it pays off...

Hoping for a memorable match tomorrow : peace:

The big advantage for Chelsea is that the game is at Stamford Bridge tomorrow. Realistically, the top four or so teams should win their home games against their rivals. That, and Drogba and Anelka are on top form.

Saying that, they're not unbeatable. Defensively, they are vunerable at defending set pieces, and Cech isn't looking like he's on top of his game at the moment.

For United, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the two players you have mentioned haven't even been our best players this season. I think that would have to go to either Evra or Berbatov. When Berbatov is playing, we look like a much, much better team attacking wise. Not only that, but I think he gives Rooney more space to work with. Giggs is having a great season, but I would say that both Evra and Berbatov are looking great this year. Last few games, Valencia has been our best player. He was one of the only performers against Liverpool and in our last Champions League game.

I'm not sure if the game is going to be great at all. I think it'll be a battle of the midfields, and like the Liverpool vs Chelsea game, I think there will only be a few defining moments in the match. One thing that worries me is our formation for tomorrow. I'll be pissed if we go 4-5-1, but I wouldn't bet against it as Fergie will probably try to nullify that midfield.

Defensive wise, I think Vidic is someone who needs to have a great game. But, he's a doubt for the game. Rio hasn't been on form because of his back injury. I'm expecting Evans and Vidic to be our defensive partnership. It'll be really important to see who covers in front of the back four. Carrick plays there, so does Fletcher and Anderson. Maybe two of the above will play.

I'm nervous about the tactics going into the game. When I saw the teamsheet for the game against Liverpool, I thought it would be very hard for us to get something from the game. If Carrick and Scholes play together in a four man midfield, then we'll be in big trouble. We need someone with legs.