NEurope

Celtic defender John Kennedy has had to retire aged 26 thanks to a horrific injury that happened 5 and a half years ago in an international friendly against Romania, at the time he had just broken into the first team and had helped shut out Barcelona at the Nou Camp (first time that season they failed to score). He's had a couple of comebacks and had some time on loan in England, but has now decided to retire.

It's sad to think that someone I saw making their debut aged 17 and is younger than me is retired thanks to a shocking "tackle" which happened after the whistle had already blown for an unrelated incident.

Real sad news, he was such a promising player. I'll never forget that tackle, was one of the worst i've seen.

****ing pointless international friendlies, we always get a serious injury from a pointless match. Could do with Van Persie for the Chelsea game at the end of the month...

****ing pointless international friendlies, we always get a serious injury from a pointless match. Could do with Van Persie for the Chelsea game at the end of the month...

The Van Persie news is a big blow. Although, I think it is important for the National teams to get that playing time together. What would be better I think is if there was a designated time where the team could work together without disrupting the league. Although, the implication of this is that if you do this at the end of the season, players will have played a full season of football and will likely be shattered by that. If you do it before the season, then...team's don't get a pre-season together, which means that they're not as fresh or as gelled as they could be.

So, the answer is...things will probably stay the same as they are now.:hmm:

It is annoying though when players pick up injuries after International Break, but it must be equally annoying for the National team managers and coaches when players pick up injuries for their clubs and then can't make it for International Duty. It works both ways I think.

Burley finally sacked. What are the Scottish opinions on that?

Personally I think he should have gone straight after the qualifying campaign finished. He's never gotten the best out of the team at any stage really. Not sure who should replace him though.

The clubs pay the wages though, and considering the number of club games compared to internationals, it's gotta be more of an issue for the club.

Maybe the injury will give Eduardo his chance to prove himself more..?

Burley finally sacked. What are the Scottish opinions on that?

Personally I think he should have gone straight after the qualifying campaign finished. He's never gotten the best out of the team at any stage really. Not sure who should replace him though.

I'm not Scottish, and I don't know the ins and outs of the Saga behind this, but the general reactions after the Wales game (with fans who rang into to Sky Sports, interviews and message boards) were that the fans just were not happy with the style of football being played. Isn't Walter Smith being tipped as the guy to replace him?

If Walter Smith gets the job again thats ridiculous. He left Scotland to go to Rangers, and now that its not going so well at Rangers, he wants to come back to Scotland again?

If Walter Smith gets the job again thats ridiculous. He left Scotland to go to Rangers, and now that its not going so well at Rangers, he wants to come back to Scotland again?

According to Sky Sports News this morning, he was something like 7/2 to take on the job. I did raise my eyebrows at that, and I don't neccessarily think it would be the right choice. But then again, who else would they want to bring in? And, I guess he does have experience, which may be what they need. Maybe.

Just nicked this off some lad's post on the 606 forums:

Heres the odds according to Willy Hill, for next manager.

Craig Levein 4/1

Walter Smith 5/1

Jim Jeffries 5/1

Gary McAllister 6/1

Graeme Souness 7/1

Owen Coyle 7/1

Billy Davies 8/1

Joe Jordan 10/1

Darren Ferguson 10/1

Mark McGhee 12/1

Kenny Dalglish 12/1

Ally McCoist 14/1

Gordon Strachan 14/1

John Collins 14/1

Gerard Houllier 14/1

Jimmy Calderwood 16/1

Dan Petrescu 16/1

David Moyes 20/1

Alan Irvine 20/1

Csaba Laszlo 20/1

Bora Milutinovic 20/1

Leo Beenhakker 20/1

Philippe Troussier 20/1

Slaven Bilic 20/1

Steve Clarke 20/1

Alex McLeish 25/1

George Graham 25/1

John Hughes 25/1

Alan Curbishley 25/1

Frank de Boer 25/1

Roy Hodgson 25/1

Colin Calderwood 33/1

Dick Advocaat 33/1

Derek McInnes 33/1

Bruce Rioch 33/1

Lawrie Sanchez 33/1

Roger Lemerre 33/1

Steve Nicol 33/1

Alex Ferguson 50/1

So, he was 7/2 this morning (second favourite I think) to take on the post. So, he's still second/joint second. Hmm.

Edited by Fierce_LiNk

The clubs pay the wages though, and considering the number of club games compared to internationals, it's gotta be more of an issue for the club.

Maybe the injury will give Eduardo his chance to prove himself more..?

Definitely a chance for Eduardo to step in, I don't think he has anything to prove though.

Wasn't there talk of him being unsettled at the lack of an upgraded contract?

I didn't really mean prove himself, rather just hold down a more regular place :)

I didn't really mean prove himself, rather just hold down a more regular place :)

Yeah, I'd agree with that. Starting a certain percentage of games is really different to holding down a regular place and taking charge. I think that's what has allowed Darren Fletcher to become more involved at United. Also, on the flip side, Nani has had a chance to hold down a regular place but hasn't done that. So, I think moments like these can be huge points in a player's career. If he can start the majority of games with Van Persie out and back it up with some good or great performances, it'll do him (any player for that matter) a world of good.

Paper talk, is paper talk. He's got 18 months still on his contract.. make of that what you will.

EDIT-

A day after posting and this:

Eduardo signs new long-term contract

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/eduardo-signs-new-long-term-contract

lol, Papers.

Edited by Ramar

Cheated out of it. Shocking by Henry, absolutely shocking. He was playing basketball in the box!

Please FIFA, bring in goal line technology!

Cheated out of it. Shocking by Henry, absolutely shocking. He was playing basketball in the box!

I didn't get a chance to see the game, but I followed text updates of it. Apparantly he handled the ball twice in the run up to the goal? Oh dear. When the game went to extra time, I honestly thought the Irish were going to go on and nick this one.

Feel really sorry for them and their travelling fans.

Me being pedantic hear, but I think you mean video technology, not goal line. Everyone saw it crossed the line, just the officials missed some mad french juggling.

Me being pedantic hear, but I think you mean video technology, not goal line. Everyone saw it crossed the line, just the officials missed some mad french juggling.

Yeah, sorry, that is what I meant.

I was bloody gutted last night, it looked like we were on course for a miracle green night

Henry handled it twice for sure, the first time might have been an accident but you can see him touch the ball a 2nd time to control it. (Was gonna post a YT vid but couldn't find a clear enough one, but Sky News were showing a nice clear replay where you can see it plain as day)

He also handled a few other times during the match also.

I've read reports he said he did tell the ref afterwards he handled it and the ref ignored him, if he did then fair play, but then how could the ref continue to allow a goal when the person who assisted it admits to have handled the ball. That is not right.

Still haven't found any interviews or statements from the ref.

Some people say it should be replayed, I didn't think that would be something that could happen, till I found out it has happened previously in qualifying for the 2006 World Cup in a play-off between Uzbekistan and Bahrain the ref made an error and the game was ordered to be replayed. That sets a precident which I hope the FAI follow up and lodge a protest with FIFA. If FIFA then ignore that it'll only show again how they like to favour the bigger teams over the underdogs.

To go out of the world cup to a goal like that is harsh, had it been a fair goal or if we lost on penaties then fair enough. But in the interest of Fair Play which FIFA supposidly takes seriously if there is to be no replay at the least the ref and/or Henry should be disciplined. If Henry lied about telling the ref he should be banned from playing in the World Cup and if he did tell the ref and the ref ignored him the ref should certainly not be allowed to officiate any matches in South Africa.

I reckon the extra time should be replayed, and Henry should be banned for the next 10 games. Honestly they should start looking at games afterwards, punish the team, the player and if its his fault the ref aswell. This is coming from a Liverpool fan who watched the horrid dive from Ngog.

I reckon the extra time should be replayed, and Henry should be banned for the next 10 games. Honestly they should start looking at games afterwards, punish the team, the player and if its his fault the ref aswell. This is coming from a Liverpool fan who watched the horrid dive from Ngog.

Thats ridiculous and you know it. If they are going to ban him it has to be for the offence of hand ball, which in this case would be a yellow card. So it's a fine job or a one match ban at most.

A 10 game ban is very over the top. But then, what sort of ban could anyone possibly hand out that would fit this crime? I think the closest thing is Franklin's suggestion that Henry is banned from the World Cup. Although, Fifa would never have the balls to go ahead with that one. Henry would just appeal (if it ever happened) and they would crumble.

As for the Bahrain/Uzbekistan replay, I think Ireland will be clinging to this and hoping that they can maybe force a replay. I don't think it'll happen though, I just really don't. In this day and age where Fifa and Uefa and Coronation Street are trying to encourage fans and players to give the referee less of a rough ride or less criticism, I can't imagine them coming out and admitting that the referee missed a big turning point and overuling the goal being given or the match replayed.

Nothing will be done. No fine nothing. A replay is out of the question purely on the fact that if any dodge decision is made in the future there will be a replay demanded.

One thing fifa need to do now is seriously look at bringing in a video ref. He could have been sitting in the dugout watching on tv and within 10 seconds said err ref, Henry handballed that.... Ref could have then hit up the yellow card and gave a freekick to Ireland. No disruption to the game, but the right decision reached.

He is a fool, such a great player who is now going to be remembered as le cheat.

So much for fifa fair play...People will continue to cheat cos they know they can get away with it. Even Henrys comment after of "yeah it was handball but im not ref" is suggesting it's ok to cheat to take the advantage if the ref can't see it as you'll get away it. That is not the way football should played.

Nothing will be done. No fine nothing. A replay is out of the question purely on the fact that if any dodge decision is made in the future there will be a replay demanded.

One thing fifa need to do now is seriously look at bringing in a video ref. He could have been sitting in the dugout watching on tv and within 10 seconds said err ref, Henry handballed that.... Ref could have then hit up the yellow card and gave a freekick to Ireland. No disruption to the game, but the right decision reached.

He is a fool, such a great player who is now going to be remembered as le cheat.

So much for fifa fair play...People will continue to cheat cos they know they can get away with it. Even Henrys comment after of "yeah it was handball but im not ref" is suggesting it's ok to cheat to take the advantage if the ref can't see it as you'll get away it. That is not the way football should played.

It's funny that Platini's suggestion of having referees behind the goal would probably have prevented the goal from standing. But, it makes you wonder what on Earth has to happen before video technology is introduced.

I know it's bad but ''The Hand of Frog'' did make me chuckle as a headline.

(I saw the paper on the news, I don't read tosh, promise).

In all seriousness, he's embarrassed himself and his country. He's tarnished their World Cup campaign and played a part in ruining Ireland's.