NEurope

It's nothing to do with their personality. It's about the person who has achieved the most that year, as voted for by the public. How can you vote on who has the best 'personality'? Surely that could go to absolutely anyone, including you and me, for having a great sporting personality.

The word 'personality' refers to the fact the award is for a single person and not a team.

Ryan Giggs, if up for award, should've been up for the lifetime achievement award. He hasn't achieved anything spectacular this year. A handful of appearances and goals for Man Utd.

Jenson Button won the F1 World Driver's Championship. F1 driving isn't just driving 2 days every second weekend. There's a lot more to it than that.

There are by far more people deserved of the award than Ryan Giggs; Button, Jennifer Ennis, Beth Tweddle or even Tom Daley who are the age of 15 became the world champion at the 10m diving.

Hence why they were up for the award, I'm just taking it from what the beeb say. They say regardless of achievement the awards goes to those "Voted for by the public live during the TV show, this prestigious award will be given to the sportsman or woman whose actions have most captured the public's imagination in 2009."

Reference.

Alas a huge portion of the public were watching the X Factor Final that night.

Is the winner decided in a similar fashion to the X-Factor. I mean, do you have to phone in to win, and then the winner is the one with the most votes? Did anyone here actually vote? If so, then it's a bit...daft to argue about the result of a public poll if you didn't vote.

Ryan was nominated for a reason. If he really didn't deserve to win the award, then he wouldn't have been nominated for it in the first place. Why nominate someone if they have no chance of winning eet? Like I mentioned earlier, there were some great candidates and everyone was in with a shout. Ryan himself was shocked, but delighted that he won. It's not the most important award in the world anyway, so why get annoyed about eet? These people are all champions, or at the very least, they are regards as top sportspeople. The highest in their profession. It could have gone to anyone.

As for tonight, fuck yes. We're playing 4-4-2 again. With Berbatov up front and Obertan playing on the left. Our weakness could be the lack of energy in centre midfield. Scholes and Gibson aren't the most mobile, and I can definitely see Anderson or Fletcher coming on later if things don't work out. De Laet playing right back, and Carrick at centre back again. He doesn't actually look that out of place there, although he should have had a penalty given against him in that Champions League match against Wolfsburg.

Is the winner decided in a similar fashion to the X-Factor. I mean, do you have to phone in to win, and then the winner is the one with the most votes? Did anyone here actually vote? If so, then it's a bit...daft to argue about the result of a public poll if you didn't vote.

A woman I work with voted rang in and voted for Giggs. She was over the moon he won it, lol.

Strange game tonight at Old Trafford. Wolves have put out well basically their second string. Hmmm after beating Spurs you think they would want to come to OT and try do the same or at least get a point. Strange decision my Mick. But good for United fans as we get an easy 3 points...

Strange game tonight at Old Trafford. Wolves have put out well basically their second string. Hmmm after beating Spurs you think they would want to come to OT and try do the same or at least get a point. Strange decision my Mick. But good for United fans as we get an easy 3 points...

You can almost understand the method in Mick McCarthy's madness, he doesn't expect a result so rest the team for a big match against Burnley at the weekend. But it's sheer madness to begin with because Man Utd's defence is shot to pieces so they could have got something from the game.. crazy.

ok so maybe I worded it wrong, it was a bigger achievement compared to the other competitors, Button only won the F1 title thanks to having a vastly superior car for the first 5/6 races so that's why I don't class his achievement as highly

The 'greatest' driver of all time won most of his 7 titles by having a far far better car than anyone else thats F1. If Ryan Giggs was at Newcastle would he be getting this award or is it due to the fact he had a vastly superior team around him? Only diference he had that advantage for the season not for a third of the season.

Yes, it's exactly the same. Only Button didn't do it at the age of 36 at the end of his career and did do it with a massive advantage at the start of the season. Regardless this award is not about achievement, it's about personality.

If its about personality the he deffinatly shoudnt have won it. I dont doubt hes a nice guy and everything. But I dont even know what his personality is like after watchig him for the last 15 years or so. Hes kind of a grey man if you ask me.

As above for the advantage.

If its about personality the he deffinatly shoudnt have won it. I dont doubt hes a nice guy and everything. But I dont even know what his personality is like after watchig him for the last 15 years or so. Hes kind of a grey man if you ask me.

As above for the advantage.

Meh.. kind of tired of discussing it now. It's on the agree to disagree pile.

Tonight's games wasn't too bad, many areas where improvements could be made but a solid win so not much to complain about. Again Berbatov seemed lost at times, a nice piece of skill (or luck?) for the final goal. Rooney seemed disappointed by his substitution. He didn't have the greatest of games, got a goal but his tracking back and ball winning was his particular highlight. Carrick again seemed to grow in confidence at CB and Valencia again showed improvements. Not too sure about Oberton yet but I can see promise, I think the lad just needs to bulk up a bit, seems too lightweight for the EPL. My man of the match has to go to Evra with special mentions to Vidic. Again rocks in defence and some of Evra's runs were dazzling. I hope for some further improvements as this kind of performance was good against smaller clubs but would not hold out against the top teams, not to take away from the result mind.

Here's hoping that Wolves do the same thing at Anfield on boxing day... and more importantly that Liverpool can get three points out of them.

You can almost understand the method in Mick McCarthy's madness, he doesn't expect a result so rest the team for a big match against Burnley at the weekend. But it's sheer madness to begin with because Man Utd's defence is shot to pieces so they could have got something from the game.. crazy.

It's a bit of a shame for Wolves, because there were a few occassions where they got the ball into some great spaces. Had they had some of their regular players on the ball in those situations, they might have put one in the back of the net.

The game itself was ok, I thought there were some great bits of play, but I don't think we ever needed to get into that second gear. Rooney's got another goal, which is great, and it's lovely to see Valencia getting another one. He's got 4 in the league now, and 2 in europe (according to the stats on the Champions League Website. I know one goal is debateable.)

Although it's great that Rooney is scoring these goals, I still don't think his overall play this season has been as good as it has in previous seasons. He was pretty good tonight, but there's just something missing I think.

Edit: Look at Villa and Birmingham storming up the table. Can we expect a video by The Villan where he punches the walls, has his lips covered in milk and crying if Villa fail to make the top four at the end of the season? :heh:

Edited by Fierce_LiNk

Wonder goal from James Milner again and another fantastic performance from our back four. Richard Dunne and Stephen Warnock are immense and Carlos Cueller looks our most improved player on last season, we look completely unbeatable at the back.

If Spurs draw with Man City tomorrow then we'll be 4 points clear of 5th having played the same games and 5 points ahead of City who have a game in hand. If Arsenal lose at Burnley tomorrow then we'll have a great opportunity to open up a gap on them on the 27th.

But before I get carried away with predictions, we've got a game against Stoke to deal with on Saturday and although i'm confident of a win, you never know with the Premier League and you never know what that crazy naturist from the Britannia Stadium is going to pull out of the tactical bag. I wouldn't put it past him to do something with his underwear.

Wonder goal from James Milner again and another fantastic performance from our back four. Richard Dunne and Stephen Warnock are immense and Carlos Cueller looks our most improved player on last season, we look completely unbeatable at the back.

If Spurs draw with Man City tomorrow then we'll be 4 points clear of 5th having played the same games and 5 points ahead of City who have a game in hand. If Arsenal lose at Burnley tomorrow then we'll have a great opportunity to open up a gap on them on the 27th.

But before I get carried away with predictions, we've got a game against Stoke to deal with on Saturday and although i'm confident of a win, you never know with the Premier League and you never know what that crazy naturist from the Britannia Stadium is going to pull out of the tactical bag. I wouldn't put it past him to do something with his underwear.

Well done with the victory on Saturday, too.

How many has Milner scored this season now? He must have scored about 4 in the last month or something? Hasn't Heskey got 3 in 6?

If I was going to make a team of the season so far, Richard Dunne would be in it. My Man of the Match on Saturday. Bastard.

Burnley should have beat us, we were shite. They also had a goal disallowed which on my first impression was ok, I need to see a lag free replay for my final decision. Shocking performance, and with Chelsea winning it wastes the weekends performance gaining points on them.

Burnley should have beat us, we were shite. They also had a goal disallowed which on my first impression was ok, I need to see a lag free replay for my final decision. Shocking performance, and with Chelsea winning it wastes the weekends performance gaining points on them.
No self respecting Arsenal fan would disagree with you. We were lucky for that 1 point.

I was hoping for Pompey to get a point against Chelsea. But then, they go and give away a penalty. Damn you, Flameboyyy.

Also, Burnley are a great team at home. I was shocked when they beat us there, even more shocked when they beat Everton there a week later. God, if only their away form was even anywhere near their home form, who knows.

Things look good for Birmingham at the moment though. In an Europa league spot right now which shows how close it is.

Things look good for Birmingham at the moment though. In an Europa league spot right now which shows how close it is.

It's tight at the moment, but it's still pretty early on, I think. In the first half of last season, Villa were in the same position they were now, in the top 4. Injuries get picked up at some point, your form falters, your team is tired from already playing a big number of games and I think mentally you become tired, too. The injuries play a huge part...just look at Everton this season.

The top 7 are so close, any of them can beat any of the others.

If a team were to break into the top 4, it would be Villa imo.

The top 7 are so close, any of them can beat any of the others.

If a team were to break into the top 4, it would be Villa imo.

They were the team that looked like they could do eet last season, too. Spurs have also been flirting with that fourth spot.

I might be wrong, but so far I think both Villa and Spurs have had little to no trouble with injuries, as of yet. They've got that early momentum, and with Liverpool showing their weaknesses, it really is up for grabs. I just don't know if either team has the squad to make it, though.

Champions League football would be tough on both of these teams, imo. Not just that, but the congested schedule. We already saw at the start of this season where Fulham struggled to find momentum in the league due to having a hectic schedule. Both Villa and Spurs have great players, but they'd have to add to that squad I think, it needs more depth there in the event of players picking up injuries or being knackered from games. If football was strictly just about the starting 11 and form, then it would be much easier on both of them. But, it's about the squad now, I think.

AC Milan (ITA) v Manchester United FC (ENG): 16 February/10 March

Olympique Lyonnais (FRA) v Real Madrid CF (ESP): 16 February/10 March

FC Bayern München (GER) v ACF Fiorentina (ITA): 17 February/9 March

FC Porto (POR) v Arsenal FC (ENG): 17 February/9 March

Olympiacos FC (GRE) v FC Girondins de Bordeaux (FRA): 23 February/17 March

VfB Stuttgart (GER) v FC Barcelona (ESP): 23 February/17 March

FC Internazionale Milano (ITA) v Chelsea FC (ENG): 24 February/16 March

PFC CSKA Moskva (RUS) v Sevilla FC (ESP): 24 February/16 March

so Beckham back to Manchester and Jose to London :)

so Beckham back to Manchester and Jose to London :)

And Ramar to the Stadio Do Dragao (fingers crossed).

First and foremost the snow better piss off before tomorrow, or at least not interrupt the trains. I'm looking forward to tomorrows game, just got to get my Christmas hat.

Edit - Just stumbled across this.

2iwaz9c.jpg

Edited by Ramar

Not a good day.

We need a defence back. Shocking.

In other news there is a press conference at Man City tonight. Apparently Hughes is getting the sack and Mancini is coming in. I know City have drawn a lot but they have only lost 2 games.... seems stupid not to give him the rest of the season to see how they do then make changes if need be. Not sure anyone else could have done much better.

Man City are awful at the back. A really good attacking team though.

If the board sack Hughes it will continue to make a mockery of the club though. They have the makings of a very, very good side.

Ref was appalling today though - a red card for a tangled arm across a player's cheek when jumping for a header?! Shocker. 3 match ban for Turner who did nothing wrong all game. Throw in a dubious penalty and yet again I'm pretty sick of how replay's aren't used by the FA. Especially when the Linesman can't keep up with Bellamy for an earlier offside goal amongst other clear offside moments from both teams.

Note: Sour grapes may be involved on some level but from all my mates who watch the league we all comment how Football should take a leaf out of Rugby's book for dubious moments. I'm sure half of Ireland may feel the same...

Simple answer to the video replay debate: No thank you.

I can't wait for match of the day tonight, I want to see what the ref saw for the penalty he gave Hull. I was right behind the goal and saw nothing, seemed like a shocking decision at the time. Hopefully West Ham get a result tomorrow and its happy days.

Was a ridiculous decision Ramar, good job for you Geovanni fucked it up so royallly.

A good, hard fought win for us today, though I agree with Pulis that Stoke's goal should have stood, though I'm not sure if it was genuine malice from Warnock or if he just tripped. Great to see Carew score at the Holte End again and loved his antics with the corner flag.

Can't wait until the game at the Emirates next week, it promises to be a hell of a game and you guys will surely be out for revenge after we slaughtered you 2 - 0 last time out.

And Liverpool and Man Utd losing again? Brilliant. The Premiership just keeps getting better every year.