NEurope

Liverpool have scored early in extra time, all English final?

EDIT: Athletico have their away goal, what a game.

Edited by Emerald Emblem

Disappointment. Total Despair. But a fitting end to the day..

EDIT I'd also like to point out how unfair it is for away goals scored in extra time to count.. how can it be fair that we had 90 minutes in Madrid to get one, but they had 120 minutes at Anfield to grab one?

Edited by nekunando

I don't understand the whole away-goals-only-count-in-extra-time shite.

They put everything into the match, and i feel we were unlucky to not go through. I was delighted that Aquaman got the first, i think he'll be amazing next season, he links up with Stevie G really well, and he links up with Torres very well. I reckon that trio will be quality next season. Babel gave everything, but lacked quality, same with Kuyt. Lucas and Aquilani were amazing, Gerrard was kinda in and out of the game. Great finish from Yossi, even though the keeper should of saved it really. He's an excellent player, and is really underrated.

I suppose all is left to do this season is pursue our very slim chances of getting 4th, and if that fails, all we can do is secure 7th.

I don't understand the whole away-goals-only-count-in-extra-time shite.

I'm not really too sure on this either. From what I understand (and I may be wrong, please correct if so) it went something like this.

*Start of First Game*

[Aggregate] Atlético Madrid 1 - 0 Liverpool (Atlético Madrid hold one "home" goal.)

*End of 90 mins First Game*

*Start of Second Game*

[Aggregate] Liverpool 1 - 1 Atlético Madrid (Draw, both teams hold one "home" goal.)

*Start of 90 mins Second Game*

*Start of Extra-Time Second Game*

[Aggregate] Liverpool 2 - 1 Atlético Madrid (Liverpool lead holding two "home" goals to Atlético Madrid's one.)

[Aggregate] Liverpool 2 - 2 Atlético Madrid (Atlético Madrid lead holding one "home" goal and one "away" goal while Liverpool hold two "home" goals.)

*End of 120 mins Second Game*

It would have been the same even if the two goals scored in extra time were scored in the standard 90 minutes right?

I'm not really too sure on this either. From what I understand (and I may be wrong, please correct if so) it went something like this.

*Start of First Game*

[Aggregate] Atlético Madrid 1 - 0 Liverpool (Atlético Madrid hold one "home" goal.)

*End of 90 mins First Game*

*Start of Second Game*

[Aggregate] Liverpool 1 - 1 Atlético Madrid (Draw, both teams hold one "home" goal.)

*Start of 90 mins Second Game*

*Start of Extra-Time Second Game*

[Aggregate] Liverpool 2 - 1 Atlético Madrid (Liverpool lead holding two "home" goals to Atlético Madrid's one.)

[Aggregate] Liverpool 2 - 2 Atlético Madrid (Atlético Madrid lead holding one "home" goal and one "away" goal while Liverpool hold two "home" goals.)

*End of 120 mins Second Game*

It would have been the same even if the two goals scored in extra time were scored in the standard 90 minutes right?

The point is, I feel that after the 90 minutes were up, away goals should no longer count as it is an unfair advantage to the away team. As I explained, we only had 90 minutes to get an away goal and they had 120. It has always bothered me :hmm:

EDIT I'd also like to say that I realise that if away goals in extra time didn't count, it would given an ever so slight advantage to the home team since they have an extra 30 minutes at home.. ideally you would play 15 minutes of extra time at home and 15 minutes away.. but that just isn't possible!

I love the away goal rule, don't get me wrong. It brings an extra level of excitement to the cup competitions.. but I'm just pointing out that it's not perfect..

Edited by nekunando

Well played to Woy and his boys. Well deserved cup run, hope they can do themselves and their manager proud in the final. Got a lot of time for Woy Hodgson.

Another disappointing result in a very disappointing Liverpool season. :blank:

Great stuff from Fulham. As far as I understand, if the Germans had beaten them then the Bundesliga would have four Champions League spots from 2011/ 2012 and Serie A would be down to three. So its a relief for Serie A that they will be keeping their four spots... thanks to Fulham as well as Inters current Champions League run!

Well done to Fulham! Was so pleased that they went through and Liverpool went out! Couldn't have hoped for a better set of results, especially Liverpool losing on away goals during extra time.

Going out on away goals is harsh, and it is a bit unfair with how it works in extra time. I think that in extra time, the game should be tied in every way. So, away goals don't count. Which means that the game last night would've went to penalties. Although, then you could argue that Liverpool had the crowd on their side, whereas Athletico only had a small portion of fans, so the ground "isn't neutral."

I'm really pleased for Fulham, though. Great for them and their fans to see them doing so well. I hope they win it.

Teams know before the game even kicks of what they need to do and how the away goals works, Liverpool had just as much of an opportunity to score and away goal in Madrid. They didn't, Madrid mananged one in Liverpool, I'm struggling to see why people think it's unfair.

It's all luck of the draw though, it's like complaining that an FA cup tie is at the opponents ground for 90 minutes....

The only way to make it completely fair is to go straight to penalties, but then you'll have people saying "oh but the penalty shoot out is at their stadium in front of their fans..."

Another disappointing result in a very disappointing Liverpool season. :blank:

Great stuff from Fulham. As far as I understand, if the Germans had beaten them then the Bundesliga would have four Champions League spots from 2011/ 2012 and Serie A would be down to three. So its a relief for Serie A that they will be keeping their four spots... thanks to Fulham as well as Inters current Champions League run!

I think if Bayern win the CL Germany will still get 4 spots

I think if Bayern win the CL Germany will still get 4 spots

Incidentally, Lyon's failing to reach the CL final means the SPL champions Rangers do not need to qualify for next season's competition.

It's all luck of the draw though, it's like complaining that an FA cup tie is at the opponents ground for 90 minutes....

The only way to make it completely fair is to go straight to penalties, but then you'll have people saying "oh but the penalty shoot out is at their stadium in front of their fans..."

Penalties is a shit way to decide any tie.

I don't mind penalties, because there's players who are crap at taking them, and others who are class. I don't think there's as much luck involved as others think. Don't get me wrong i'd rather see matches won in normal play, but i'm not too critical of them.

Incidentally, Lyon's failing to reach the CL final means the SPL champions Rangers do not need to qualify for next season's competition.

If Fulham win Europa League then Burnley qualify for the Europa League under the fairplay league-thing.

If Fulham win Europa League then Burnley qualify for the Europa League under the fairplay league-thing.

There could be a silver lining for Burnley after all.

There could be a silver lining for Burnley after all.

Not really, they'll get knocked out in the first qualifying round. :hmm:

Not really, they'll get knocked out in the first qualifying round. :hmm:

Maybe so, but I'm sure Burnley fans won't mind that. Heck, like you are probably saying, they have no right to be there Football ability wise.

They would then face a qualifying match 10 days before the world cup final, hardly worth packing up for the season.