NEurope
Retro_Link

Wii Sports Resort

I think its about timing and about the way you hit it. If you put topspin on a forehand (and you're right handed) it spins hugely off to the left, and vice versa. I've tried to hit it early a lot to get a tight angle, but I think there are several factors contributing to where it goes.

Spent some time in multiplayer with Lyndsey earlier, was pretty good fun - didn't do anything competetive, just golf archery and a skydive. I think it's much better sharing the experience with others than playing this on your own, but need to spend more time doing both before I decide for sure I think.

I've been playing table tennis lots, and I'm falling in love with it, it feels perfect how much control you can have on the ball (spin and slice) but my 99% has gone up to a clean 100% certain that direction is all timing; you simply cannot direct the ball on the table other than WHEN you hit it... People who think otherwise please hit the ball early and try and make it go to the right!! You can't!! (reverse this for lefties!)

Then again I found Grand Slam Tennis to be totally timing based myself anyway..

Not with motion plus it isn't! I can hit that ball early or late and it will go where I direct it.....most of the time...

Maybe I'm insane!!!

Awesome that you're enjoying it.

What do you mean about not being able to direct it when you hit it though?

I know that if I hit it gently it goes forward, and if I follow the swing through to the right it goes right etc... and then add spin and slice for extra direction.

Picked this up today with an extra WM+ loving it, the first play of the sword fighting was awesome, and love the basketball 3-pointers, the wife is mad into the frisbee and the bowling and golf are great and a little more challenging, still managed a turkey on my 4th round of bowling though, yay

Awesome that you're enjoying it.

What do you mean about not being able to direct it when you hit it though?

I know that if I hit it gently it goes forward, and if I follow the swing through to the right it goes right etc... and then add spin and slice for extra direction.

Really? I just don't feel it, I just can't direct it, I hit it early to go right and late to go left; that's the ONLY way I can direct it (other than the effects of top spin and slice).

But REALLY loving it now, the game is absolutely incredible. Table tennis I mean (and the game in general); I just want every game to use motionplus now, it's borderline perfect!!

I just want every game to use motionplus now, it's borderline perfect!!
Yeah, if M+ doesn't get the support it deserves it'll be a real shame. We've seen the potential with the EA titles and now even more so with WSR, but just imagine it in a substantial, non-sports related game... I think I'll definitely be saying "Wow!" all over again. :grin:

It's just unfortunate that we're going to have a pretty long wait for those games to appear. :sad:

Really? I just don't feel it, I just can't direct it, I hit it early to go right and late to go left; that's the ONLY way I can direct it (other than the effects of top spin and slice).
Seriously what?... you don't swing right to go right and left to go left?

Hitting it early is to send it further the way you're swinging and I hit it late to arc it back.

Edited by Retro_Link

Cannot for the life of me beat the table tennis champ! Every return is perfect!!

1 info point left to find!

Is there one well hidden?

Not really, though a couple only appear when you're almost right on top of them (unlike the canoeist for example, who's 'i' appear pretty early).

If I was giving a tip, I'd say check around the back of the islands, and try following the island paths closely.

Seriously what?... you don't swing right to go right and left to go left?

Hitting it early is to send it further the way you're swinging and I hit it late to arc it back.

Nope. Makes no difference (I think I do the action only because I get into it; but I can't actually direct the ball from how I position myself and swing; it's all timing with me...

Can someone else join this little discussion about Table tennis direction because I want to know if it's just me.... Try it retro, try hitting it at different times and still directing the ball.

Nope. Makes no difference (I think I do the action only because I get into it; but I can't actually direct the ball from how I position myself and swing; it's all timing with me...

Can someone else join this little discussion about Table tennis direction because I want to know if it's just me.... Try it retro, try hitting it at different times and still directing the ball.

It's a mixture of timing and 1:1 IMO. ::shrug:

Cannot for the life of me beat the table tennis champ! Every return is perfect!!

Same here! The best I've done is lose 6-2, I just can't stop her getting an amazing angle or a run of smashes that inevitibly ends in me losing.

I just got this and I have to say I am amazed. Smiling after each event. Except cycling.

On the table tennis discussion. It seems timing based to me. But I haven't really got the hang of spin yet.

Had a proper multiplayer experience with this today and I must say it was outstanding. Playing with my girlfriend's twelve year old brother was excellent, and we actually really enjoyed cycling and canoing loads, the two events that I haven't particularly enjoyed in single player. The other sports were all pretty good too, but of course as he was playing for the first time I was basically a bit too good at them due to practice. I think if I was up against a skilled/more practiced opponent some of the other games would be an absolute blast. Really good fun.

Oh, the dogfighting was especially good once he got the hang of the controls, had some great midair passes and chases.

I don't get the hate for cycling at all! I really don't. It's got some strategy elements and some skill and you get to go around Wuhu Island which looks fantastic. The controls may not be innovative but the minigame itself doesn't particularly lack. Unlike Wakeboarding which is appallingly shallow.

You don't even have to turn, the bike follows the road. Also the pedalling wouldn't work properly and it would jitter. I could only really sprint or not pedal. And the turning is really weird and difficult.

I don't get the hate for cycling at all! I really don't. It's got some strategy elements and some skill and you get to go around Wuhu Island which looks fantastic. The controls may not be innovative but the minigame itself doesn't particularly lack. Unlike Wakeboarding which is appallingly shallow.

I mentioned this in my review. It really doesn't feel like they put the effort in at all, though I appreciated that they showed off the wonders of Wuhu Island from a perspective other than the air.

And I liked Wakeboarding. :heh: It definitely has much more replay value than cycling, even if the trick system is waggly.

If you do try to turn/steer in cycling though I found it pretty aweful; and I only gave it one go because of it... might go back to it sometime.

I cracked under the hunormous pressure and bought it:laughing:

I expect to be very tired after every gaming session.....

EDIT: Still a bit sceptical, but it's hard I'll give 'em that.

Edited by Fused King

Anywhere selling WM+ cheap?

I got Wii Sports Resort for £37 & a extra WM+ for £17. That's Asda price but i got a price match from my local Gamestation.