NEurope
Retro_Link

Wii Sports Resort

Spent a couple of hours on 100-pin bowling tonight, on a total losing streak, just restarting and restarting... I think I got a bit addicted! Still haven't completely got the hang of getting the ball to stop veering off to the right, that's the problem..

I've found you stand quite a good chance of knocking down all 100 pins by standing as far right as you can go and aiming just right of the centre pin.

I was in a bowling league for two years, and it is very realistic. I find that my bowling style (which my friend described as "reverse-lefty" due to the way I flicked my wrist) actually shows through in the game.

It was awesome, the first game of 100 pin I played, on frame 5 I thought "Fuck it, I'll go for the rebound stamp thing", and got it FIRST TIME. This was after not getting a single strike trying to play properly. I was chuffed :D

Had another go at bowling this morning and seemed to have got the knack of it more - I found that if I spin it hard to the left, it usually ends up where I'm aiming for. In fact, I was pretty pleased to bowl a game where only two pins weren't knocked down over the ten rounds! And I'm now pro status too. :)

Edge review 6/10

"Sports Resort is controlling, and even solemn, about just how much fun you should be having with it. And that's a development that should chill every Wii owner to the bone."

Edge review 6/10

"Sports Resort is controlling, and even solemn, about just how much fun you should be having with it. And that's a development that should chill every Wii owner to the bone."

Haha they make it sound like some sort of unethical experiment into cloning or something. Chilling Wii owners to the bone? By the sounds of people on this thread I would say that this is completely wrong. Everyone seems to be loving it!

On another note - I will hopefully be getting this today. Thanks Stuwii for the heads-up about Zelda trade!

I think they're saying we should be shocked that a game on the Wii is actually offering fun :heh:

Chill us to the bone? Really? It's a sorry day for games journalism when someone gets paid to write stuff like that.

Spent probably over 1hr last night on the table tennis '100 returns without hitting the server in the face' stamp, and didn't manage it!... SO frustrating!!... the number of times I would get into the 90's only to have a return smack his stupid face!!... argh!!

It's a sorry day for games journalism when someone gets paid to write stuff like that.
Certainly is.

It's also a wonder why Edge continue to review Nintendo games, they obviously don't get it. :blank:

Why must they continually embarrass themselves? :heh:

I mean, it's not a difficult concept to understand is it? You know... Fun? :laughing:

Man, I'd love to have been a fly on the wall in their offices while they played the game, I'm willing to bet the reactions were considerably different to those portrayed in the "review" and that score. :indeed:

Spent probably over 1hr last night on the table tennis '100 returns without hitting the server in the face' stamp, and didn't manage it!... SO frustrating!!... the number of times I would get into the 90's only to have a return smack his stupid face!!... argh!!
Hehehe! :hehe:

Table Tennis is quickly becoming my favourite event, such a great laugh. And so simple yet so much depth, like when the ball slightly clips the top of the net, or the very corner of the table and causes the point to change in an instant. The variation of play possible with spin and mixing up your timing is just sooooo good. :love:

Table tennis: I like it... but am I the only one disappointed that you can't direct your shots like in GST?!?! It's all timing based....

The loading screens in GST even say that it's partly based on timing, so I don't agree with you there.

Personally I feel I have more control in Table Tennis. Swing hard left it goes hard left, swing slightly right it goes slightly right, give it topspin or backspin to shoot it wide or curl it back etc...

There is a timing aspect to it in the sense that if you hit it very early you can send it even further wide, or leave it late and you have more chance of keeping it in, but that's it! It judges power and positioning absolutely perfect for me, which is why I'm able to have rally's that extend into the hundreds, and accurately hit cans.

I think it's near perfect and love it!

Edited by Retro_Link

Edge review 6/10

Just as well that no one takes what Edge say without an almost lethal amount of salt then. :)

Edited by S.C.G

The loading screens in GST even say that it's partly based on timing, so I don't agree with you there.

I thought this at first but actually this isn't the case. There are two different loading screens about controls in GST, one of them is the MotionPlus screen that tells you about the followthrough being the way to direct the shots, and it says motionplus at the top, and has a remote with motionplus attached on the graphic.

The other is the standard, non-motionplus controls, and although it doesn't specify in the title of the screen, you can see that the controller that is shown does not have the motionplus attached to it. Basically the control method that is all about timing is the one that doesn't use motionplus, ie without M+ the game controls in a similar way to Wii Sports. With M+, it's all about the followthrough and the angle of your body.

I can see very well why you thought it though, it really isn't clear and kinda looks like the remote has M+ attached but it's squashed up, or something like that. I had to look closely to see it.

just got this game this morning, had a quick blast on the swordplay, table tennis and frisbee.......pretty good fun so far althyough I need to get another motion plus I think to get the most out of it.

Had a good blast at this yesterday, played most of the games a few times. Really enjoying archery and table tennis at the moment, Cycling isn't as bad as I thought it would be but I'm not a fan of canoeing. Golf if pretty awesome too, you can really tell the difference that M+ makes. Frisbee golf is pretty cool too, although I currently suck at throwing frisbees.

I'm not really getting the feeling I did with Wii Sports the first time, but I've borrowed my girlfriend's brother's motionplus for while so hopefully will be able to try out multiplayer at some point.

Actually, a 6/10 is not too shabby for Edge. The standard is just quite different when compared to the likes of ONM or even worse: Nintendo Power. 7 is the norm for OK-games. With Edge and GamesTM, it's a 5.

True, even by Edges standards, A 6 is lower than I'd like to see, but it's better than everage. Was't it Edge that gave MP3:C a 7?

Still, why they gave Halo 3 a perfect 10 is still beyond me...

Actually, a 6/10 is not too shabby for Edge. The standard is just quite different when compared to the likes of ONM or even worse: Nintendo Power. 7 is the norm for OK-games. With Edge and GamesTM, it's a 5.

True, even by Edges standards, A 6 is lower than I'd like to see, but it's better than everage. Was't it Edge that gave MP3:C a 7?

Still, why they gave Halo 3 a perfect 10 is still beyond me...

It's easy to tell why

Microsoft give Edge big bags of cash. 10/10

Nintendo don't give them big bags of cash. 6/10

I thought this at first but actually this isn't the case. There are two different loading screens about controls in GST, one of them is the MotionPlus screen that tells you about the followthrough being the way to direct the shots, and it says motionplus at the top, and has a remote with motionplus attached on the graphic.

The other is the standard, non-motionplus controls, and although it doesn't specify in the title of the screen, you can see that the controller that is shown does not have the motionplus attached to it. Basically the control method that is all about timing is the one that doesn't use motionplus, ie without M+ the game controls in a similar way to Wii Sports. With M+, it's all about the followthrough and the angle of your body.

I can see very well why you thought it though, it really isn't clear and kinda looks like the remote has M+ attached but it's squashed up, or something like that. I had to look closely to see it.

Yeah exactly; GST tennis goes where I AIM it!

I really don't get any sense of direction playing Table tennis in this game, I couldn't hook my arm anymore to the left and it goes straight ahead...it's ALL timing as far as I'm aware. It's fun and I love the control of the top spin and slice, but feels a touch lacking after GST.

Yeah exactly; GST tennis goes where I AIM it!

I really don't get any sense of direction playing Table tennis in this game, I couldn't hook my arm anymore to the left and it goes straight ahead...it's ALL timing as far as I'm aware. It's fun and I love the control of the top spin and slice, but feels a touch lacking after GST.

Well somehow you must be playing it wrong! ::shrug:

Really? You can aim where the ball goes, nothing to do with the timing? By hand placement? Then I must be doing something wrong...I hope you're right...

Got 63 balloons and 3 info points to find... I have looked everywhere..

Is there a hidden area that I'm missing?

Really? You can aim where the ball goes, nothing to do with the timing? By hand placement? Then I must be doing something wrong...I hope you're right...

Its actually both

I'm 99% certain your aim has NO bearing on placement! Just went on again and did so many experiments....