NEurope
My Buttons are Magic!

A Thread About Accents (And Not Sexuality)

I have a strong essex accent apparently. Get ridiculed all the time at Uni for it. I don't care! Highest teenage abortion rate in the country FOOK YEAH!

Anyway Domjcg might be able to tell you how bad it is..I personally don't believe I have an accent.

"Water" is my favourite essex word (having lived with an essex lass for the last two years). Its said so commonly :p

I'm not that bad Ashley! I've been brought up to pronunciate my letters :p although if you catch me at a bad time, little becomes litel.

I know everyone has an accent moogle >_> I'm just saying I've never recognised it with me and my friends back home, and I don't think mine is strong.

I have a strong essex accent apparently. Get ridiculed all the time at Uni for it. I don't care! Highest teenage abortion rate in the country FOOK YEAH!

I managed to avoid an Essex accent \o/ Literally nobody has been able to tell what part of England I am from just from my voice. Most people say Cambridgeshire/Home Counties.

I have a typical Londoner accent.

It feels good to be able to call myself a Londoner and not an, um, Kenter.

I know everyone has an accent moogle >_> I'm just saying I've never recognised it with me and my friends back home, and I don't think mine is strong.

I know you do. What I meant was quite a lot of people think that their accent is close to "normal" and not very strong. Especially round here. I still do.

I know you do. What I meant was quite a lot of people think that their accent is close to "normal" and not very strong. Especially round here. I still do.

This is too true - a few people I've known from England/Scotland have said their accent is non-existent. It's a load of bull tbh :heh: EVERYONE has an accent.

I used to think my Scottish accent was not massively strong. I moved to Ireland, then went back to Scotland on holiday a few years later. I could not grasp what anyone was saying :cry:

There's a big difference between having an unmarked accent, and having no accent at all. The first is perfectly possible, the second is as meaningless as not having an eye colour.

Haha, yay. I blame it on the fact I've got a southern accent too (Cambridge is amazing). Damn northerners up here tried to rid me off it, but somehow I've kept hold of it these past 9 years, which I love.

I've got a messed up accent since moving to the north. The southerners think I sound northern and the northerners think I sound southern. I can't win. I think it depends what mood I'm in, if I'm angry it usually comes out northern now :p

I agree Darksnowman has a cool accent.

There's a big difference between having an unmarked accent, and having no accent at all. The first is perfectly possible, the second is as meaningless as not having an eye colour.

That's what people don't understand/get confused. When most people say they have no accent they mean non-regional. But some people are just thick.

I've lived in Cornwall all my life but I don't normally tend to speak in a 'typical' Cornish accent most of the time but if say at work I'm talking to someone who does have a strong Cornish accent then I do find myself reverting to saying certain words just like how they are said with the aforementioned accent... >.>

It's not that I'm attempting to mock either the accent or the person just that I find my style of speaking changes slightly depending on who I'm talking to.

So I guess I do have a regional accent based on where I live but it's not always present, in fact oddly it has been remarked upon by one or two people at work that when I talk 'normally' I have an accent that sounds like it's from somewhere Northern O.o I put it down to my grandmother on my Dads side originally living up North or something. :heh:

Edited by S.C.G

I have a typical Londoner accent.

It feels good to be able to call myself a Londoner and not an, um, Kenter.

I'm in a similar boat! Didn't realise you were a kenter too. When I was little I never used to say I was from london cos my address said Kent and I didn't understand the thing about london boroughs, but when I say Kent everyone thinks I live in the country with sheepcows or something, silly people.

Accentwise, though I'm not sure where it came from, I seem to have acquired more of a saaf eest landan(jokes, not that bad) accent over the last 5 years or so, tis very strange that I gradually just got this weird london accent, cos it didn't come from my parents or anything.

I wish I knew what my accent is I just never had anyone comment on it, mostly because the only people I´ve spoken English to an extend are my teachers.

My accent is fairly obviously an East Midlands (Nottinghamshire) accent, however i have been told that it does have slight Yorkshire twangs to it. To be honest i don't really like it.

Perhaps it would be easier to record ourselves saying something?

Is it possible to not have an accent? Because I don't think I really have one. It's kind of boring and monotonous and not special in any way.

I have been brought up speaking "rigsdansk", which is Danish without any accent, but people from other areas of Denmark tell me that I do have a slight accent natural to the area of Denmark I come from, namely the south-western part of Jutland, an accent that becomes heavier when I talk fast and with passion.

When I speak English, I don't know if I have any particular accent. If I have, it's most likely some sort of fusion of American and British English as heard on TV.

It's weird, I never think of you guys having accents as whenever I read posts they're in my own accent in my head. So you all sound like me as far as I'm concerned, don't try and deny it.

It's all me, me, me.

What if you have no melonin in one eye, and therefore it is colourless?

But yes, I know what you mean. Its somewhat funny how many people misunderstand what is meant by the word "accent".

There's a guy I speak to regularly for work who has a subtle bristol accent and it sounds like a dream, I guess the fact that he's soopa doopa nice helps too.

What if you have no melonin in one eye, and therefore it is colourless?

But yes, I know what you mean. Its somewhat funny how many people misunderstand what is meant by the word "accent".

Then your eye is red, unless you also have no blood. This is why albinos have red eyes.

To make things more clear for people: Crystal's Dictionary of Linguistics and Phonetics defines accent as "the cumulative auditory effect of those features of pronunciation which identify where a person is from, regionally or socially," while Matthews' Oxford Concise Dictionary of Linguistics defines it as "a variety of speech differing phonetically from other varieties." Note that with either definition, there's no way you can't have an accent - even if your accent sounds nondescript to you, it will have specific features that are different to those of other accents, and so is an accent in itself.

Then your eye is red, unless you also have no blood. This is why albinos have red eyes.
What if you have byakugan? Ha, didn't consider that, didya? God, I am such a geek

On topic, I used to really like the Welsh accent on females, I think it was due to fancying my Year 7 English teacher.

... :/

To make things more clear for people: Crystal's Dictionary of Linguistics and Phonetics defines accent as "the cumulative auditory effect of those features of pronunciation which identify where a person is from, regionally or socially," while Matthews' Oxford Concise Dictionary of Linguistics defines it as "a variety of speech differing phonetically from other varieties." Note that with either definition, there's no way you can't have an accent - even if your accent sounds nondescript to you, it will have specific features that are different to those of other accents, and so is an accent in itself.

Usually it goes white/grey, due to the reflection from the collagen in the eye, occasionally appearing blue depending on the light absorbed. Red eyes are very rare, as far as I know.

I'm half Irish by blood, but I don't have any of the perks of being Irish. I don't have the accent (I really want it!), I can't hold my drink and I'm fairly certain I've never struck a woman/my wife.

On a serious, non stereotypical note, I really wish I had the accent.

Plus I'm sure my Irish Grandad was actually a bit violent towards my Nan. All I've heard is that she left him since he was "a nasty piece of work" and a boxer. I never knew him, I only found out that who I thought was my Grandad wasn't actually my Grandad in the past few years. Hooray for stereotypes!

What if you have byakugan? Ha, didn't consider that, didya? God, I am such a geek

Meaning, er, white eyes? White's still a colour... :p

Usually it goes white/grey, due to the reflection from the collagen in the eye, occasionally appearing blue depending on the light absorbed. Red eyes are very rare, as far as I know.

Well, I wasn't necessarily talking about humans - animals like rabbits and guinea pigs which we pure-breed albino lines of usually have red eyes. And some albino humans also have red eyes, although the greater amount of (colourless) pigment present usually means they come out as pale blue or white, simply because it blocks light passing through. Either way, the point stands as these are all actual colours of eyes. The only way your eyes can have no colour whatsoever is if you don't have eyes, the equivalent of not speaking, which of course makes the question of accent meaningless.

[/needless diversion to defend my analogy] :heh:

:p

Sorry, I just had to pick up on it when you said it :p I'm very proud of my grey eye!