NEurope
My Buttons are Magic!

A Thread About Accents (And Not Sexuality)

Meaning, er, white eyes? White's still a colour... :p

Well, I wasn't necessarily talking about humans - animals like rabbits and guinea pigs which we pure-breed albino lines of usually have red eyes. And some albino humans also have red eyes, although the greater amount of (colourless) pigment present usually means they come out as pale blue or white, simply because it blocks light passing through. Either way, the point stands as these are all actual colours of eyes. The only way your eyes can have no colour whatsoever is if you don't have eyes, the equivalent of not speaking, which of course makes the question of accent meaningless.

[/needless diversion to defend my analogy] :heh:

I always remember my art teacher telling me that white and black aren't actually colours. I think the logic was that they were an abundance or complete lack of light, but not actually colours. So by her logic, it is possible to have no colour to your eyes (black or white eyes).

I always remember my art teacher telling me that white and black aren't actually colours. I think the logic was that they were an abundance or complete lack of light, but not actually colours. So by her logic, it is possible to have no colour to your eyes (black or white eyes).

Well, the colour of an object is determined by the frequencies of light that it absorbs - everything not absorbed is reflected, and this is what you actually see. So, for instance, something appearing red in fact absorbs all frequencies of light but those which we percieve as red, and so on. Things appearing black absorb all visible frequencies, and things appearing white reflect all visible frequencies. But our brain still assigns a "colour" to them - black is only really an absence of colour if we define colour in terms of light itself.

Anyhoo, this is getting far too far away from the topic. :heh:

Despite that being quite factual and correct Grunch it doesn't prove a whole lot in proving that you were right.

My Brummie accent is just bostin'.

Dyson's heard it over Xbox Live. He'll tell ya. :grin:

I've got a messed up accent since moving to the north. The southerners think I sound northern and the northerners think I sound southern. I can't win. I think it depends what mood I'm in, if I'm angry it usually comes out northern now :p

I agree Darksnowman has a cool accent.

Whatever way you try and dress this up, it boils down to two things:

- you sound like a crazed flock of parakeets

and/ or

- your accent is like what a girl character in Wallace & Gromit would sound like!

:heh:

I suppose another point here is that there's a distinction between the accents of people speaking English as a second language, and those who have it as a native language. Native accents arguably serve as a kind of identity definer, and are extremely complex, whereas the accents of non-native speakers are probably going to be approximations of a mixture of native accents. And they'll contain some elements that aren't in any native accents, which may or may not result from the speaker's own native language.

Despite that being quite factual and correct Grunch it doesn't prove a whole lot in proving that you were right.

(With respect to the colour thing? Well, it's arguable either way, but I was implying that colour is nothing implicit in the physical world, but merely categories our brain assigns to objects in the visual field, and so in the sense of human interpretation, no one "colour" is any more a colour than any other.)

Everyone tells me I have a London accent, despite never having lived there (I've always lived in East Anglia). I pronounce sport "spowt".

Incidentally, I believe the general Southern England accent to be the most neutral English-language accent in the world. I've heard so many Americans, Canadians, New Zealanders and Australians do perfect English accents. Think of Austin Powers or Flight of the Conchords - they're flawless.

It's very difficult, on the other hand, for an Englishman to do an American accent. The only great one I've heard is from the Welsh actor Ioan Gruffudd.

I dunno, I think Julia Redgrave, Hugh Laurie, Yvonne Strahovski (granted Aussie to American), Dichen Lachmen (again, Aussie) and Ed Westwick (in a perverted kitten sense) do a decent job.

I've always loved the fact I don't have a local accent, I ain't a yam yam ^_^

I'm glad you're not a Yam Yam either. :kiss:

Hugh Laurie does a top US accent. But then, Hugh Laurie is a national treasure. Such a good actor. You watch Blackadder III and you can't believe that the stupid Prince Regent is Dr House! (And vice-versa if you're American.)

Everyone tells me I have a London accent, despite never having lived there (I've always lived in East Anglia). I pronounce sport "spowt".

Incidentally, I believe the general Southern England accent to be the most neutral English-language accent in the world. I've heard so many Americans, Canadians, New Zealanders and Australians do perfect English accents. Think of Austin Powers or Flight of the Conchords - they're flawless.

It's very difficult, on the other hand, for an Englishman to do an American accent. The only great one I've heard is from the Welsh actor Ioan Gruffudd.

huh!?

those guys are New Zealanders

alot of girls say they like geordie accents, mine is very mild, but when out of the north east people love it, say "oh my god you sound just like ross noble!"

as my post is going no were, any one remeber the black books when fran fell for a guy just because of his voice. it was the best of time.

Yeah I get this. Especially in Durham where it's full of posh kids. They are like "OOOoooooOO You're a Geordie..."

Fools.

Ine, Jay and ViPeR/Joe have all met me and heard me speak, so maybe they'll know about my accent than I can explain.

Basically:

- I look Asian as my Grandfather is from Pakistan.

- However, my Grandmother is from Rochdale (ManchesterLandSia)

- I grew up in South Wales

- I have spent the last 4 years in Brighton with people from London, Kent, Brightonians, that sorta area.

So, my accent is fucked. I think it sounds more Northern than anything, with a tiny bit of Welsh trickling in every here and there. Although, I do think a few of my words are becoming Dutchified...particularly the word "Good."

:( I dunno what I sound like.

Ine, Jay and ViPeR/Joe have all met me and heard me speak, so maybe they'll know about my accent than I can explain.

Basically:

- I look Asian as my Grandfather is from Pakistan.

- However, my Grandmother is from Rochdale (ManchesterLandSia)

- I grew up in South Wales

- I have spent the last 4 years in Brighton with people from London, Kent, Brightonians, that sorta area.

So, my accent is fucked. I think it sounds more Northern than anything, with a tiny bit of Welsh trickling in every here and there. Although, I do think a few of my words are becoming Dutchified...particularly the word "Good."

:( I dunno what I sound like.

Haha you'll need a lot more work and practice before any of your words will sound anywhere close to Dutch. =P

Honestly can't comment on your accent as I wouldn't even know what accents there are in the UK and stuff.

As for me, my English is a mish-mash of American English, some weird British English and lots of Flemish influences haha. Still don't know how to pronounce half of the words properly. Like iron. And apparently pudding too. >.>;

huh!?

those guys are New Zealanders

Yup, that's what I said. New Zealanders can do great English accents.

EDIT - I think I see the crossed wires now. They often do English accents, that's the thing.

Edited by Grazza

I love the "posh" accent so damn much, it just comes across as amazingly sexy to me. I think it's the only reason I've not bothered to embrace the yorkshire accent while I've been living here. But a deepish posh accent = Take me now.

Yup, that's what I said. New Zealanders can do great English accents.

EDIT - I think I see the crossed wires now. They often do English accents, that's the thing.

The David Bowie impression was perfect.

There is nothing worse than a Glaswegian accent, it just sounds so common and cheap.

If music is the spice of life, accents are the artificial food coloring. I love hearing or speaking to people with different accents , even if im not actually paying attention to WHAT they are saying , as opposed to HOW they are saying it

There is nothing worse than a Glaswegian accent, it just sounds so common and cheap.

It offends my ears.

My favourite accent on a girl is a nice mild scottish one or a northern irish one.

Love them.

A kiwi accent too. Spent 6 months there in absolute heaven!

Some folks on here have heard my accent...i couldnt possibly comment about my own!

I think I have the most timid geordie accent imaginable. I've been asked quite a few times if I live or grew up down south as well =P

My favourite accent on a girl is a nice mild scottish one or a northern irish one.

Love them.

A kiwi accent too. Spent 6 months there in absolute heaven!

Some folks on here have heard my accent...i couldnt possibly comment about my own!

What about a bizarro mix of the two? :awesome: :heh: