NEurope
Blue_Ninja0

Pokémon HeartGold & SoulSilver

Do you think the game will be optimized for DSi?

I always liked the look of the clothing the male Pokemon trainer wears in G/S :)

I don't think so. From the official Nintendo site it just says a simple "DS".

Gold/Silver was, in my opinion, the optimum Pokemon game, in every way - big world, lots to see and do, and just the right number of Pokemon - neither too many nor too few.

I can't wait!

But you know you'll have the whole 493 available. (Why didn't they make 500?)

im impressed I think the graphics look far better than diamond and pearl. I lovethis style more for some reason anyway.

I'm betting the Pokemon on the outside thing is some new feature. Probably will have the Pokemon in first position (or even just a choice) be on the outside, who can then contribute something in some way.

Speaking of Heracross...Is there any item in DP that prevents damage from weather/sandstorms? I'd like to train a Heracross when the remakes come out, and Endure/Reversal is an old favourite of mine.

Edited by Jonnas

^ I'm sure there are moves that pokemon can learn that prevent the effects of weather/sandstorms. Just can't remember its name. But there are moves that do it and also sometime the nature or something about the pokemon prevents there being any effects, at least that's what I remember about it. Been 2 years since I played pokemon so I could be wrong but that should be right.

Think one of the moves is Mean Look. ::shrug: someone will probably correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm betting the Pokemon on the outside thing is some new feature. Probably will have the Pokemon in first position (or even just a choice) be on the outside, who can then contribute something in some way.

If that's the case, I'm getting a Waillord (SP)

Anyway, love the new graphics. I'm getting more and more hyped for this game. The traditional pokemon games are some of the few games that deserve the hype they get IMO.

I'd actually prefer HM's to be removed, they take up space for more better moves. I dislike HM whoring a Pokemon too. Maybe just learn the move but not take up any of the other move slots.

I'd actually prefer HM's to be removed, they take up space for more better moves. I dislike HM whoring a Pokemon too. Maybe just learn the move but not take up any of the other move slots.

Apart from a couple that make decent moves (Surf and Waterfall), the rest aren't much use in battle to make you want them on your creature.

They should just make it that you need a certain Pokémon type in your party to do it. If I've got a bird Pokémon in my party, I should be able to use fly regardless - if the bird Pokémon is actually big enough to carry the trainer that is.

The skill should be learnt from Gym Leaders (i.e. their use should still be tied to badges) so this would get round the problem of giving you them all straight away and helps with the idea that they are imparting their knowledge onto our fledgling trainer.

Or maybe they could have it so that each Pokémon is capable of learning four 'battle moves' and two 'out of battle moves', which can be used like HMs, but not in battle.

They will never change how HM's are implemented, it has been a staple of the gameplay for over four generations now, it's too far ingrained. :/

They need to stop bringing in shitty new ones like Defog at the very least.

Oh I definitely agree there though :) keep the HM's but just the good ones that are useful outside of battle, defog is so unecessary and could be mapped to an item instead.

They need to stop bringing in shitty new ones like Defog at the very least.

I concur! I don't want to have to catch random 'mon to use them. I got a spare Starly for Defog. I've just got Strength so I'll be getting someone for that.

On a semi-related note, I used the homebrew channel on my brother's wii to run VBAGX so he could play his Pokemon Fire Red full screen on the 37" downstairs. :p

Really was quite something. Surprisingly though, it didn't look bad, as you'd expect for a stretched game. You can also run it choosing to maintain the aspect ratio. The program UI is really smooth and you can controll with the gamecube pad, classic controller, wiimote and even mouse and keyboard. Thumbs up!

I played a lot of Fire Red on my TV too, through the GameBoy Player.

These are, by default, the greatest Pokemon games ever produced.

Forget about Diamond or Pearl, you want true Pokemon action, these games are the place to look.

The first Pokemon game I ever played. The pokemon were brilliant, the additions fantastic, and the setting genius.

I remember visiting Goldonrod City every Tuesday and Thursday for the bug catching contest, which was enthralling.

But the best part of the game was easily the addition of Kanto. Two regions? 8 more gym leaders?

And the fight with Ash at the end of the game, just... genius.

While I agree nostalgia wise GS is a great game, recently I went back to replay it and it was short, easy and horribly unbalanced. The addition of Kanto probably shouldn't have happened. Yes it added 8 more badges, but there was nothing to do there. Kanto was empty, there were barely any trainers outside of gyms in it.

I just hope they fix that :)

While I agree nostalgia wise GS is a great game, recently I went back to replay it and it was short, easy and horribly unbalanced.

Normal Pokemon players don't really even notice stuff like that, though. I mean, anyone can trounce AI trainers with their highest level Pokemon anyway, so no one can really tell if it's unbalanced. The only way it might seem unbalanced is if you play someone in real life...but who still does that. :/

On that merit...all the Pokemon games are easy! I'm yet to encounter one where I can't rinse the whole game with only my starter Pokemon.

These are, by default, the greatest Pokemon games ever produced.

I still rate Yellow as the best Pokemon game, played the hell out of that one!

I remember playing Silver when it first came out. I was on holiday and I was trying to catch the legendary dogs, I didn't have a clue how to get them :)

I still rate Yellow as the best Pokemon game, played the hell out of that one!

I remember playing Silver when it first came out. I was on holiday and I was trying to catch the legendary dogs, I didn't have a clue how to get them :)

Yeah I remember first bumping into Suicune in an area where a L50 shouldn't have been, and thought WHAT the hell! The Pokemon looked quite different to regular Pokemon. I think realised I could check its location to see where it was after I couldn't bump into it again in the same area. I then found it it was constantly moving...after ages of chasing it and bumping into it one more time I couldn't even get it to a state where it was weakened enough to catch!

Oh I definitely agree there though :) keep the HM's but just the good ones that are useful outside of battle, defog is so unecessary and could be mapped to an item instead.

Exactly, they should just keep:

Surf

Waterfall

Strength

Rock Smash

Fly

Cut

Actually, you could just have one move called Strength, and you start out only being able to smash rocks, and then when you beat a gym you can also move boulders. They could do the same with surf and waterfall. Rock Smash and Waterfall could just be regular moves so you can still trade pokemon from other games in ect.

Exactly, they should just keep:

Surf

Waterfall

Strength

Rock Smash

Fly

Cut

Actually, you could just have one move called Strength, and you start out only being able to smash rocks, and then when you beat a gym you can also move boulders. They could do the same with surf and waterfall. Rock Smash and Waterfall could just be regular moves so you can still trade pokemon from other games in ect.

They could just make it so water Pokemon can naturally swim (because they can) but before they will let you ride them surf style (and this excludes small water Pokemon that couldn't carry you) you have to 'prove yourself' to them with gym badges (which is the case for making high level Pokemon obey you).

The same would be for strong bulky Pokemon with strength, or flying Pokemon. It's just annoying having to give them a move that is usually crap and takes up one of their 4 moves.

They could just make it so water Pokemon can naturally swim (because they can) but before they will let you ride them surf style (and this excludes small water Pokemon that couldn't carry you) you have to 'prove yourself' to them with gym badges (which is the case for making high level Pokemon obey you).

The same would be for strong bulky Pokemon with strength, or flying Pokemon. It's just annoying having to give them a move that is usually crap and takes up one of their 4 moves.

While that would be ideal. HMs are one of those things that aren't going to go away as long as they stick with the classic formula.

While I agree nostalgia wise GS is a great game, recently I went back to replay it and it was short, easy and horribly unbalanced. The addition of Kanto probably shouldn't have happened. Yes it added 8 more badges, but there was nothing to do there. Kanto was empty, there were barely any trainers outside of gyms in it.

I just hope they fix that :)

I'm guessing they ran out of cart space so they had to shorten Kanto, I have no idea if that's what happened but they should have plenty of space on the DS carts for the full Kanto. Cinnabar Island was ridiculous, all it had was a Pokmon Center and a short path to no where (Except for Gary).

While that would be ideal. HMs are one of those things that aren't going to go away as long as they stick with the classic formula.

Yeah, but, you never know. Every so often franchises take a reboot. Resident Evil did it quite successfully. But really this wouldn't even be a reboot...just a minor change, I think. What I proposed wouldn't really affect the gameplay at all.