N-Europe

Elderly killed and bodies sold for cremation

Dante

GANGS are thought to be kidnapping and murdering elderly people, then selling the corpses for cremation to superstitious families who do not want their own dead loved ones incinerated.

The bereaved in southern China are buying substitute bodies for the cremation and secretly burying their dead relatives, according to press reports.

Cremation is promoted as hygienic and space-saving, and in some regions it is obligatory.

However, many believe if a body is burnt the spirit will be angry and misfortune will befall descendants. If it has the proper rites the spirit is content in the next world and protects relatives.

Although nationwide only one per cent of the population is cremated, in the county of Jieyang in Canton, where it is mandatory, the figure is 100 per cent.

The sinister theory is emerging that many of the bodies are elderly people living alone who have been snatched and murdered.

Several gangs are reported to be involved in the trade of substitute corpses, charging 10,000 yuan (almost £1,000).

The South China Morning Post reported how increasing numbers of missing-person posters had appeared in the towns of Jeixi and Puning in recent years.

It is thought about 400 elderly people have disappeared in the region.

One villager said: “My 67-year-old brother-in-law disappeared in February and my mother’s cousin three years ago. We have never received the slightest news.”

Tong Xiaopin, a social sciences investigator in Canton, said: “Many people, above all in the countryside, believe that improvements in living conditions are not the result of social reform but because of the way in which they buried their ancestors.”

www.express.co.uk

1k is good money, I would start a legal shop and have families sell me their old people's corpse and I would resell it for a good margin.

That wouldn't work. The people need to pretend that the bodies are their relatives so that they can get away with not cremating them. If you could buy them then they would know that they weren't actually their relatives. Also the families selling their dead would have to cremate them by law so they wouldn't be able to sell them.

Life is cheap in China, they don't have much respect for humans or animals.

http://www.sfgate.com/c/pictures/2005/04/25/mn_china_bears_ph.jpg

I've only linked to that image because the reality of what's happening in China is too sick to stomach. Imagine living in a cage no bigger than the size of your body for 20 years, never being let out of it until your dead (through starvation) and having the bile from your liver constantly dripping out of open wounds on your body. Bile bears in China are the reason why I donate money to WSPA every month. Bile bears are used for Chinese medicine....

If anybody is interested in human trafficking in China, I'd recommend watching the film Blind Mountain. If you want to see a village that is reminiscent of Resident Evil 4 (or The Wicker Man), China is your best bet. They kidnap young women and sell them to rural farmers that force them into marriage and rape them until they become pregnant. The villagers of these villages all work together to stop the women from escaping.

Edited by Pyxis

Life is cheap in China, they don't have much respect for humans or animals.

http://www.sfgate.com/c/pictures/2005/04/25/mn_china_bears_ph.jpg

I've only linked to that image because the reality of what's happening in China is too sick to stomach. Imagine living in a cage no bigger than the size of your body for 20 years, never being let out of it until your dead (through starvation) and having the bile from your liver constantly dripping out of open wounds on your body. Bile bears in China are the reason why I donate money to WSPA every month. Bile bears are used for Chinese medicine....

If anybody is interested in human trafficking in China, I'd recommend watching the film Blind Mountain. If you want to see a village that is reminiscent of Resident Evil 4 (or The Wicker Man), China is your best bet. They kidnap young women and sell them to rural farmers that force them into marriage and rape them until they become pregnant. The villagers of these villages all work together to stop the women from escaping.

That's pretty grim, dude. I'm gonna try and watch that film, because it sounds like something I'd be interested in seeing.

Bluddy people, though. Don't they ever stop and think "What Am I Doing?"

China is a hellhole. I'm aware that's a massive generalisation, but the more I see about the place, the more I doubt there is a good side.

Another example Here. Watch the video, it's fucking shameful.

I often do wonder though, how much is real and how much is made up. The internet is rife with people making up fake shock stories for a laugh.

I often do wonder though, how much is real and how much is made up. The internet is rife with people making up fake shock stories for a laugh.

Regardless of if it's real or fabricated, it's still a grim reminder of some of the sick stuff that goes on in the world. :/

China is a hellhole. I'm aware that's a massive generalisation, but the more I see about the place, the more I doubt there is a good side.

Another example Here. Watch the video, it's fucking shameful.

With a place like China, I'd really like to go there myself to actually see first hand what it's like. I probably never will, for one reason or another, but it would be one of the best ways to see both the good and bad sides of it there.

Although, part of me thinks "If it is that horrible, why go there?" and I guess it's just to serve my curiosity really. To see if any of it is exaggerated, or what the "good" side of China is like.

I'm sure the 1,330,044,544 people (July 2008 est.) totally agree. 100%.

Just because you say you've made a generalisation doesn't make the crap you say next right.

Don't you find that stories like this come around quite often, there's always something interesting about them but in the end the next dy you'll probably forget it and if not it'll ask to be included in a conversation with someone who brings up something related a year later.

Ok this is harsh and ignorant but this couldve happened any year and I may have missed the news, so I wouldn't have known about it and my life won't change because of it either way.

I'm sure the 1,330,044,544 people (July 2008 est.) totally agree. 100%.

Just because you say you've made a generalisation doesn't make the crap you say next right.

OK, it was a bit of an over reaction by me I'll admit, but the thought of that sort of stuff makes me angry.

If the things posted in here turn out to be legitimate, it geniunely makes me ashamed to be human.

That's pretty grim, dude. I'm gonna try and watch that film, because it sounds like something I'd be interested in seeing.

It is well made and quite professional, but I was reading the wikipedia entry for it last night and discovered that it has different endings for different regional versions. The US release has a different ending from the Chinese release. I've got the Mainland Chinese version and it doesnt have subtitles, but the ending on this one is quite good because it is the opposite of what you'd expect from an American film.

The trouble that plagued its production sounds interesting:

Prior to its release, Blind Mountain suffered from nearly 20 state-imposed cuts.[1][4] This was done in order for the film to be allowed into the Un certain regard competition at Cannes by Chinese officials, as several of the cuts were of scenes that were critical of certain aspects of Chinese society. The Chinese Film Bureau policy also led to Li filming several alternate versions of the film's ending including a more upbeat one specifically for a possible video or dvd release in China

Whenever I watch a Chinese film, I always expect an unhappy ending because it's usually what happens! The Postmodern Life of my Aunt is one of my fav Chinese films - it starts on a high and ends up really demoralisng. Both of these two films try to combat some of the problems in China.

China gets a bad rap in the press. Over the last five years i've spent more time there than I have here (the UK). On the whole its not really any worse than here, in some respects I actually prefer it. Cases like this are ofcourse going to pop up. There's a massive amount of human trafficking in Europe and Europe altogether has less people than China. As for animal cruelty I am similarly horrified by it, but personally I draw no distinction between treating animals cruelly and killing them to eat them or for fashion, which is hardly rare here.

Dont judge what you dont understand. The people in question of that news piece are very religious, they wanted their loved ones to be buried, and there was only one solution to do that.

As for trafficking, China is hardly the only place that does it. In fact Thailand is far worse, yet westerners just love to travel there all the time.

Do not deprive yourselves of visiting amazing countries and experiencing the wonders of their cultures by judging them from horror news stories and their mistakes.

We may not traffick girls in this country, but we make our own mistakes that they do not. Do not make the mistake of thinking we are superior.

Dont judge what you dont understand. The people in question of that news piece are very religious, they wanted their loved ones to be buried, and there was only one solution to do that

Religion does in no way give anyone a right to take somebody else's life.