N-Europe

Lá Fhéile Pádraig (St. Patrick's Day)

Mr. Anonymous

With St. Patrick's day around the conner, and is pretty much celebrated all over the world I was wondering what are going to be doing on this day, this great day, I my self am going over to the girlfriend's house and have a few drinks, I may watch the parade on tv, but I'm not yet sure. So enlighten us on the day where everyone is Irish. [=

Mr.A

Public holiday = day off work get! Although its kinda shit because monday is utter madness for us. We get maybe 50% extra calls incoming on the day before public holidays, so its crazy shit (300/350 calls instead of the normal 200)

I don't drink, and I'm not really Irish as such.. So I likely won't celebrate. Nice to have a day off work, so I won't complain too much :D

Why do so many people who aren't Irish give a shit? Everyone says its an excuse to get drunk, you need an excuse?..

Meh, my aggrevation stems from English people who'd much rather be celebrating St Patrick's day than St George's.

Why do so many people who aren't Irish give a shit? Everyone says its an excuse to get drunk, you need an excuse?..

Meh, my aggrevation stems from English people who'd much rather be celebrating St Patrick's day than St George's.

Tbh, it's because we didn't invent Guinness (the greatest drink in the world) and Bombadier in comparison is a bit boring to get drunk on!

I feel the same way tbh. Everyone likes to think they are part of Ireland when its all fun and drinks, but its a disgrace when the troubles rear their ugly head..

Not saying everyone thinks like this - but I know a considerable number of people that do.

I'm usually busy on tuesday with my aikido so tbf I'm gonna be doing that really, though we sometimes have a pint in the bar after so I might have a guiness specifically towards the old irish day, but really I don't think I'm gonna be doing anything significant for it this year(usually a good old long drink in some of the pubs) :(

I shall be going down the pub to the guiness themed bar and drinking all night whilst playing irish games and listening to irish music as well.

Will be the 3rd year this will have occurred for myself. They are awesome nights to be had to be fair.

I'll prolly go to the local parade, then go for a drive out the coast roads if the weather is good. might have a few whiskeys in the evening but nothing major.

On the one hand I think it's great St Patricks Day is celebrated in so many places, but on the other I find it weird too.

Fair enough if it's a community of Irish ex-pats or people of Irish decent, but when people who fall into neither category do it, just as "a reason to drink" it just doesn't seem right.... then again, when you think of the fact that St Patrick himself wasn't even Irish (likely Welsh or French) I guess that balances something out.

Still for one day this little Island gets to be the center of the world, so woot for us :)

My Youtube vid for St. Patricks Day 2008... currently working on one for this year

ps: fixed the title too

What is the actual point of St.Patrick's day? I mean, St.Valentine's day has the "point" of expressing love and affection, but I assume there must be a point to this one too, not just drinking. Otherwise I could say that 'St. X's day is for drug-taking!", "St.Y's day! Let's run around naked!" etc.

What is the actual point of St.Patrick's day? I mean, St.Valentine's day has the "point" of expressing love and affection, but I assume there must be a point to this one too, not just drinking. Otherwise I could say that 'St. X's day is for drug-taking!", "St.Y's day! Let's run around naked!" etc.

Patron Saint of Ireland.. hence their national day.

Everyone else just takes it as a day to get absolutely slaughtered.

Paj; most special days are like that. Sure, NYE is about singing in the new year... but really everyone just gets hideously drunk and plays with fireworks. Halloween people dress up. Easter we give each other eggs. Xmas it's presents. It's all arbitrary on some level.

Red nose day! Jeans for Genes day. Zombie day! Pancake day. Ash wednesday. Some more respected, some more reasonable than others.

It's just nice to remember you're human once in a while, and share something with everyone.

The actual point is that St Patrick is the patron Saint of Ireland and it's our national day.... kinda like our "4th of July", I guess.

It's a day meant to be for Ireland to celebrate our culture and history I guess... but that kinda got lost somewhere... like Jayseven said with Christmas, it's meant to be about more than just gifts, but the gifts have taken the forefront.