N-Europe

Wii - 2nd Most Popular Online Console

Retro_Link

Quite an interesting stat!

http://www.gamepro.com/article/news/209166/xbox-360-leads-online-followed-by-wii-then-ps3/

PC remains most widely used platform for online gaming, followed by Xbox 360, Wii (yes, the Wii), and PS3 in that order.

At 50 percent, Xbox 360 remains the console online gaming leader, despite the noteworthy changes among other major console systems. For example, use of Nintendo's Wii increased from 18 percent in 2008 to 29 percent in 2009, while PS2 fell dramatically and PS3 moved up from fifth place to third place. This is a testament to the strength of Xbox 360, both overall, and particularly in the online gaming sphere.

According to the report, the percent of online gamers ages 13-17 increased from 17 percent in 2008 to 22 percent in 2009, while the percent of 18-34 year olds, as well as those 35-54, decreased slightly. These shifts indicate that online gaming may have become more appealing to 13 to 17 year olds compared to last year, a theme that is echoed by the growth in teens using a console system for online gaming, and a relatively proportional decline among adults, especially ages 25-34, across several systems.

Nintendo really should be sitting up and taking note of online now... including it in First Party titles and really encouraging Third Parties to include online modes. Edited by Retro_Link

Is this actual games or just people who use an online service (i.e. people who just use stuff like the Everybody Votes Channel or Wii Shop Channel)?
This is at the bottom of the article:
Methodology

The report is based on online survey responses from just over 20,000 members of NPD's online consumer panel ages 2 and older (respondents age 2-12 were captured via surrogate reporting). Respondents had to personally play video games on a PC, video game system or device used for gaming. In order to qualify as an online gamer, respondents had to use one or more of the following systems to play games online: Nintendo DS/DS Lite handheld system, Nintendo Wii, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, Sony PSP handheld system, Xbox, Xbox 360 or PC. Both online gamers and gamers overall (whether online or offline) were included in the study. The survey data is weighted to represent the U.S. population of individuals ages 2 and older. Fieldwork was conducted from January 6-26, 2009.

Lol cool. I always knew that playing all that Endless Ocean, Mario Kart, Pro Evo and Animal Crossing over Wifi would get some recognition. Does Ghost Squads online leaderboards count? :heh:

Not bad at all being in second place considering how cumbersome it is to continually trade friend codes with people.

Having owned a PS3 in the past I can honestly say the online gaming was miles ahead of what the Wii can do and that was before the numerous updates that the PS3 had. Which is why these stats are quite surprising especially given the nature of the online setup of the Wii *points to FCs* Im sure Mario Kart was a big help, easily the best online game on the Wii for me.

Like it was said earlier, will Nintendo actually take note and deliver more of their games online? A new Star Fox is just asking for an online co-op mode :)

So the survey data is based on the responses of 20000 from a console userbase of 50 million + PC users?

Can < 0.05% really be counted as statistically relevent? :/.

This could be applied to many different surveys, though. It's best to only take this as an indicator, and not the gospel truth.

Nintendo should be taking more games online, mind. Although, there's quite a few online Wii games, so it's going in the right direction.

As long as it's a representative sample then yes.

The sample size (if a good sample group) should simply extrapolate up to the same stats as the population.

Prety much. Though i get the feeling they had a tough time doing that if 360 is 50% compared to 87% pc and Wii ahead of PS3.

Thats an impressive figure- probably much more than Nintendo expected. Nearly a third. To be fair, its probably Lostmario distorting the stats. ;)

What??! I'm hardly ever online with the Wii, AC is dead, MK is pretty much dead for me apart from monthly competitions with the NE league down and all.

Should be getting some serious online play in again on the 20th with the release of PES2009. Woo!

Mario Kart Wii's online is perfect. Pretty robust and absolutely no lag.

Smash Brawl is good too as long as you're not playing someone far away.

I wouldn't call Mario Kart's online perfect, there are still a few issues with it, but its probably some of the best on a Nintendo console.

Mario Kart Wii's online is perfect. Pretty robust and absolutely no lag.

Smash Brawl is good too as long as you're not playing someone far away.

If Mario Karts online works in exactly the same way as the 360 does online then yes it's perfect. If I have to fuck around getting a friends 'friend code' typed in then forget it. I don't understand how a friend code is any different to just a Wii email address. Why do they make it so annoying to connect to people? Surely parent controls would be sufficient to ensure kids weren't open to freaks?

Basically the story is Iwata thinks his daughter is going to get abducted by some pedophile she plays animal crossing with if he gets rid of friend codes. TBH, he's probably so rich now he could hire chris hansen (SP) as a bodyguard for her if he wanted.

Personally, I don't think Nintendo would go to all the trouble of developing the Wii Speak, if they didn't care about online.