N-Europe

Healthy food receipes for gaining weight?

The Lillster

Evening folks,

For about a month now i've been going to the gym and have managed to gain 0.5 stone.

I want to put on more, but the key to doing this is to eat healthy meals with lots of carbs and protein.

My problem is I have zero cooking experiance and was wandering if anyone here knows of any good easy-to-understand recepies I could use, to help me gain weight?

Good question, im in a similar predicament. Been trying to gain weight since Christmas. I'm 21 and only just passed 9 stone. Benn doing more exercise recently, cricket training has helped a bit but im wary of what exercises to do. Since people normally relate exercise to reducing weight. Any tips I would be greatful for :)

Eggs, chicken, pasta etc... all pretty easy to cook really.

Banana's, Avacado's etc... all good.

You could just do a 3/4 egg omlette with cheese and ham or something.

Think the best thing to do is just eat an extra meal [or two] during the day.

And if you can, have your extra meal quite late at night, because your metabolism slows down while you sleep so you'll put on more weight that way.

Just snack on healthy things throughout the day aswell, such as banana's, nuts etc...

And if you go to the pub drink guiness!

How old are you? (relevant I assure you)

I'm 23, currently weigh around 8.5 stone and my height is 5.12".

--

To the people saying eat junk food, it doesn't work like that, if you want to put on weight healthily you need to eat the proper foods and cakes and fried food doesn't help.

I know what type of foods to eat, I just need a recipe or a guide on how to cook good chicken.

I have no cooking experiance what so ever.

So i'd appreciate it if any of you have some useful tips, when working in the kitchen.

Cheers.

Wow that is very underweight. Okay no allergies or eating preferences? I find if i'm busy or just lazy the best thing is to make a big soup or pasta bake or make up some burgers three nights a week, do it in great quantities and reheat for the rest of the week.

Soup is easy. You're going to need a big soup pot, loads of root vegetables, maybe some peppers, onions garlic etc, some cream, maybe cheese, i dunno soup is great hard to mess up. Boil it all up, when soft blend. Reheat later. Eat with butter bread or bagels.

Pasta bake is the easiest. You're going to need a big baking dish. Boil up your pasta, when al dente check it in the dish and mix with your tomato sauce, cheese, seasonings and spices, and bake till nice and crispy on top. Again just reheat for a minute in the microwave.

Burgers, a bit harder but fill you up great. Your choice of beans, lentils, garlic, onions, peppers, chillis, one egg, flour. Fry up hard vegetables, check everything in the bowl (as dry as possible), mush everything together. Then cover in breadcrums and shallow fry. Keep left over mixture in the fridge and fry later.

Porridge and eggs for breakfast, anything for lunch, fruit and nuts to snack on anytime.

Dairy!!

I'm 23, currently weigh around 8.5 stone and my height is 5.12".

--

To the people saying eat junk food, it doesn't work like that, if you want to put on weight healthily you need to eat the proper foods and cakes and fried food doesn't help.

I know what type of foods to eat, I just need a recipe or a guide on how to cook good chicken.

I have no cooking experiance what so ever.

So i'd appreciate it if any of you have some useful tips, when working in the kitchen.

Cheers.

Similar situation for me (though im only 17 so I guess doesn't matter so much)

Anyways I was talking to my excersisey friend and apparently you can get protein shakes or. Something. That makes it easy to put on weight quickly, and to put on weight that will more likely convert to muscle. I will ask him about it again soon...

Similar situation for me (though im only 17 so I guess doesn't matter so much)

Anyways I was talking to my excersisey friend and apparently you can get protein shakes or. Something. That makes it easy to put on weight quickly, and to put on weight that will more likely convert to muscle. I will ask him about it again soon...

Lots of guys in my year/year below take those protein supplement things. In various forms.

So I assume they help.

And if you can, have your extra meal quite late at night, because your metabolism slows down while you sleep so you'll put on more weight that way.

Just snack on healthy things throughout the day aswell, such as banana's, nuts etc...

Probably a good idea this method. I'm in the reverse i wish to lose weight healthly atm.

And whatever that burger thing is, it looks revolting and somewhat tempting at the same time.

Meat and Potatoes lad. That's all I'm on in a mission to lard myself up from 8.5 stone to somewhere around 9-10.

Also take a couple of protein shakes every day.

My meals at the moment are:

1. 2 eggs and 4 pieces of toast for breakfast.

2. Pasta for lunch.

3. Various snacks.

At the moment, i'm doing very badly at eating the right amount of calories.

I'm gonna pop down sainsburies tommorow and buy some more food.

My shopping list at the moment is:

1. Eggs

2. Whole milk (blue bottle)

3. Pasta

4. Various fruit

5. white meat

6. fish

7. Nuts

Is there anything else I could add to that list?

By the way TD, I hope you're going to the gym as well, because just eating more won't help. You need to go to the gym as well.

It basicily works like this... When you're pumping the iron the muscles need energy and it's not rocket science to know where they get this energy from.

The harder you work you're mucles, the more food you need to repair them.

When the mucles are repairing that is when they get bigger.

Wow that is very underweight. Okay no allergies or eating preferences? I find if i'm busy or just lazy the best thing is to make a big soup or pasta bake or make up some burgers three nights a week, do it in great quantities and reheat for the rest of the week.

Soup is easy. You're going to need a big soup pot, loads of root vegetables, maybe some peppers, onions garlic etc, some cream, maybe cheese, i dunno soup is great hard to mess up. Boil it all up, when soft blend. Reheat later. Eat with butter bread or bagels.

Pasta bake is the easiest. You're going to need a big baking dish. Boil up your pasta, when al dente check it in the dish and mix with your tomato sauce, cheese, seasonings and spices, and bake till nice and crispy on top. Again just reheat for a minute in the microwave.

Burgers, a bit harder but fill you up great. Your choice of beans, lentils, garlic, onions, peppers, chillis, one egg, flour. Fry up hard vegetables, check everything in the bowl (as dry as possible), mush everything together. Then cover in breadcrums and shallow fry. Keep left over mixture in the fridge and fry later.

Porridge and eggs for breakfast, anything for lunch, fruit and nuts to snack on anytime.

Dairy!!

Thanks. I will write this down for refrence.

I agree with you on eating bananas and extra meals in the day but eating at night doesn't help. At night, your body is shutting down, so anything you eat (even if it's good for you) will just go right through you and do nothing.

http://thisiswhyyourefat.com/

Eat some of the stuff on there.

I think i'll pass.

:hmm:

Yeah. Swimming like a beast. Not pumping iron tho as I currently have a dodgy back.

I'm sure meat is the best way to buff up. It's like the tastiest thing ever!

Yeh, but apparantly you should stay away from red meat, as it is full of saturated fat.

Chicken is very good for you though, fish as well.

Good luck with getting bigger.

Move to Scotland.

moblog_846278.JPG

Oh wait, you said healthy...

1. Scotland is too cold for me.

2. Don't most Scottish people hate the British or is that just the football fans?