N-Europe

And it's finally happened

Edjamakated

Look, as a black person, I feel as if people have pushed me into group "Obama" simply because of that. That is not how I made my decision, though. I wasn't instantly on his side; no, he had to prove to me that he deserves my support. It's the same, I'm sure, for many other black people around the country.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look, as a black person, I feel as if people have pushed me into group "Obama" simply because of that. That is not how I made my decision, though. I wasn't instantly on his side; no, he had to prove to me that he deserves my support. It's the same, I'm sure, for many other black people around the country.

I don't doubt that it's the same for many others in the country, but I wouldn't say it's the same for all. I'm sure there are people(any color really) who voted for him due to his color and I'm sure other people voted against him for the same reason.

How hypocritical that a nation that has abandoned its racist past focuses so much on Obama's skin colour. I've every faith that he's going to be a great president, and no man could be more deserving of the job. He's young, has big ambitions, and is rebuking Bush's wrongs already. But he's awesome because of his policies- not his ethnic background.

That said, however, it is truly amazing that America, a land where black people have been persecuted for centuries, has finally gotten an African-American President.

I think people miss the point of how important his skin colour is, it showed that the majority of the population (white) didn't have any problem in voting someone of another race that shares the same values and ideals as they do, they chose the best president despite his skin colour. It definitely closed a page in American history.

How hypocritical that a nation that has abandoned its racist past focuses so much on Obama's skin colour. I've every faith that he's going to be a great president, and no man could be more deserving of the job. He's young, has big ambitions, and is rebuking Bush's wrongs already. But he's awesome because of his policies- not his ethnic background.

That said, however, it is truly amazing that America, a land where black people have been persecuted for centuries, has finally gotten an African-American President.

But then, your background is also very important, because that makes you who you are. It adds to your personality. Everyone comes from a different type of background, and that is what makes us individual, unique and important.

Reading about his background, and from the impressions that he had on people before he even set foot in politics, you realise that he truly is a special character. The way he talks and conducts himself, his manner and humour, and his values - they all add up. I don't know how he'll fair as President, but he is already a remarkable human being.

Compare him to his predecessor, and there is already a change. Decency and Respect has been bought back to the White House.

Thats actually why most people are excited about the US having a black president. I don't think very many people think he's going to be good just because he's black.

On the contary, people like the rest of my family (I voted for him, they didn't) think he's just going to party in the white house. As they say that's all black people do. Obviously wrong and perhaps the minority as far as opinions go, but the opinion is out there.

As a black person, darkie, blacky... whatever you like ;) it really pisses me off seeing some ignorant Black person on live tv only focusing on the fact his Black and as if that is really going to enhance their way of life. So much weakness and low self esteem in the Black community, which yes, was brought upon by American history... But It wasn't the head of state that caused this and it won't be the head of state that will convert KKK members anytime soon or push racist employers to employ more Black and EM.

When slavery was abolished, Black people thought that would solve all their problems - it didn't. And this is the same sort of sentiment flowing through Black America.

I'm humbled to witness the historic value, but all i really want at the end of the day is a great leader of the Free world. I am eager to see his interactions with states such as Russia, N.Korea and Iran... I don't think his skin colour is going to do much to change their motives/opinions. But more his morality.

Honestly, I'm just happy that there is no more Bush... It feels like a dark cloud has been swept away. For some reason, my biggest fear is that Obama lowers Nasa funding (even if it may be the right thing to do)... We still need to make advancements in Space.

I think him being black might have something to do with him being elected. But overall I think that his oratory skills got him the job. Also I'm not sure that he would have got elected if Bush was even slightly competent. Bush was unreal. I find it hard to comprehend how bad his policies were sometimes. I think people may have voted as much for Obama as they voted anti-republican (if that makes sense). That said I have high hopes for Obama. I wonder if he will get free universal healthcare for America while he is in charge.

Although not directly to do with Obama, increased funding for Stem Cell research in the US has been approved! Woo!

That is indeed fantastic. Despite being a Christian, Obama, unlike Bush, actually has two brain cells to string together. As a keen scientist and a practicing Christian, I'm very excited to see what Obama can do to America in terms of scientific advancement that Bush wouldn't allow to happen.

Bear in mind there is some serious profiteering going on in so called 'green' sector. Many are falling into the green = automatically good mentality.

It shouldnt be like this. We have to move towards a more sustainable future but not like this.

When slavery was abolished, Black people thought that would solve all their problems - it didn't. And this is the same sort of sentiment flowing through Black America.

Quite true.

I expect to see a boom in the green energy industries.

I'm not always sure this is a good thing, especially where people run up the wrong path to simply find they're pissing away money to counter guilt (carbon credits are a total fucking scam), and hybrid cars for example are hugely wasteful on the whole, when you could simply toss away the extra motors and batteries and stick a regular diesel engine in most of these hybrids and achieve the same economy. Hydrogen, as well, is an utter dead end.

Still, I'd love it if we started building more nuclear power plants and invested in tidal and hydro power as much as is practical. Wind power is a bit shit, sadly. Solar electrovoltiacs are still hideously inefficient, but they are getting better, and when they achieve meaningful power outputs, I'd support wider use of solar too. (Solar to directly heat water is still superior as far as I recall).

In general though, of course I am definitely for being more efficient and 'green', I just think that pointless over-regulation by people who barely understand the science of what they're trying to achieve can ruin certain industries for little or no net gain

Why is hydrogen a dead end? A hydrogen economy would basically solve everything. If I had to choose what energy we use in the future it would be hydrogen power plants and electric vehicles.

Seconded. The only issue with hydrogen power is the only people with the equipment and technology are Big Oil, who obviously don't want anything to do with it.