NEurope
Edjamakated

And it's finally happened

A black man has become president of the most powerful country in the world.: peace:

What do you UK folks think about it and do you think he'll have a positive effect on the US's relationship with the world?

Sod all will change.

Capitalism needs to change.

For now on I will refer to him as either 'Babi Obama' or 'President Babs'. Sounds much friendlier.

First Black president of the US is quite something!! MASSIVE moment in history and we saw it!

Not sure how much will actually change, but still!

And phew! he survived his inauguration!

One thing that has come of it, is that I encountered this image about 1-2 months ago:

zx6yi8yd5.jpg

Old perhaps, but the truth it proclaims.

Best thing that could happen at this time, his charisma will give American citizens optimism which will reflect in the American economy, brigging up the world's economy with it.

Whilst I'm not "up" on American politics, I've listened to, read and analysed his speeches (English essay) and he seems like an incredibly determined and confident guy, but let's wait and see if he actually does any good.

I hope he doesn't get as much shit as David Palmer, though.

Sod all will change.

Capitalism needs to change.

For now on I will refer to him as either 'Babi Obama' or 'President Babs'. Sounds much friendlier.

It has under Bush bailout etc. Unless you are a communist or something then yeh you are going to have a dissapointing 4 years.

A lot of things will stay the same though like North Korea negotiations Afganistan and Iraq change of emphasis was happening anyway. Interestngly after a recent high the UK US special relationship could weaken significantly.

He certainly can talk the talk, lets see if he can walk the walk.

Seems like a decent man though, unlike Bush and Clinton.

I just saw some clips from his speech on Five News. and it reminded me of this quote from the Three Musketeers:

This world is an uncertain realm, filled with danger. Honor underminded by the pursuit of power, freedom sacrificed when the weak are oppressed by the strong. But there are those who oppose these powerful forces, who dedicate their lives to truth, honor, and freedom. These men are known as Musketeers. Rise, D'Artagnan, and join them.

It has under Bush bailout etc. Unless you are a communist or something then yeh you are going to have a dissapointing 4 years.

I just want society to change that age old assumption that the more you consume, the better off you are.

I feel capitalism needs to be balanced somehow.

I'm not really expecting a change any time soon though.

He seems like a great guy and I hope he can fix all the fuck ups Mr Bush has made in the past 8 years. I have faith in him :).

2nkifwk.jpg

It's odd that, as Obama said in his speech, 60 years ago he would have been refused service in restaurants in many states. How things can change. :smile:

Retro_Link is a mod?! When did this happen?! Why does this stuff always happen behind my back?!!

About Obama, at least his speech on alternative energies makes total sense to me, and I don't think there's anything he will do that affects the world as much (for good).

It's pretty historic an who knows maybe one day we'll see an atheist president.

Well maybe not us but someone at some point in the distant future must do.

Retro_Link is a mod?! When did this happen?! Why does this stuff always happen behind my back?!!

Not just any mod, over the last 24 hours he's gone from a regular user to the best mod!

Not just any mod, over the last 24 hours he's gone from a regular user to the best mod!

At the cost of RedShell it seems. Hey, the creative board is modless! We can frolic amok there!

As its been said before many times, we witnessed history today. And it wasn't too long ago when the black/ethnic man couldn't go anywhere without racial discrimination. Shows now how much the world has changed (well, America showed us anyway)

I could see a few good changes happening, but not for a while anyway. Only obvious change is now we have a human running America and not a monkey

At the cost of RedShell it seems. Hey, the creative board is modless! We can frolic amok there!

Check the awesome mod retro link in action in the hot gallery and rosie jones topic shino. :P

I can't believe Mr Miyagi is dead... :(

I know :(.

Even worse is that they are remaking the karate kid :(.

As much as I love Jackie Chan he is no Mr Miyagi!