NEurope
The fish

Jeff Buckley For Christmas No.1!

They won't both count, because they are two different tracks of the same song; so stupidly people have been buying different tracks which will devide the sales!

I assume the one in the link counts then if thats the one that's at number 3? I'm not gonna bother unless it's properly counted, if it is though then nps and I'll purchase it in a heartbeat, The Fish, confirmation please?

It would appear the one linked on the Facebook group is the one that is third on the iTunes chart.

Alexandra Burke has broken another record with her debut single 'Hallelujah'.

The X Factor winner has sold more downloads of her debut single in two days than the previous record set by Leona Lewis in a week.

The song was downloaded a total of 149,546 times in its first two days of release compared with Leona Lewis's previous record, which saw 139,000 copies of 'A Moment Like This' snapped up in seven days.

"Alexandra Burke has got off to a quite spectacular start with her recording of 'Hallelujah'," said The Official Chart Company's Mark Talbot.

"Every year's X Factor winner is battling to live up to the huge expectations raised by previous winners, and this year Alexandra is close to surpassing all of those expectations.

The song previously had the fastest ever one-day downloads across Europe.

"After just two days, she has already set another new landmark - selling more downloads in a week than anyone else on history - and could be on her way to breaking more records."

Burke's winning single 'Hallelujah' will be available physically in record shops from today.

Can people now saying "there's a small chance" etc stop? Please!

So, three seperate campaigns split between Rick Astley, the Pogues and Jeff Buckley up against the marketing behemoth of X Factor.

It ain't going to happen. All Christmas number ones have been shit since the dawn of time anyway and it's only rose tinted glasses which make yesteryears seem any better than todays. I'm sure in 20 years there'll be campaigns to get the 2008 X-Factor songs back to number one instead of what the general public is into then as well.

*nods*

I mean if all these campaigners like made up their mind and chose one, they might have a SLIGHT chance of beating it. But where one likes rick, another will hate his, and prefer the Pogues version, vice versa. The big numbers will be buying the X factor single. People are just hating against anything for the bluudy hell of it.

WHYYY.

There really isn't a chance of it being beaten to be fair.

I still can't believe that people buy singles.

This is what I was pondering as I read through this thread, you beat me to it ^^; I haven't bought a single since I was about 10, got £5 pound pocket money, and a £12 album was an unbelievable amount of money XD

so at least 149,546 morons actually support the X Factor and that awful version of Hallelujah.

that is just so depressing.

It would appear the one linked on the Facebook group is the one that is third on the iTunes chart.

second now :D

I still can't believe that people buy singles.

I buy didgital singles of songs I like that I'm pretty sure I won't like the album of, like Pussycat Dolls new song.

I sometimes buy physical singles for the joke of being a collector.

For example, I bought all 3 physical singles from Mantaray by Siouxsie, just cause I felt like having the complete collection.

the best xmas songs were:

1974 Mud "Lonely This Christmas"

1975 Queen "Bohemian Rhapsody"

1978 Boney M "Mary's Boy Child" / "Oh My Lord"

1979 Pink Floyd "Another Brick in the Wall (Part 2)"

1991 Queen "Bohemian Rhapsody" / "These Are the Days of Our Lives"

2003 Michael Andrews & Gary Jules "Mad World"

the best xmas no. 1 songs were:

1974 Mud "Lonely This Christmas"

1975 Queen "Bohemian Rhapsody"

1979 Pink Floyd "Another Brick in the Wall (Part 2)"

1991 Queen "Bohemian Rhapsody" / "These Are the Days of Our Lives"

You left out Mary's Boy Child (Oh My Lord) by Boney M. That is composed by someone who is also a master of win in his spare time.

No matter how much it's been whored out in recent years, Fairytale of New York is still made of win.

On occasions I've found him a lil humourous. But with this Britain's got the ... the moment they show his smug twat face at the end of the advert makes me wanna punch him.

I loved Britain's got the Pop Factor... because everything that was stated in that programme is true about all shows like the X Factor. Half the time, you don't get through the auditions because you haven't got a great sob story, the phone lines are rigged, presenters always (for some weird reason) state exactly every move they make and I'm glad someone took the piss out of these shows because it should have been done a long time ago.

And it's pissed Simon Cowell off so added bonus! hahaha.

Anyway...

There's a woman's version of Hallelujah and I thought that was better than Jeff Buckley's (though I do like that version too). I can't remember her name...

I loved Britain's got the Pop Factor... because everything that was stated in that programme is true about all shows like the X Factor. Half the time, you don't get through the auditions because you haven't got a great sob story, the phone lines are rigged, presenters always (for some weird reason) state exactly every move they make and I'm glad someone took the piss out of these shows because it should have been done a long time ago.

And it's pissed Simon Cowell off so added bonus! hahaha.

Anyway...

There's a woman's version of Hallelujah and I thought that was better than Jeff Buckley's (though I do like that version too). I can't remember her name...

Imogen Heap?

I've just found out her name, it's Kate Voegele (I dunno whether I spelt the last name right) and it's the best version I've heard.

That's exactly true. They want people with a good story rather than good talent as they know people will still buy the single/album no matter how good it is. Prime example being this year's single.

The lines aren't rigged though, they just edit the programme to make people see the good parts of the person the producers (or Cowell really) want to win and the bad points of the person they don't want to win.

Remember that girl who got chucked out of her group because she had a criminal record or something? Do people seriously think Cowell didn't know that before putting them through?

What the judges say is also scripted.

That's exactly true. They want people with a good story rather than good talent as they know people will still buy the single/album no matter how good it is. Prime example being this year's single.

The lines aren't rigged though, they just edit the programme to make people see the good parts of the person the producers (or Cowell really) want to win and the bad points of the person they don't want to win.

Remember that girl who got chucked out of her group because she had a criminal record or something? Do people seriously think Cowell didn't know that before putting them through?

What the judges say is also scripted.

Yeah, I do. Wasn't that the band 'Hope' who was made up by putting four different girls who wanted to go solo together and it was formed by Louis? (Got a bit of a good memory when it comes to TV, lol) and I knew Simon knew. It's their job to know, they have to run a check or something before they even audition. My mate told me when he was auditioning for the first stage.

And I agree with the whole script thing, it's all pantomime now and it's getting ridiculous. I watched Xtra Factor: Best and Worst last night and I saw Oghun auditioning and, to me, he sounded so much better than he did on the live shows (same goes for the rest and yes, even Daniel). My guess is that voice coaching weren't helping one bit

I've just found out her name, it's Kate Voegele (I dunno whether I spelt the last name right) and it's the best version I've heard.

That's possibly my favourite version as well, between that and Rufus Wainwright for me.

That's possibly my favourite version as well, between that and Rufus Wainwright for me.
Rufus all the way!

Totally. Mine too. (Kate)

the best xmas songs were:

:shakehead

No. They murdered the Tears for Fears classic.

The Americans managed it, so why can't we? Buckley beat their flash in the pan game-show winner back in March. Honestly, if everyone who said "i'm not buying it because there's no chance of it winning!" bought the song things might be a little closer...

Anyhow, it doesn't matter if it places 2nd. It's taken YEARS of brand-building, millions of pounds and a 16 week TV show to get Alex at #1. It's taken a handful of people with a facebook account 10 days of work to get a forgotten song in to the charts and up to the number 2 slot. Which is the real achievement? Which one is the real winner?

The reality TV boom just shows how fucking stupid the general public are.

The best example being that this year's X Factor single had the most pre-orders ever...

...before anyone knew what the song was or who was going to be singing it

The Americans managed it, so why can't we? Buckley beat their flash in the pan game-show winner back in March. Honestly, if everyone who said "i'm not buying it because there's no chance of it winning!" bought the song things might be a little closer...

I couldn't give a toss who wins, it's a song and that's it. If more important stuff in the world got as much attention as this seems to be getting I imagine a lot of starving children might be happy this christmas. How about instead of paying 79p for a hopless attempt to get a song to number one, you donate it to an actual worthy cause. I mean, 79p x 100,000 (Also, there is NO way it's reached 100,000 in the space of a week, look at the popularity bar on iTunes) = a lot of happy children.

Or you know...whatever. :heh: