N-Europe

Apocalypse: What are your views about the end of the world?

Pookiablo

So at the moment I'm writing an essay for my German culture module about the idea and representation of the Apocalypse in German film and literature and it made me wonder what most people's view is regarding the end of the world. Do you think it will eventually happen? Perhaps in our life time? I suppose more importantly, how do you think it would happen?

I guess when you consider all the nuclear bombs and weapons of mass destruction that exist, it's pretty spooky that there's always, no matter how unlikely, a chance of a nuclear apocalypse happening, even now. Do you think we as humans have a fixation on "self-destruction" so to speak?

I know it's pretty heavy for a saturday afternoon but you guys are all rather profound folk, so give it a go!

Minimum: In one year

Maximum: In thousands of years, when the Sun blows up, or even before, when its too big for us to handle the hot...

But i think that we'l end up destroying ourselves, so it might be in something like 500-600 years

Minimum: In one year

Maximum: In thousands of years, when the Sun blows up, or even before, when its too big for us to handle the hot...

But i think that we'l end up destroying ourselves, so it might be in something like 500-600 years

Actually No.

The sun isn't going to supernova in 10 Billion years the sun is going to finnish fusing all the hydrogen inside it and begin to fuse the helium that the hydrogen was fused into. When this happens it will expand into a red giant and swallow up all 4 inner planets. Eventually everything will fuse into carbon and fusion will begin to stop and the sun will turn into a black dwarf and eventually it will go out and just be a giant piece of carbon floating around.

But we'll all die in a Zombie apocalypse before then anyway.

Actually No.

The sun isn't going to supernova in 10 Billion years the sun is going to finnish fusing all the hydrogen inside it and begin to fuse the helium that the hydrogen was fused into. When this happens it will expand into a red giant and swallow up all 4 inner planets. Eventually everything will fuse into carbon and fusion will begin to stop and the sun will turn into a black dwarf and eventually it will go out and just be a giant piece of carbon floating around.

But we'll all die in a Zombie apocalypse before then anyway.

Don't say the 'Z' word!

THIS!

People stop wasting your time decided when we'll all die and enjoy your life :heh:

Probably won't happen in our lifetime anyway! ^^

I realise I just defeated the whole thinking about it thing by writing this post, but shush.

I don't recall anyone saying that they didn't enjoy their life as it was anyways. It's just speculation. That and I was hoping more for a debate over why we build all these weapons, try to outgun the other etc.

As for my life I love it, so there's nowt wrong there!

Super volcano? King_V may come in here talking about planet Nibiru.

:heart: u

On a universal scale, our world is very fragile. One tiny chunk of matter from the asteroid belt could just wipe everything out... Imagine if something with some deal of gravitational force just slightly pulled us a lil further away from the sun, just a little tinsy-winsy further (or a lil bit closer)... we're fucked.

Enter Planet Nibiru :heh:

:heart: u

On a universal scale, our world is very fragile. One tiny chunk of matter from the asteroid belt could just wipe everything out... Imagine if something with some deal of gravitational force just slightly pulled us a lil further away from the sun, just a little tinsy-winsy further (or a lil bit closer)... we're fucked.

Enter Planet Nibiru :heh:

I'm guessing, I've created a monster here?

Eventually all things come to an end, whether they renew or not is probably a better question.

I personally think yes the ''world'' will end, if you mean just earth. I'm not entirely sure it'll be man's fault. But initially we aren't helping any just being here and expanding.

I doubt our prescence affects the actual mass of material we live on, that much.

he ozone layer/global warming whatever, isn't really damaging the big ball that is Earth, is it? It's just affecting us.

Well I suppose thats true, but then it's effecting most of the living creatures rather than just us.

I think Horizon has managed to cover pretty much all the possibilities of world destruction. It depends really.

Short term human induced:

Genetically modified super-virus.

Nuclear warfare.

Global warming, large scale famines etc.

Robots rising up against their masters.

Short term natural:

Large scale super-volcanic eruption in the style of the permo-triassic mass extinction which wiped out 90% of life of earth.

A good old fashioned meteor.

Nearby solar supernovae.

Alien invasion.

Magnetic polar reversal

Long term

Super massive black hole.

Decline in the energy output of our sun.

Universal heat death.

The apocalypse I would most like to see happen is the Nordic one. It would so badass to have ancient viking warriors and gods rising up leading an army against Loki and his army who set sail in the dreaded ship Naglfar, made out of human corpses, while the giant serpent Jörmungandr breaks free of its prison in the centre of the earth causing worldwide destruction and the Fenris wolf eats the moon. It would be like an 80's metal album cover come to life.

tc.

I SO hope it'll be this, I really do. Even if we'll obviously lose, at least we'll feel like we're putting up a fight against these beings/computers.

All Terminator Like.

Plus it would give me an excuse to put my Ellen Ripley/Kyle Reese impressions to use, but with actual guns, and actual enemies.

I think Horizon has managed to cover pretty much all the possibilities of world destruction. It depends really.

Short term human induced:

Genetically modified super-virus.

Nuclear warfare.

Global warming, large scale famines etc.

Short term natural:

Large scale super-volcanic eruption in the style of the permo-triassic mass extinction which wiped out 90% of life of earth.

A good old fashioned meteor.

Nearby solar supernovae.

Alien invasion.

Magnetic polar reversal

Long term

Super massive black hole.

Decline in the energy output of our sun.

Universal heat death.

Were did you read that and when can I read it?

The apocalypse I would most like to see happen is the Nordic one. It would so badass to have ancient viking warriors and gods rising up leading an army against Loki and his army who set sail in the dreaded ship Naglfar, made out of human corpses, while the giant serpent Jörmungandr breaks free of its prison in the centre of the earth causing worldwide destruction and the Fenris wolf eats the moon. It would be like an 80's metal album cover come to life.

That's so awesome, it needs to be made into movie.