NEurope
ReZourceman

T-Shirt Designs

What's the best way of making shirts, old school style (as RedBubble only allows for the design to take up a certain percent of the t-shirt yes?). Best materials etc?

What do you mean by old school... you mean you want to screen print your own T's?...

If so I've done quite a lot of that through arts foundation fashion and since gone back and done it in other modules... using a silk screen and squeegee, iron on paper (on which you draw and cut out your design with a scaple), a wide range of coloured fabric paints... you'd also need an iron, sharp knife, plastic cutting mat etc........ maybe this isn't what you mean...?

Seems RedBubble now also do back prints, whoo! Though not both at the same time yet though, you have to pick between front or back. But nice to have the option.

work.3596237.1.figb,asphalt,mens,fbfbfb.robot-dj-is-in-the-house.jpg

Plus seems they're also working on getting hoodies out soon. =)

Oh plus free shipping on tees for 24 hours if you use the code sdrawkcab.

All info here: http://www.redbubble.com/people/redbubble/journal/4817259-back-prints-gear-changes-and-a-free-ship

Just backs is a little but rubbish, but I guess the occasional design may suit it.

Hoodies would be cool.

Well doing prints on both sides is something I think they're going to try in the future. I can see why they don't do it yet though, doesn't make the printing process easier to do both sides heh.

Also I don't think printing on both sides is really needed unless they figure out a way to let you print on the entire shirt surface, so you can have a print that runs from the front to the back or example.

Beautiful Dirty Rich

work.4888137.1.fig,white,womens,fbfbfb.beautiful-dirty-rich.jpg

Walk Walk Fashion Baby

work.4856622.1.fig,white,womens,fbfbfb.walk-walk-fashion-baby.jpg

Edited by Retro_Link

They're really good Retro. Are you trained in graphic design? I think that's what I want to get into. I love the colours, and something else about them is very pleasing - not sure if it's the "composition" as such, but I like the fullness.

Is the 2nd one meant to be cheeky/smutty or is it just my dirty mind? No offence intended - it probably is just me!!

They're awesome.

Although I think she has 2 official t-shirts of exactly those phrases...maybe why they seem familiar.

They're really good Retro. Are you trained in graphic design? I think that's what I want to get into. I love the colours, and something else about them is very pleasing - not sure if it's the "composition" as such, but I like the fullness.

Is the 2nd one meant to be cheeky/smutty or is it just my dirty mind? No offence intended - it probably is just me!!

Very kind of you to say, but nope, no graphics training, just like playing around in photoshop (what I know about it that is!)

What do you find cheeky about the second one?

They're awesome.

Although I think she has 2 official t-shirts of exactly those phrases...maybe why they seem familiar.

Cheers Paj!

She may do, I haven't seen her shirts but 'Beautiful Dirty Rich' is probably quite a likely slogan being a song name, and I just like the line 'Walk Walk Fashion Baby'!

Beautiful Dirty Rich (black)

work.4935533.1.fig,black,womens,fbfbfb.beautiful-dirty-rich-black.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT:

Exciting Day!!

I have the featured 'T-shirt of the Day' on the US site Teefury!

They contacted me a couple of months ago asking if they could use the design, and today is finally the day!

teefury.jpg

What's just as good is all the lovely comments and feedback it, and the rest of my work, is recieving!

I'm a very happy fella today! :D

Edited by Retro_Link
Automerged Doublepost

What do you find cheeky about the second one?

Gargh, this is really childish, and it feels wrong to type it on Easter Sunday, but since the "w" and "k" are more prominent, you can fill in the blanks to make a rude word! I also thought the last bit might have been "fan boy".

But no, really good.

[..]

EDIT:

Exciting Day!!

I have the featured 'T-shirt of the Day' on the US site Teefury!

They contacted me a couple of months ago asking if they could use the design, and today is finally the day!

teefury.jpg

What's just as good is all the lovely comments and feedback it, and the rest of my work, is recieving!

I'm a very happy fella today! :D

I'm loving that one, I only have a tiny nitpick, you're not consistent with your pixel size.. You could've thrown in a line a tie-interceptors/bombers too. It's very cool nonetheless.

Got some own ideas after checking out Redbubble.com and some other t-shirt sites. Got a fun gamers shirt idea, unfortunately because of copyright infringements I'll probably just keep that one to myself. That said, got some original ideas too, now if just get them into my computer I may join that Redbubble thing.

Edited by Sméagol

Hi Retro_Link.

I signed up for another matter but I've been lurking for a while. Wanted to say I'm a Teefury regular and I loved your design when it came up recently. Congratulations.

I'd have bought it if A) I wasn't broke and B) Their shipping to the UK wasn't awful. I wish they had an option to ship out to the UK once a fortnight and all shirts bought could be sent at once at a reduced cost. Would make me much more inclined to buy.

Ever tried submitting to Threadless?

Good idea, I think that could do pretty well on threadless, although the average voter is pretty critical on there.

Good idea, I think that could do pretty well on threadless, although the average voter is pretty critical on there.

They seem to like some really great designs and then some absolutely rubbish ones. It's hard to gauge what's going to be successful or not, I suppose. Anything that lampoons pop culture is usually a hit, but they're pretty specific about what they accept and print relating to parody and copyright laws on there.

If someone can produce a shirt of Vader cutting a bush into the Death Star, I don't see how Retro's design could sound any alarms. It's a shame the Teefury shirt was only available for one day so at least this way more people could get a chance to own it (I speak selfishly for myself here) with the options for decent and combined shipping.

Do Teefury impose any restrictions on designs posted on their site with regard to them appearing elsewhere?

Hey Scoop!

Thanks for the comments, :D (and you Shorty!)

- I haven't tried submitting to threadless, but I think I might look into it. Teefury contacted me over Death Star Invaders a few months ago, so that's how it happened to end up on their site.

- The design is also available on my RedBubble site, which there's a link to in my sig, though the prices on RedBubble are more expensive.

- Teefury don't impose an restrictions on designs appearing elsewhere, it's been on RedBubble for some time now before it appeared on their site. They specify that you keep all copyrights over the design they feature.

Anyways, Welcome to the Boards!!

Edited by Retro_Link

Thanks for your welcome!

I say submit it to Threadless in that case. Put it on for critique at least and go from there. If it gets printed I'll definitely buy it since I can wait like a cheapy for one of their delicious ten dollar sales and chuck it in with a few other shirts on expedited shipping.

I think I'll look into RedBubble. Seems a lot of you guys use it.