N-Europe

Astley up for a MTV Award

EEVILMURRAY

Which is an apt word for most of all today's music.

Hmmm...

Go listen to the albums I recommend from the last 2 years in a post I made in the Music Thread.

Yeah, most mainstream music today is shit, but there are so many more hidden gems (Camille, St. Vincent, CocoRosie, Laura Marling, Santogold, Sigur Ros, but to name a few).

If you think today's music is shit, you obviously aren't looking hard enough for good stuff, and when it comes to music, ignorance isn't bliss.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted. (Not Astley...heehee.)

I'm still stunned by the swathes of utter shit that littered those nominations.

I think Tokio Hotel being nominated for Best Act Ever is a sign that the world will soon end. Why else would they be there, except as part of some sick alien sadist's joke on earth?

^ There must be a lot of people who like their song "Monsoon".

I know I do.

Does that song alone constitute their nomination as best act ever?

If it was act with most interesting hairstyle on one of the members, maybe.

Gah. Give me the Mercury Music Prize anyday.

Hmmm...

Go listen to the albums I recommend from the last 2 years in a post I made in the Music Thread.

Yeah, most mainstream music today is shit, but there are so many more hidden gems (Camille, St. Vincent, CocoRosie, Laura Marling, Santogold, Sigur Ros, but to name a few).

If you think today's music is shit, you obviously aren't looking hard enough for good stuff, and when it comes to music, ignorance isn't bliss.

I have no doubt there are some good "gems" out there, but I'm not going to go out of my way looking for them if I can help it. And if many people keep considering Amy Winehouse and the like to be good, then ignorance is going to be fucking heaven.

Rick Astley was and is a fucking God.

And that was years before the kids on the internet discovered him and this rick rollin' thing became big.

I'm seconding this, if only FOR Never Gonna Give You Up, as I've always loved my 80s pop and loved the song, I don't actually know why people hate it(do people hate it?). I mean, getting rick rolled is still a bit 'oh god not again' like when you look down cos someone told you you dropped your gay card, but I just still love it, and I still love that damn song!

And for the record, as it's kind of due;

rick_2.jpg

I have no doubt there are some good "gems" out there, but I'm not going to go out of my way looking for them if I can help it. And if many people keep considering Amy Winehouse and the like to be good, then ignorance is going to be fucking heaven.

But...it's hardly gems.

Don't look at the charts/listen to the radio. Root around on last.fm a.k.a. How To Find Music You Like.

I don't really understand this Rick Roll thing. I mean... I understand it. But I don't get if being Rick Rolled is funny because... it's random, or because the general attitude is that it's annoying and bad music.

I actually like the song, and wasn't really sure how to take it. Someone help. Another internet fad has general passed me by while confusing me with its' wicked ways.

I don't really understand this Rick Roll thing. I mean... I understand it. But I don't get if being Rick Rolled is funny because... it's random, or because the general attitude is that it's annoying and bad music.

I actually like the song, and wasn't really sure how to take it. Someone help. Another internet fad has general passed me by while confusing me with its' wicked ways.

Once I learned what it was all about, I loved it.

It's like a joke a few of my friends do all the time (tricking you into looking at their unusual-gesture-making hand), except it comes with good music. It's like when you hear a familiar song at a public place.

Hence why I click the links anyway, even if I know beforehand what they are. I know I wasn't caught, but I'll listen anyway. I feel no harm.

I think the point of the Rick Roll is that the video is everything '80s compressed into a music video. The voice, the clothes, the dancing, the music itself - it's all so '80s. People find the 80s amusing. The whole style seems to funny to many today.

But I also think many people like it. You always feel stupid and laugh at yourself when you get Rick Rolled. But when that's said, I love the song. I love music from the '80s.

• 1 month later...

Considering someone on 4chan created a program that automatically votes for you every second, then yes I'd say he'd win. I put in around 25K votes...