Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Punch-Out!!

Tellyn

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent Redshell! So professionally done! My score was awful, so i won't say...took me about a minute to realise one important factor! haha It's early, let me off! :D

You kept punching the ref, didn't you? :heh: Worry not, as I haven't played a Punch-Out!! game before, I did the same thing until it clicked why I was on -1000.

Cheers everyone!

: peace:

Its pretty hard with a touch pad though 1205
I imagine it is yeah, so that's a pretty good score considering. icon14.gif

I just spotted these over on GoNintendo:

Punch-Out!! - Euro disc art, back of the box

Pink Punch-Out!! sweaters hitting Nintendo World Store

How cool? :grin:

Man, I'm proper hyped for Punch-Out!!. Making the banner, watching those awesome retro style ads (over and over :heh:) and now the little mac training hoodie... it's all too much. :laughing:

Need... the... game.

My interest in this game has absolutely skyrocketed over the last few weeks!

I loved the look/style/graphics right from the start and loved the first main trailer, but wasn't sure how much depth, content I was gonna be getting from the main game; and having not played a Punch-Out game before I was keeping excitment at a low.

But as it's got nearer launch and I've fallen in love with the theme music, seen a bit more of the game [whilst tring not to spoil/overload to much], seen the awesome promo's, the gametrailers preview etc...

and of course your banner Redshell!!

I can't wait!!

9.0 from GI

Cmon Nintendo, hurry up and announce a price drop and color change for the Wii so i can pick this up!

No price complaints please, even with the crappy exchange rate you can get a Wii for a hell of lot cheaper than us Europeans!

Has anyone tried to submit this game to the stars bonus catalogue?

For a week,everytime I try it keeps giving me an error message.

Has any other the same problem?

erm. It's not out yet.

EDIT: I've not used that service in ages. It's possible that I have no idea how you get stars nowadays...

Edited by D_prOdigy

Has anyone tried to submit this game to the stars bonus catalogue?

For a week,everytime I try it keeps giving me an error message.

Has any other the same problem?

It worked when I did it but I can't remember when I did, it was a while ago.

Game Informer Review - 9.0

I’ve dreamed about a new Punch-Out ever since the Super Nintendo. The N64 and GameCube came and went without even a boxing-related rumor. Three consoles later, Nintendo finally caved and hired the development house from Mario Strikers to reinvent this beloved franchise. So many things could have gone horribly wrong, but the core single-player experience gets everything right.

Every boxer from the original Punch-Out on NES is here except Mike Tyson, and the traditional high punch, low punch, dodge, block, and duck moveset is still in place. As you progress through the roster of rivals, the difficulty ramps up at an even pace (okay, Glass Joe is still tremendously easy). You can cruise through the first few fights, but things start to get tricky in the Major Circuit. The good news is an effective practice mode allows you to take on a hologram version of the boxer currently giving you trouble. Determine the timing to halt Bald Bull’s charge, count how many uppercuts Popinski performs after you punch the soda bottle out of his hands, or learn how to dodge Macho Man’s hurricane punch without the threat of getting knocked out.

The pre-match cutscenes and comical fight animations add dimension to the boxers and manage to steer clear of stereotypes for the most part. You learn that Glass Joe likes to wear black turtlenecks out of the ring, Bear Hugger trains with real bears, and King Hippo’s diet consists mostly of meat and tropical fruit. After you defeat every opponent it gets even better: New cutscenes in the second career show how they’ve dealt with defeat at your hands and what they’re planning for revenge. These guys must have trained well, because the second career is incredibly difficult. Boxers have added defense skills, new attacks, new looks, and more strength to their punches. It’s almost like you’re fighting a new set of rivals.

Using the motion controls, players swing the remote and nunchuk to punch and use the analog stick for defensive maneuvers. These controls hold up during the first round of bouts, but you’re better off using the NES control scheme in the challenging second career. Balance board control is also an option, but it isn’t accurate enough for the careful timing required in Punch-Out. Sometimes I would lean right and Mac would dodge left. You just can’t risk that kind of imprecision in a fight.

At any time you can schedule an exhibition fight with any previously defeated character to attempt three achievement-style challenges. I loved trying to KO guys in under a minute or discovering their one-hit kill, but the only reward is a lame set of audio files.

Multiplayer finally comes to Punch-Out in the form of split-screen Mac versus Mac battles. Wildly flailing your arms like a Wii Sports boxing reject won’t work here. Fights are more about timing and predicting opponents’ moves like in a traditional game of rock, paper, scissors. Skilled players can fill up a blue gauge and transform into a hulking Giga Mac capable of crushing blows. While it’s amusing to unleash this kind of power on your friend, the multiplayer doesn’t have the legs to keep it interesting. This could have been the chance to finally play as enemy characters or to take the franchise online somehow, but it ends up feeling like the team settled for the easiest route.

Despite these complaints, the single-player has always been the focus of Punch-Out, and Next Level delivers. What better way to show your buddy up than to totally annihilate the boxer that just KO’d him?

This game's been getting amazing reviews. I can't wait til next weekend!! My new "friend" may be coming over though... may advise her not to; shes working on three productions so I'll say you need to work or rest... though I actually really want to see her... what to do what to do? If only she was a gaming freak like my ex....

1up Review - A+

Just as importantly, Punch Out!! is not a short game. The Major, Minor, and World circuits include all the original fighters, a couple new ones, and even reintroduces some characters from the under-appreciated SNES game. But it may seem that it's cleaving just a little too close to its source material. Beating the last guy and winning the championship is an accomplishment, to be sure, but it wouldn't have been enough. Fortunately, that's where the game really comes into its own.

Title Defense mode, unlocked upon completion of the original three circuits, isn't just some kind of tacked-on bonus. In fact, it's more than half of the game. Each of your opponents return; faster, tougher, and with whole new patterns that subvert your expectations. It's kind of a shock when, after finally taking down ---------- and claiming the belt, you get your ass completely handed to you by Glass freaking Joe. The realization dawns that if he's actually managed to become a credible threat, what is the last guy you narrowly scraped past going to be like when you finally make it that far? The original three circuits are practically an introduction.

IGN review - 8.8

wow at this gamplay video

This game is starting to look like all kinds of win. After strongly being in the omg wtf camp after it was revealed and then ignoring it, I now want this game. I blame Cassamssina and Bozon for plugging it every single week on the podcast and some of the videos, especially the training one have me sold. Ooh and the music is awesome.

I'll be buying for sure, but the thing is where do I fit it in between Little King's Story, Kororinpa 2, Excitebots and Klanoa. :( 2009 is shaping up to be the best Nintendo gaming year since the 2nd year of Gamecube and we haven't even had a major first party announcment yet.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!