Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Red Steel 2 (£4.95 @Zavvi)

blender

Surely if the first game did over a million, this can too! Surely!

Yeah, but Red Steel 1 was also a launch game. The sole reason I purchased the game is I wanted a FPS game for my freshly obtained Wii and Red Steel 1 was really my only choice.

Red Steel 2 isn't a launch title. And unlike it's predecessor it does have competition.

• Replies 593
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But there's also 50 million more wii owners.....

I think it'll sell a million....unless it's shit. And that's why Ubisoft cut the numbers....

I reckon they cut the numbers because the hype for it has slightly decreased due to the 3 (is it?) delays it's gone through since been given its first release date! I believe it was meant to come out winter 09, was delayed till end of Jan and then delayed again till March.

Also like i said before, definately up against MASSIVE competition in March..gamers will go for Final Fantasy and God Of War III...and thats not including the rest..

It will sell a million in time though, sure of it.

In terms of sales the hardcore audience is incredibly small. 99,5% of Wii owners didnt care about MadWorld.

Looking at forums one would think "everyone" buys Zelda, but in fact 93% of Wii owners doesnt have Twilight Princess. Mario Party 8 sold way more...

Looking at Metroid Prime 3/MP Trilogy sales Metroid is not a big franchise at all.

On the other consoles its a different story, but still 50% of 360 owners havent even tried it online...

The preorder bonuses for Red Steel 2 look brilliant - nice to see they also haven't plastered the box with that ugly MotionPlus message on this version.

10.jpg

Fun fact: I went out of my way to avoid the recent pre-order stuff for NSMB Wii and Spirit Tracks.

I want this RedSteel package. (To put alongside my Dark Tower stuff! :grin:)

• 3 weeks later...
Bah, it seems the pre-order pack will be a Play.com exclusive, unless they've got their info wrong that is. I was hoping for a Conduit style 'special edition' for all retailers, mainly cause' I have the Motionplus+ bundle pre-ordered at Amazon for £29. :heh:

I like to place my orders with Game wherever possible but I'll have to keep an eye on the sitch with RS 2 as I wouldn't mind that art book. :cool:

There's a new vid from GT, the "Bad Day" trailer:

I'm loving the style of this cel shaded western.

A bunch of sites got some hands on time with Red Steel 2 recently and with the embargo now lifted, all their impressions are hitting the net. Here's a piece of what Eurogamer has to say:

Does it play as well as it looks? The answer to that question lies largely with the MotionPlus - mandatory for Red Steel 2 and available, by the sounds of it, in a bundle. Thankfully, VandenBerghe and his team haven't expected Nintendo's seemingly forgotten peripheral to deliver their game by itself. Instead, the result looks like a clever mix of player freedom and canny developer subterfuge, with MotionPlus' increased input fidelity used both for moments of one-to-one mirroring and other periods where it provides a smarter means of interpreting what you're trying to do before spitting out the pre-canned attack you wanted.

"We make the decision of how to use MotionPlus differently for different actions," says VandenBerghe. "On the one-to-one end of the spectrum, we have blocking, where the motion is as close to accurate as we can have it while still making you look like a hero. What we found, though, is that if you do true one-to-one, you just look like an idiot. You look terrible. It's just so bad. So bad.

The original Red Steel had a handful of fairly interesting multiplayer modes - the sequel, probably wisely, has focused entirely on the single-player campaign. "The fantasy of the hero doesn't survive that one-to-one modelling, so we're always doing a little bit of handholding. Every attack goes through the centre of the screen, for example, no matter where you're swinging - but the angle of that attack is 100 per cent determined by you and what you did. It's not like there's eight slashes - there's an infinite number of slashes.

"On the other end of the spectrum, we have special moves which are deliberately triggered actions," he continues. "You push a button and swing in a particular way, and as long as you get the input right, we're going to pull off a cool move that may not always look that much like what you physically did. We're using the MotionPlus to get a better idea of what you want to be doing, and then we make sure you get the result you wanted."

Its a four page preview, the rest of which can be found here.

It's the guy with the cane!

He seems too cool to work for Ubisoft.

Watching this definitely convinces you that this is going to be a great game and that the multiplayer was not implemented because of wanting to keep a high level of quality rather than laziness.

Edited by STOOPIDDITTIES

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!