N-Europe

Not news, but I was almost sick when I was watching The Biggest Loser. There is an endless list to why it is just fucking terrible, starting with the name of the programme - It's about people losing weight which I guess is kind of good but then they slap on this demeaning title that isn't even that good a pun, isn't necessary and is basically implying that the participants are losers. The only thing right about it is that the contestants are losers.

Because it's a mission documentary (Brooker *sigh* has covered it already) they deliberately choose a bunch of assholes to rip into because of their weight and they get them together to compete in a race, in essence, to see who can lose weight the fastest. It has the classic likeable presenter, that ITV also uses for GMTV, in order to explain some crappy rules that defy logic and reasoning, and she sees these fat people through a series of challenges that are designed to rile them up. The challenges would be relatively difficult for normal people but they make it sound like the big folk are incompetent at everything.

The show wouldn't be complete with the different mood-swings it sets about creating by using clichéd music to present the highs (which are actually just cleverly disguised as high points when in fact they've just synced some feel-good music to someone jerking off over the fact that they have carried some hay for a hunded metres) but also the 'lows' which are so over-the-top it's unreal. Someone faints and they treat is at though they have died, so they get the little interview quips from the other contenders where they are forced to say how worried they were at the fact that Miss Fatty had fallen over, despite not giving two shits and being fully aware of the health and safety crew that were behind them all the time.

To take me beyond hysterics the blobs started explaining what had happened as though I didn't have eyes to see it for myself. Well they should be told that we do have eyes and that we can also read the future seemingly because ITV 'spoil' what happens later before the ad-breaks anyway.

All this yet I've only just scratched the surface of the show.

• Replies 974
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did I mention Life is cancelled btw?

No.

*whimpers*

I watched two seasons of TSCC after reading praise for it on this forum. I'm on the flipside to most people here - I think it deserved to be cancelled. It was decidedly average. (And Manson's acting skills were decidedly below below average)

I agree with it being average. The s2 ending in no way deserves a third season, because another season would just destroy the Terminator universe.

What shows have you watched? I know you recommend The West Wing (still on my list! Will probably fill my summer void with it), and you didn't like... was it Carnivale or Deadwood?

oh yeah!

Ashley's Fall Preview post! New TV gets me wet.*

Cougar Town could be fun, but I think most of the show will be more predictable when not in a 3-min montage. Plus courtney cox thinking she's not hot? That's hot.

hank is just a fraser crane side-show. Doesn't look too original/interesting.

The Middle... Looks hilarious. Definitely watching that.

The Deep End shows some promise, but there's far too much ABC sheeen and american hoope and dreeaams ffs. Plus I could swear they stole their background music from Friday Night Lights.

Happy Town, so long as it's nothing like Harper's Island, should be good purely for its awesome cast... just hope it really has something deeper than "murder of teh week". Doesn't look anything like twin peaks, so it loses points for the 'comparison'.

Shark Tank.. is just Dragon's Den, right? At this point, I stopped watching the vids.

*No joke - i typed 'wtf' instead of 'wet' the first three times I tried to type that.

What shows have you watched? I know you recommend The West Wing (still on my list! Will probably fill my summer void with it), and you didn't like... was it Carnivale or Deadwood?

I watch/watched the same ones most of us do:

24 (Seen up to season 5)

Lost (Seen up to season 4)

Scrubs (Seen up to season 8)

Heroes (Seen up to season 3)

Prison Break (Got bored of writing where I'm up to)

Desperate Housewives

My name is Earl

Malcolm in the Middle

West Wing

Alias

Angel

Buffy the vampire slayer

Firefly

Studio 60

Smallville

Dexter

Reaper

Battlestar Galactica

TSCC

I have Dollhouse lined up to watch next. I prefer watching seasons in their entirety rather than one by one. When we put the kids to bed the wife and I will whack on a couple of eps of whatever then go to bed ourselves. I've watched other stuff but my main favourites are up there.

Edited by Mr_Odwin

*sighs* blank

Welcome to TV fandom. Its a heartbreaking experience.

ABC's new fall previews: http://abc.go.com/fallpreview/index?pn=index

Including Cougar Town (Coutney Cox, Christa Millian), Hank (Kelsey Grammar), The Middle (Neil Flynn), Happy Town (Amy Acker), V (Alan Tudyk and Morena Baccarin).

Not sure how Neil Flynn being on Scrubs and The Middle is going to work out but according to Dushku they hope to have Acker in some capacity for Dollhouse next season. Considering she was shown for about a second on the trailer I get the feeling her role isn't the biggest so hopefully Acker will be back.

Apparently the GG Spinoff isn't dead, and may be brought in as a mid-season replacement next year. Yaay, I think.

Please no. I've had enough with spin offs and Re-makes. Where's the god damn originality gone.

Are there any good SciFi series worth watch...ones that haven't been cancelled?...and I said good, so no Joss Whedon.

Also the new V looks crap, it might not be, but I'm not holding my breath.

Do you have any opinions on Stargate shows as the new one, Stargate Universe will be starting in Aug/Sept I think

Do you have any opinions on Stargate shows as the new one, Stargate Universe will be starting in Aug/Sept I think

The old ones I watched when I caught them. They aren't something I'd go back and watch but I enjoyed the ones I saw.

However, Stargate Universe has perked my interest. I'll definitely be looking out for it.

Are there any good SciFi series worth watch...ones that haven't been cancelled?...and I said good, so no Joss Whedon.

Also the new V looks crap, it might not be, but I'm not holding my breath.

I hear Fringe is everything from awful to bestest evering ever thing. Plus its coming back next season.

Yeah, was just looking at that. Can't seem to find a complete torrent for season 1 with a fair amount of seeders and isn't subbed in foreign. Also an HD version would be good...the search continues.

Fringe was/ is shit.

I watched the pilot and, apart from one of the single best opening scenes I've ever seen, it was balls. Screamed formula from the rooftops and paraded a truly unlovable cast in front of the camera. Nuts to it.

Fringe was/ is shit.

I watched the pilot and, apart from one of the single best opening scenes I've ever seen, it was balls. Screamed formula from the rooftops and paraded a truly unlovable cast in front of the camera. Nuts to it.

....?

Okay well The 4400 is now cancelled but went on for four seasons and the first was good. Not seen the rest but its another potential player.

4400 is awesome. First season is only 6 episodes so it's criminal to not go through that, at least.

It was pretty much finished before Heroes even started, and it did a lot of stuff a lot better.

Premise; 4,400 people over the course of a hundred or so years go missing, then one day a giant ball of light floats over a lake someplace american, and with dozens of police witnesses the lake dissapears and 4,400 people are wandering around, having not aged a day or even noticed the time pass at all...

Then, one by one, they start to notice strange new abilities...

Season 4 finished with such grandoise that I think I made something bleed for the shame of no season 5.