N-Europe

Skate It

auntnadia2003

Well, now there's been an official announcement we can almost fairly talk about the controls. I can't see how this is going to work really - the Nunchuck could serve as one of the analog sticks (not that it does anything else normally) but Skate on the X360 (the version of it I've played) is all about the two analog sticks and nothing else. I'm sure I'll be surprised by EA but until I know more I'm going to remain sceptical.

The DS version, on the other hand… well that could prove to be great!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, now there's been an official announcement we can almost fairly talk about the controls. I can't see how this is going to work really - the Nunchuck could serve as one of the analog sticks (not that it does anything else normally) but Skate on the X360 (the version of it I've played) is all about the two analog sticks and nothing else. I'm sure I'll be surprised by EA but until I know more I'm going to remain sceptical.

Wii Remote motion sensor = Right Analogue stick.

I'm guessing I may have been the only one who kind of laughed when he said:

we have Wii experts, skate experts and a hell of a lot of straight-up talent.

Anyway though, it's great we have confirmation. Never played skate but it was one thta I followed quite closely and now it's coming on to the Wii (and DS). And more confirmed balance board support too. If it all goes well (meaning developer implementation), the balance board definitely looks like a good investment in the long run.

Overall, great stuff!

Tony Hawk better watch his back -- this relatively new skateboarding series gets a fresh take on the Nintendo Wii and DS.

Posted by Libe Goad on Tuesday, May 13, 2008

After unseating the Tony Hawk series last year as the #1 skateboarding game, Skate is making its move to the Nintendo Wii and DS with a new trick in the series called Skate It. The game will bring back the ever-popular 'flick it' controls from the previous Skate games, but the most surprising twist – the game will also work with the Wii Balance Board, the scale-like device that will hit stores on May 19 with Nintendo's Wii Fit. "We just got our hands on [[the balance board]] a few weeks ago," says one of the game's lead developers, "We saw it and said, 'That seems like something we should support because we can get our feet on it."

So far, the Balance Board will allow players to steer the skateboard by leaning in difference directions. Lean back to pull off a manual or forward to pull off a reverse manual. The dev crew promises that you will be able to do more with the Balance Board in the game, but for now it's TBD.

In the meantime, the Wii remote does most of the heavy lifting in Skate It! Press the 'A' button on the Wii remote to push forward and use the 'B' button to grab the board with your hand. Twist the remote left and right to steer the board. The "revolutionary" flick-it controls have been translated to the Wii Remote. Flick the remote up to jump, flick up and around to pull off a 360 move, and a series of other simple gestures will help fill out your skating repertoire. In the DS version of the game, you use the stylus on the touch screen to pull off tricks. On both versions of the game, the controls feel tight and intuitive and after a short learning curve you'll be skating like a regular Tony Hawk, er... pro.

The game will have a new storyline that starts with the fictional town of San Vanelona suffering from "freak disasters" followed by forced evacuation. That means the entire town's at your disposal to pull of sweet tricks while, perhaps, avoiding aliens? Zombies? What we do know is that you'll be able to leave San Van and head out to other skate destinations around the world.

Taken from Gamedaily.

I don't really care about skater games, but I think the idea of playing it like this is class:

4.jpg

Take your sneakers off ya idiot!

:laughing: Nintendo will be sitting in their offices going mad at EA..

and not just because of the trainers.. where is the Wii Remote Jacket :heh:

Anyway, it's an interesting approach and one to keep an eye on.. the balance board could make it rock!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In the new developer interview a worrying revelation came about, and something we've touched on before. But he says the Wii can only detect ONE balance board.

Whats really anoying about the developer was that he was making out it's so much fun to watch people play the game on the board, so it's just taking in turns, but the fact the wii only takes one balance board plays into their design philosphy of watching each other play. BULLSHIT!!! It would obviously be better to play splitscreen but they simply can't do it. Don't fob us off pretending it's a better experience because of it.

Aside from that the game looks fantastic and I can't wait!!

In the new developer interview a worrying revelation came about, and something we've touched on before. But he says the Wii can only detect ONE balance board.

Whats really anoying about the developer was that he was making out it's so much fun to watch people play the game on the board, so it's just taking in turns, but the fact the wii only takes one balance board plays into their design philosphy of watching each other play. BULLSHIT!!! It would obviously be better to play splitscreen but they simply can't do it. Don't fob us off pretending it's a better experience because of it.

Aside from that the game looks fantastic and I can't wait!!

Hmm, it's not really much of an 'issue'. It's not really feasible to expect people to have 2 balance boards...especially when some of us are struggling to even get WiiFit with the board (damn shortages).

I think 4 balance boards in the same room with 4 people would be overkill.

Hmm, it's not really much of an 'issue'. It's not really feasible to expect people to have 2 balance boards...especially when some of us are struggling to even get WiiFit with the board (damn shortages).

I think 4 balance boards in the same room with 4 people would be overkill.

Exactly. Some people don't have enough space for one, so two would mean much crashing/violence.

Ummm, this game maybe great when you get your hands (or feet) on it but the animation looks floaty which for a game that is based on gravity and jumps is damn worrying. Also, it does look just like any another skating game so I wouldn't say it exactly eye catching.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Can't believe no one has posted about this game since August!! I thought us Wii owners wanted core games!?!? :D

Anyways, picked the game yesterday and finally had a go just now for a couple of hours. Firstly, it's hard. Very hard. Possibly too hard, I don't know yet.

But it's fun, and when you nail something it's satisfying. The thing I can't get used to is turning, it takes a while for him to start turning and then when he does he turns a lot. There's a lot of tuning in the game so I may go wild with that and see if I can get something I'm comfortable with. Not even tried it with nunchuck yet, I got it for the balance board and I'll fight through the pain.

Just wondered if anyone else got it for xmas or picked it up.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!