Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Sonic Unleashed

mcj metroid

they're SOOOOOO not seeing my money if Wii gets a PS2 port.

The lack of respect from third party's is completely ridiculous.Wii could handle that, they just take us for granted after SatSC sold 1.2 million.

arghhh.

Quite true third party's seem to think the wii couldnt handle a port of xbox360/ps3 game and that the wii can handle ps2 port.

Example of 360/PS3 port.

On Wii, it's always a gamble as to what exactly you're getting. Is it going to be a PS2 port? Is it worth your time and cash? Wall-E is a pretty strong title as far as all that is concerned, as the game is actually ported down from the 360 and PS3 versions, and not brought up from the PS2 build of the game, which is actually very different from what from THQ and developer Heavy Iron Studios has told us. The game is laid out in a typical third person action/platformer design, having players use both Wii-mote and nunchuk to control Wall-E, using his main function of block building to puzzle solve, and a few hilarious animations for scooting around the world and rolling in block form after jumping via Monkey Ball. The game's environments are pretty sizable, showing that larger worlds can be done on Wii, and the fact that the game borrows levels and assets from the 360 build is a great testament to how well Wii can hang in there with the "big boys," even if the textures are scaled down, poly count is lower, and draw distance isn't quite what you'd get on the bigger systems. Some of the in-game effects – such as the sand storm in the first level – are pretty impressive, and having the benefit of all the "core SKU" animations and environments really helps the production.

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite true third party's seem to think the wii couldnt handle a port of xbox360/ps3 game and that the wii can handle ps2 port.

It really is pathetic, as soon as you see a PS2 version announced alongside the others, you know the Wii's getting a port of it!

There's not really any reason to buy the Wii version if you have a 360 or PS3 aswell, it's not as though SatSR controls made anything any better!

You may aswell go with the great visuals and solid analogue stick.

Example of 360/PS3 port.

wall-e-20080402041909542-000.jpg

Awesome! That's how you port a game!

Example of 360/PS3 port.

I'll bet some do know, they just can't be arsed. "bad graphics are expected on the Wii anyway, why bother, gamers aren't buying Wii's for graphics" or whatever and "let's do a PS2 version, just it alone wouldn't be justified anymore, but we have Wii to take up it's build and... chances are it'll run it at 60 frames without any optimization too).

Going by the comments, that game is a pretty good example "impressive sand storm in-game effects" they had to rewrite that to the TEV pipeline then. thing is, with PS2 excuse a lot of developers just jump that shader capability on the Wii and go for the excuses and the notion that they want to give... that Wii is in the same league of a PS2... and it just isn't.

There's not really any reason to buy the Wii version if you have a 360 or PS3 aswell, it's not as though SatSR controls made anything any better!
They did for me, but I'm not putting up with being treated as a second rate customer.

Actually they did, at least for me. I wouldn't enjoy the game half as much if it didn't have motion controls.

Actually they did, at least for me. I wouldn't enjoy the game half as much if it didn't have motion controls.
Fair enough!

Actually yeah the motion controls were quite fun, I think it was just something about Sonics movements in the game that I didn't really like. It all felt a bit awkward at times!

Fair enough!

Actually yeah the motion controls were quite fun, I think it was just something about Sonics movements in the game that I didn't really like. It all felt a bit awkward at times!

Yeah it wasn't quite there, but it was pretty good for such an early title. I suppose that if they use the same kind of controls for this one, they're improved.

It really is pathetic, as soon as you see a PS2 version announced alongside the others, you know the Wii's getting a port of it!

Example of 360/PS3 port.

wall-e-20080402041909542-000.jpg

Awesome! That's how you port a game!

When the PS2 dies we might see more of that:heh:

The PS2 sadly might never "die" until the end of this "next-gen". The PSP and Wii are going to be around for many years to come and due to that fact developers are likely to continue to release versions of titles on those systems on PS2 to continue support and make more money on what is still the most successful system in the world.

I really wouldn't worry about the PS2 ruining things for the Wii for too much longer. Its hardly shifting any software anymore and its not going to be profitable for too much longer. Expect the rubbish to be Wii only pretty soon.

I'm gonna paste here what I commented in the main site:

The idea I get from this is that someone (probably the dudes behind Sonic Rush) made the core engine and gameplay with the decent levels Sariachan talked about, and then Sonic Team limits itself to stuffing the game with all the crap we dislike. Shitty new characters, shitty old characters, gimmick gameplay like this werewolf stuff, the boat and rock collecting in Sonic Rush 2 (I haven't finished this game, I just couldn't dig through the hardened layers of faeces to get to the core of gold), the theme levels they ripped of from Mario (the original level design was what it differentiated Sonic from every other Mario clone), and the awful storyline! I'll never forget something like:

"There's a tear in the space-time continuum... and it's expanding! If it

continues to expand... the fabric of reality will become altered!"

Anyway, hope dies last...

ONM infomation

Worried about the next, decent looking game in the Sonic series, Sonic Unleashed? Why wouldn't you be? The last game on Xbox 360 and PS3 was after all, absolute pap.

Reassuringly, the game's lead designer Yoshihisa Hashimoto at Sonic Team has cut ties with the badly received last adventure, telling our on-off friends at Official Nintendo Magazine (they've stopped lending us Wii Remotes) that Sonic Unleashed "has no relation" with the last game.

"As a development team, we originally started off this project planning to create Sonic Adventure 3", Hashimoto revealed to the magazine. "In our minds, this game will have more in common with the older Sonic Adventure series. It has no relation to Sonic the Hedgehog [on PS3/Xbox 360] or Sonic and the Secret Rings".

Sonic Unleashed, he went on, has been developed from scratch and "will purely be Sonic's new product. Of course, players will still be able to enjoy Sonic's symbolic actions such as Spin attack and Homing Attack".

The new game, which will be receiving versions on both Wii, Xbox 360 and PS3, looks like a long, long awaited return to speed-based platforming - well, apart from the fact that at night Sonic turns into a werehog.

In this form he's "a slightly slower and yet more agile beast. Where Sonic dodges past obstacles, Were-Sonic manhandles them out of the way and can toss enemies around like nobody's business", Official Nintendo Magazine explains. He also traverses levels by swinging on overly-long arms instead of running..

The new game, which will be receiving versions on both Wii, Xbox 360 and PS3, looks like a long, long awaited return to speed-based platforming - well, apart from the fact that at night Sonic turns into a werehog.
^ funny how they avoided to say PS2!

anyway, ONM seems like they've seen the trailer we did and spoke with them by the phone or something, no Wii specific details, no graphics opinion (hence, they didn't saw it, or play it I guess), no news on extra content for us for being in disadvantage for no HD... In short, bullcrap.

more detailed information about sonic unleased :

1. The game started development as Sonic Adventure 3
  2. Were-Sonic will be slower, stronger, but more agile. Access new areas, only playable at night.
  3. Sonic avoids obstacles, Were-Sonic destroies them, and uses his long arms to move, similar to an ape.
  4. Wii version will be a graphical showcase for the system.
  5. Wii version is the original platform. The PS2 version is a downgraded version of Wii version, and Xbox 360 and PS3 versions will be a graphically updated version.
  6. It will be played with the nunchuck, not the Wiimote sideways as in Secret Rings.
  7. Big budget game, similiar in scope with the two Sonic Adventure games.
  8. Story: Dr. Eggman manages to defeat Super Sonic, causing Sonic to be seriously altered in health. As soon as night falls, Sonic transforms into an immensly powerful beast.
  9. Waresonic will not be evil, but rather a 'hulk' version of Sonic. Sonic mantains his normal good guy personality.
  10. Tails, Amy, Knuckles and Shadow are in the game, but only as part of the story.
  11. Speed Boost from Sonic Rush appears in Sonic Unleashed.
  12. New moves include Sonic Drift (short sharp turn when moving at high speeds) and Quick Step (from Sonic and the Secret Rings, avoid obstacles in the way)
  13. The game is designed by Yashihita Hasimoto (Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic Advance, Sonic Pinball Party, Sonic Adventure DX).
  14. Developed by Sonic Team of Japan, not a worldwide collaboration as previosly rumored.
  15. No official footage from the Wii version on the internet so far.
  16. No relation with Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 or Sonic and the Secret Rings.

Ace detials if it's true. Great to hear they're treating the Wii well.
Still they say the others are "upgraded versions" and started of by showing them, hinting that the "supposed" upgrades are farther along than the Wii build!

F*ck them, better than nothing, BUT I want extra content.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!