Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Is this guy an Asshole

dwarf

Is this guy an asshole or just clever?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Is this guy an asshole or just clever?

• He's an asshole.
    • He's clever.
    • He's a bit of both.

Is this guy an asshole or just clever?

I'm talking about the gameshow Golden Balls, weekdays ITV. Basically at the final round of the gameshow the 2 players have accumalated a large ca$h prize of 40,000 quid. Then they both have a choice on whether to split or steal.

If both choose split, they both win 20,000

If one chooses split and the other chooses steal, the one person who steals wins 40,000 and the other person gets fukd.

If both steal both win jack all.

So basically these 2 guys are high-fiving each other for picking the right golden balls to win loads of money. They're both cheering and shaking each others hands and then after totalling 40,000 they have a short discussion and they both handshake to split the money between them.

At the end the younger of the men steals 40,000 and the other guy looks like he's pissed. (who wouldnt'?)

Is the person who stole an asshole or just clever?

My initial reaction to this was that the guy was an arsehole, but then after thought I'm stuck on what to think. If you steal basically you can't really lose unless the other person does the same and you have much better odds of going home with something; for the simple fact that if you split you go home with less or nothing, if you dont you get more or nothing.

Also if you're at home then its easy to say that you'd split, but if so much money was at stake would you go for it even if it meant everyone hated you for a bit afterwards?

(I should have included an option 'What the hell were you watching Golden Balls for?')

He's both, of course it's abit unfair to say one thing and then do another, but then he's clever enough to realise that people can be taken for a fool.

I would say spilt, 20k is more than enough for my liking and is alot nicer to take than take 40k and feel guilty.

Yeah that's not the whole point.

Would you have done that. Friends would know if you played it, would they say 'that was quality' or would they say 'thats bloody harsh'?

Erm it is. The game is based on deception, he decieved the person and won a ton of cash. Simple.

He is in no way an arsehole, he was playing the came well, and saw his chance to win alot of money.

That's the whole point of the game...

Cube is right, it's a classic scenario that demonstrates and quantifies "cheating behaviour". This is a very important part of social ecology and social structure in many animals. Supergrunch or someone will probably be able to quote the full test.

Most important peice of info is whether these guys are going to see each other again? I guess if the answer is no then you could also argue that the audience will see him around or talk about him so by stealing he actually damges his social standing/links. But lets face it, who really gives a fuck about people anymore?

I guess you're all right, but I still think he's a bit of an asshole. OK he wouldnt see him and yes, in the context of the game everyone would have chosen steal, but this questions human morals.

If everyone chose steal, then nobody would win anything.

It is a massively flawed show, there should at least be a pre-caution ball or something that you use if you think someone will steal.

He's just clever, well, within the sense of the game. He's done nothing thats against the rules, I don't know how you could even entertain the notion that he's an asshole. At the end of the day he played a much better game than the other guy and came out of it with more money.

Good on him if you ask me.

There is, the other steal ball.

That doesn't bag you any cash, if there was a precaution ball that could make you win the money if you thought the other person would steal, then there should be one.

I personally think that the guy/girl who promises to split with the other contestant then tricks them and steals the whole prize is an asshole really. What i hate the look of is the face of the person who stole it all, half the time they have a smug look on their face which says it all really doesn't it.

I feel sorry for the contestant who put the split ball up and i half expect them to hit the other one, but the one who split isn't greedy like the one who stole and sometimes you do see a face of guilt from the contestant who stole.

It is these types of gameshows i don't like if one of them is greedy, and i always like it when both split the pot.

I personally think that the guy/girl who promises to split with the other contestant then tricks them and steals the whole prize is an asshole really. What i hate the look of is the face of the person who stole it all, half the time they have a smug look on their face which says it all really doesn't it.

I feel sorry for the contestant who put the split ball up and i half expect them to hit the other one, but the one who split isn't greedy like the one who stole and sometimes you do see a face of guilt from the contestant who stole.

It is these types of gameshows i don't like if one of them is greedy, and i always like it when both split the pot.

I like it when they agree to split, then both steal. Priceless.

hes clever

he didnt know the guy hes never gunna see him again. He played the game and got a extra 20k instead of if he had split.

good for him

the other guy? well gutted basically he should have known not to trust anyone while playing that game