NEurope
MadDog

Formula 1 2008

Much as I like Massa, it would really be awesome to see Kubica take it. The guys awesome, the team is awesome, and it would be great to see. I mean, how many points behind was Kimi at this stage? Can't be that much less.

I watched the race last night, one advantage of being in Canada I thought was no James Allen commentating. Imagine my surprise as TSN (the Canadian sports channel) proceeded to just show the ITV broadcast. Great race, Alonso was fantastic, surely these last 2 races will convince him to stay at Renault for next season.

It's still Hamiltons to lose however and I fully expect to all but sew it up next weekend. Would love there to be 1 or 2 points in it after next weekend, however.

I'd prefer Kubica to take it over Massa and Hamilton, but both of them not finishing the next two races is as unlikely as it's ever gonna get!

It's still Hamiltons to lose however and I fully expect to all but sew it up next weekend.
Well he hasn't made it easy for himself!

IMO today was his best chance to help secure the title but he threw it away!

Raikkonen won in China last year, which means Ferrari will be incredibly competitive there next weekend.

And Massa is an almost certainty to win in Brazil!

I watched the race last night, one advantage of being in Canada I thought was no James Allen commentating. Imagine my surprise as TSN (the Canadian sports channel) proceeded to just show the ITV broadcast. Great race, Alonso was fantastic, surely these last 2 races will convince him to stay at Renault for next season.

It's still Hamiltons to lose however and I fully expect to all but sew it up next weekend. Would love there to be 1 or 2 points in it after next weekend, however.

They do the same thing with the Australian broadcast, they buy in the British race commentary. I suppose it makes sense where it's more of a minority sport.

I agree the apparent progress made by Renault near the end of the season has been remarkable. It's clearly not just fortunate race results either, judging by their recent practice and quali results. Alonso might still be shrewd to go with Honda who I would expect to have a development advantage over the pack going into 09, but why try and fix something that's getting less and less broken?

Also agree that Hamilton is still the man to beat. He had a bad race clearly, but Massa also failed to make this the game changer it could've been. Both are clearly keenly feeling the pressure.

Massa deserves the title over Lewis, especiall after Singapore and Hungary (two races he should have one but lost becaue of things that weren't his fault). That said, even he's had an up and down season.

Driver of the season though is definately Alonso, he's been on the limit every race which is very reminiscent of what schumacher could do in an uncompetitive car (the 05 season where he finished 3rd overall). Kubica would be a close 2nd alongside Massa. I don't think lewis deserves the title at all tbh, on the days when he's been great the team have made some bad decisions. Oh, and there's the fact that under pressure Hamilton can't do a thing.

Thats the team fault on those things, well Hungary couldn't be helped, so you have to blame the team for Singapore

Massa deserves the title over Lewis, especiall after Singapore and Hungary (two races he should have one but lost becaue of things that weren't his fault). That said, even he's had an up and down season.

Driver of the season though is definately Alonso, he's been on the limit every race which is very reminiscent of what schumacher could do in an uncompetitive car (the 05 season where he finished 3rd overall). Kubica would be a close 2nd alongside Massa. I don't think lewis deserves the title at all tbh, on the days when he's been great the team have made some bad decisions. Oh, and there's the fact that under pressure Hamilton can't do a thing.

Hang on, isn't it a little unfair to say that Massa should deserve the title because he's lost races, due to things that weren't his fault. Yet, you say that when Hamilton has been on form, the team have made bad decisions. So, wouldn't that also be classed as "not his fault?"

Also, take into account that Hamilton is still very, very young. In his first season, he narrowly lost out on the last day. Now, he's got the chance to win it, again. I think the lad deserves credit.

I think it's still often forgotten that the pressure faced and level of skill required by Hamilton so early on in his F1 career is almost unprecedented. His mistakes in Japan betrayed his age, but he's grown a lot this season and what doesn't kill him will only make him stronger.

Who's to say who deserves the title more? Massa has punched above his weight since it should be Raikonen who should be leading Ferrari's charge for the title, Hamilton has also shown a lot of excellent overtaking moves and an aggressive racing style much like Shumacher. Both have had there ups and downs this season. Either will be a worthy winner in my eyes, there have been a few great drives by a variety of racers this season, such as Vettel, Kubica, Piquet and Barrichello to name a few.

Also, take into account that Hamilton is still very, very young. In his first season, he narrowly lost out on the last day. Now, he's got the chance to win it, again. I think the lad deserves credit.
To be honest, I think the lad needs to have the taste of driving a Williams or Red Bull. The McLaren has been a luxury seat for two years for him.

I'm not saying he's a bad driver, but I think he's overrated. Champions like Alonso and Schumacher could make a bad team (both happened to be the Benetton/Renault team) a champion. I very much doubt Hamilton could do the same. At the mediocre teams they wouldn't show off his dad's face on worldwide TV as much anyway.

Everyone knows Lewis isn't overrated though. He edged out Alonso, a reigning twice world champion, in an identical car in his debut season, and was extremely unlucky to loose the championship by a single point. How could he possibly do so if he wasn't obvious championship material? Look at Kovalinen by comparison, struggling to score podium finishes.

To be honest, I think the lad needs to have the taste of driving a Williams or Red Bull. The McLaren has been a luxury seat for two years for him.

I'm not saying he's a bad driver, but I think he's overrated. Champions like Alonso and Schumacher could make a bad team (both happened to be the Benetton/Renault team) a champion. I very much doubt Hamilton could do the same. At the mediocre teams they wouldn't show off his dad's face on worldwide TV as much anyway.

But, it's all well and good saying stuff like that, because that's pure speculation. It's like saying Steven Gerrard would flop if he played for Manchester United, or something. Whether Hamilton is in a good team and racing well, or the big fish in a small pond, you can only argue with what you see in front of you.

He's a talented driver, and he is still learning. To be honest, if he wasn't being touted by the media every 5 seconds, would he be getting anywhere near half the stick he's been receiving? Of course he wouldn't. Its all part of the curse of being British. If he was Romanian, we'd all be praising him and saying he had an even brighter future ahead of him. He's British, so every single move will be scrutinised. His mistakes will be magnified about ten fold, and even when he does win, he's won with a "good team and a great car."

I feel for the lad.

I have to say, it's typical British attitude that is making Hamilton into a monster.

We seem to build up strong and successful characters, only to shoot them down when we are bored of them later.

What we seem to like is the big-hearted loser, the guy who gives it his all but never quite measures up. People like Frank Bruno, who was a joke as a boxer, but a really lovely guy.

Then we get Hamilton who is an actual contender, and we have no idea what to do, so we attack him.

I smell bullshit, cast your mind back to the British Grand Prix, the one in the pissing rain, there yet? Hamilton was the only one who could keep his car on the track, where as certain other Brazilian drivers spun 6 times. Before this starts up unnecessary bickering, I like Massa, i think he is a talented driver - just a bit limited in his ability. He only seems to be able to only win on certain tracks, and he seems to have no ability to come from behind through the field. On the other hand Hamilton is far too impulsive sometimes, he could probably have had this championship wrapped up by now if he'd thought about some of the moves he'd made in races, and played the percentages.

Whoever you like, it's definitely been one of the best season's in a long time, with so many different winners this year, it can only mean good things for the future of the sport.

Whoever you like, it's definitely been one of the best season's in a long time, with so many different winners this year, it can only mean good things for the future of the sport.
I'm looking forward to next year already. If Alonso continues his form into next year at Renault, and Kubica retakes his pace, next year we'll have five or six contesters for the title...

It's quite bizarre how Alonso struggled to score points halfway through the year, and now he can win races. Freaking Piquet managed to outpace Raikkonen at Fuji even. Renault's back on track.

I'm looking forward to next year already. If Alonso continues his form into next year at Renault, and Kubica retakes his pace, next year we'll have five or six contesters for the title...

It's quite bizarre how Alonso struggled to score points halfway through the year, and now he can win races. Freaking Piquet managed to outpace Raikkonen at Fuji even. Renault's back on track.

Yeah definitely, although a lot will depend on how the teams get their heads around all the new changes for next year, it's probably the biggest leap of changes in a long time.

Alonso is the best driver out there, him in a Ferrari...

He would be immense

I smell bullshit, cast your mind back to the British Grand Prix, the one in the pissing rain, there yet? Hamilton was the only one who could keep his car on the track, where as certain other Brazilian drivers spun 6 times. Before this starts up unnecessary bickering, I like Massa, i think he is a talented driver - just a bit limited in his ability. He only seems to be able to only win on certain tracks, and he seems to have no ability to come from behind through the field. On the other hand Hamilton is far too impulsive sometimes, he could probably have had this championship wrapped up by now if he'd thought about some of the moves he'd made in races, and played the percentages.

What's that got to do with pressure? He was leading in the best car to be in during a wet race. Felipe had a bad race but the Ferrari was a dog in the wet back then; no temperature in the tires at all.

When Lewis has been under pressure (China, Brazil from last year, and Fuji this year) he's been awful and made bad decisions.

Oh well. I don't get how Lewis is so incredibly popular. It's like 'he's winning so we love him'. All he does is talk arrogant bullshit ('I'm never getting overtaken on the outside ever again' and 'I've learn from last year, I'm gonna race for points' come to mind) and he constantly does exactly the opposite of what he says he wants.

There's a little something called naivety. Whether you love him or hate him you can't deny he will be a champion.

There's a little something called naivety. Whether you love him or hate him you can't deny he will be a champion.

Hopefully not this season.

Sure.

Doesn't mean we have to love him just because he's British.

Good news, the French Motorsport Federation has decided not to hold the French GP next year. One less craptacular car procession to sit through. If there are any alien mother ships who want to abduct the Hungary circuit now, we'd all be most obliged. Maybe Valencia will sink into the sea or something if we're really lucky.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/71421

I don't see this as good news. It would be aweful if we had a Paris street circuit in its place in a few years time!

France was a traditional racers circuit. It had its processional races, but also threw up some quite interesting ones.

So Canada can no longer afford it, France can no longer afford it! Wouldn't be surprised to see Austrailia go in the next year or so aswell!

T'is a shame!

Also in the news:

Champions call for consistent decisions

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?id=44292

Recent world champions Kimi Raikkonen and Fernando Alonso say they are both concerned about the perceived inconsistencies in stewards' decisions, and have called for former drivers to be involved in the stewarding process.

Raikkonen ready to support Massa

http://www.itv-f1.com/news_article.aspx?id=44295

Kimi Raikkonen says he accepts that he might have to help Ferrari team-mate Felipe Massa's title bid during this weekend's Chinese Grand Prix, but said no decision on team orders will be taken until the race is underway.

Alonso hopes he can help Massa

http://www.itv-f1.com/news_article.aspx?id=44291

Fernando Alonso has admitted that he would be happy if his results helped Felipe Massa beat Lewis Hamilton to the title - but says his preference is for his friend Robert Kubica to win the championship.

Kubica hits out at 'dangerous' moves

http://www.itv-f1.com/news_article.aspx?id=44294

Robert Kubica says he stands by his recent criticisms of other drivers' track manners, but denied his comments were specifically directed at Lewis Hamilton.