NEurope
DiemetriX

Wii Freeloader Thread - FAQ & Info in First Post

That's for sure. They blocked the GC game's freeloader on the Wii so I don't see why they wouldn't block this one. But at least one could ignore incoming updates from Nintendo untill Smash comes out here in Europe.

About the smash update, the thing is: I don't remember well, but I think that, for example with Mario Strikers and Metroid Prime 3, the update that comes with the game modifies something in the firmware in order for the game to be able to use resources from the Wii (supposedly internet related stuff). So, say even if you can boot up Smash Brawl bypassing the update, will it work properly? Or maybe it will work but then it will bug up when you try to go online or something.

Time will tell.

How the hell did I manage to miss this awesome news earlier.

A welcome return to dealing with the awesome guys at VGP beckons (at least until Nintendo decide to either brick our Wiis or block functionality).

My first purchase has gotta be this thing :-

mlbpowerproswiiboxart16di5.jpg

Closely followed by the proper version of NMH. I am one of the few that is not fussed in the slightest about Brawl.

That's for sure. They blocked the GC game's freeloader on the Wii so I don't see why they wouldn't block this one. But at least one could ignore incoming updates from Nintendo untill Smash comes out here in Europe.

About the smash update, the thing is: I don't remember well, but I think that, for example with Mario Strikers and Metroid Prime 3, the update that comes with the game modifies something in the firmware in order for the game to be able to use resources from the Wii (supposedly internet related stuff). So, say even if you can boot up Smash Brawl bypassing the update, will it work properly? Or maybe it will work but then it will bug up when you try to go online or something.

Time will tell.

They didn't block it, they just made the disc load faster so you didnt have enough time to change discs. For all we know it had no relevance to the freeloader, it was just a side effect.

I gonna wait a few weeks first before I get this. tempted though as I could finally get Guitar Hero III for Japanese Wii.. :)

I gonna wait a few weeks first before I get this. tempted though as I could finally get Guitar Hero III for Japanese Wii.. :)

yeah I'm defo gonna wait because if they end up blocking will be a total waste of money.

People keep go on about Nintendo blocking the GC Freeloader, Datel made a GC one for the Wii a while ago and that hasn't been blocked. And I doubt they're gonna release a product spending several resources and money on a product that will be useless in a matter of days.

They didn't block it, they just made the disc load faster so you didnt have enough time to change discs. For all we know it had no relevance to the freeloader, it was just a side effect.

I didn't know about that. Let's hope they can't block it then.

My interest in the Freeloader at present is NMH. While I love Smash Bros and would happily castrate myself for it, the update problem is too big to shy away from.

That said, has anyone actually ordered NMH? Any idea how long it'll take to ship?

My interest in the Freeloader at present is NMH. While I love Smash Bros and would happily castrate myself for it, the update problem is too big to shy away from.

That said, has anyone actually ordered NMH? Any idea how long it'll take to ship?

That's how i feel, i would totally think about getting a Wii again if i was sure this would last. But i doubt it will :(

Apparently Nintendo haven't locked out the 'old' GC Freeloader for Wii yet. Its been a couple of months since that was released.

Locking out a disc is actually a lot harder than it sounds...

I may order mine later today , or I may just order MLB Power Pro first as that is slightly cheaper (just in case the thing doesn't work).

If you ordered from VGP , in my experience it usually takes 4-5 days to get here although I have had stuff within 3 days from them previously (which in some cases beats our own 1st class service :indeed: ).

Apparently Nintendo haven't locked out the 'old' GC Freeloader for Wii yet. Its been a couple of months since that was released.

Locking out a disc is actually a lot harder than it sounds...

Yea that's what I looked into earlier. They haven't locked it out and them trying to block the Freeloader will be hard.

Saying that, mostly Europeaners will be getting this, and from the looks of things in the past, they don't care for Europe so maybe NoA and NoJ won't care for this since either way, there games are still being being bought, just from a different region.

That's what I like to think anyway :heh:

Dont believe Datel till the product is in the shop. thats my experience with GC freeloader. I remember buying some USA games ready for my preorder which was then continuously delayed....

Anyway, with online play regional and to avoid lag issues, i am not importing. Imagine not being able to play in the N-europe tornaments ..... Furthermore, I want to be able to use nintendo firmware updates for the forthcoming itunes and video service

If smash is confirmed working, i'm buying it from the US. Fuck Nintendo.

I want to be able to use nintendo firmware updates for the forthcoming itunes and video service

Source? O.o

If smash is confirmed working, i'm buying it from the US. Fuck Nintendo.

Amen to that, and hmm wouldn't a US version work like a PAL version anyway? I can't really see any real drawbacks...

Amen to that, and hmm wouldn't a US version work like a PAL version anyway? I can't really see any real drawbacks...

isnt online play regional and based on the discs settings? i may have made a wild assumption in my previous post (unlike me!)

EDIT:

But because this form of communication is greatly affected by the distance between you and your opponent, your brawls may not run smoothly if you’re really far apart—like, for instance, if you’re connecting between Japan and America.

The more distant you are, the worse your connection becomes, and the slower it feels. I apologize, but I hope you understand

not sure if you are forced to conncect to your disc regions server... but something worth checking

Just import Smash, play it for months before the rest of Europe, then when the EU version comes out buy that and sell the US copy (and the freeloader if you really want) on eBay.

Just import Smash, play it for months before the rest of Europe, then when the EU version comes out buy that and sell the US copy (and the freeloader if you really want) on eBay.

That's what I'm doing. Fuck Nintendo indeed.