NEurope
DiemetriX

Wii Freeloader Thread - FAQ & Info in First Post

Now that all of the possible "problems" (or at least the ones I can think of) have been confirmed false, I'm getting really hyped about being able to play Smash Bros very, very soon.

The thought of playing it within the next few weeks. Awesome

If we don't have a date by Monday or something i'm gonna phone them and ask when it'll be out. Because Brawl freakin soon :D

Also, why didn't they ask for a release date :heh:

Someone on GAF asked when it was released and they where told they would begin shipping them on Monday. Ill try to find the post and post it in here.

I read somewhere they were dispatching March 4th, but then again looking at previous examples it may very well be delayed. But, if the guy who phoned them is to be believed, it sounds like they have a final working version, so you never know...

I guess I'll believe it when I play it!

Yea I read the Mrach 4th date but i'm not taking it as a confirmation or anything just incase, though he did say that it would be shipped on Mon/Tue sometime. If ti does it's a huge bonus cause then I might have Smash in around 8/9 days.

But yea sounds like the final version so i'm hoping it's got a release date soon.

I remember sitting with the NTSC version of Animal Crossing waiting for my freeloader to arrive. Maaaan that was frustrating. Datel promised so many different dates that it became inconclusive to fathom when it was actually coming.

Therefore sitting on the fence with this one may be the best bet too.

My main reason for waiting is that updates can render this obsolete. If only some titles didn't prompt updates (can these even be skipped when on the disk?) Otherwise, for early released games and better prices, it can't be bettered really and sacrificing an update is well worth it.

Datel's headquaters is in my town, i might pop over there and see what they can tell me.

Great news this! Looks like i'll have a Wii quite soon (festival ticket dependant, im not made of money :p)

Well I was gonna phone them but at £1/minute i'm not :heh:

They said e-mails answered in 24hrs though. That's easier...

Will we not need to update anyway to actually run Brawl? This is assuming the latest one was for dual layer discs.

I'm getting pretty excited about this as well. I hope if it is released this week someone will be able to try it. (maybe with the Japanese version of Brawl) The second I hear this works, I'm definitely importing as well.

I really hope this ships this week , as I can't wait to try it either.

Not so much for Brawl but more so for those obscure US sports titles that never get a look in on the PAL release schedule. Already excited about the possibility of playing a decent baseball game and the likes of NCAA '09 when it arrives later in the year.

Will we not need to update anyway to actually run Brawl? This is assuming the latest one was for dual layer discs.

Nope. That ability was always there, any drive can read any format generally speaking.

3.2 did this:

The new update allows the Disc Channel to display if a Wii Update (the new channels that are coming for Mario Kart and WiiFit, for example?) is available on the game disc that is inserted. And the update improves the system's performance overall. Which is always a good thing.

still there might be a update in the game it self like there was in metroid also Nintendo can always do an update if they like to and destroy the freeloader once again.

I wish Nintendo would do a update and make the Wii region free once again like they said it was going to be

I'll be ordering that whenever mine is shipped. No way am i buying our borked version of the game...

Anyone else expecting a statement from Nintendo this week about this?

I think Nintendo will lay down the law quite honestly! I blame Nintendo for this, as they take too long to release games here, we're wouldn't need people creating a disc to play import games if they just released games like Sony and Microsoft.

Lets just hope they don't close down our favourite importers,ey? I'm slightly worried but happy for you guys at the sametime.

Anyone else expecting a statement from Nintendo this week about this?

I'm crossing my fingers that it'll force them to announce a PAL release sooner than later.

Knowing NOE of course, they probably haven't even realised that Freeloader exists.. :indeed:

I'm crossing my fingers that it'll force them to announce a PAL release sooner than later.

Knowing NOE of course, they probably haven't even realised that Freeloader exists.. :indeed:

We literally have to get through this week and then the people with USA Wii's and the Freeloader can get Brawl, but it's 5 days for Nintendo to do something!

Just ordered my Freeloader from CodeJunkies. And a copy of Brawl from VG+. All in for £40. Easily worth a punt IMO. If it does not work, i reckon i could recoup the costs through ebay.

thats exactly why i did it as you said can sell on ebay if doesnt work.

a chance to play smash bros bout 6 months early worth the chance to me.

After reading this:

ATTENTION EVERYONE

I have actually had a LONG conversation with one of the codejunkies technical experts over the phone yesterday, when I ordered freeloader (the phone call at their expense - they called me back!)

This is what freeloader does, confirmed by codejunkies staff, who actually investigated my questions when I asked about it, TESTED it, and then called me back:

• WII FREELOADER IGNORES ALL REGION-CODING.

• WII FREELOADER IGNORES ALL WII UPDATES ON A WII GAME DISK (INCLUDING SUPER SMASH BROS. BRAWL).

• WII FREELOADER IGNORES THE NECESSITY OF CHECKING FOR GAME UPDATES; THUS ALLOWING THE GAME FILES TO BE PLAYED SAFELY WITHOUT ANY RISK OF BRICKING YOUR WII CONSOLE.

• CODEJUNKIES STAFF HAVE CONFIRMED TO ME, BY PHONE, THAT IF A WII FIRMWARE UPDATE SOMEHOW BLOCKS THE WII FREELOADER, THEY WILL SEND YOU AN UPDATED WII FREELOADER FREE OF CHARGE WHEN ONE IS CREATED, AS LONG AS YOU HAVE PROOF OF PURCHASE OF YOUR ORIGINAL COPY OF WII FREELOADER.

Hope this helps everyone!

MESSAGE RESPONSES

link2u wrote:

ok i really need this question answered i have the latest update for the wii will freeloader work do you think ?

Yes, it will.

Shortay wrote:

But surely Nintendo wouldn't actually break someone's Wii just because they used a freeloader? It's not like it's illegal or anything... yet.

They can legally block modchips in europe, but I do not believe they can legally block software (a.k.a. freeloader discs)

lyingthroughyour wrote:

Sounds good, but until someone updates their wii and confirms that their wii and freeloader survived the update it just sounds too risky.

Codejunkies has confirmed it's completely safe because wii freeloade loads the game file, ignoring all updates on a game disk.

LordYoshiman wrote:

If it DOES bypass the updates, Nintendo could change the format of some games in the near future making them unplayable even with a Freeloader (they did so in the SNES era with Super Mario RPG by making it unplayable using region-changing devices). So you would be spending over £50 on one game.

It bypasses all updates and plays the raw game file safely, with the wifi and everything safe - this has been confirmed 100% by codejunkies to me.

superh wrote:

Brawl will come with an update just like metroid prime 3 and super mario galaxy. It will not work

Yes, it comes with an update, but use of the wii freeloader allows that update to be ignored.

Peppyman wrote:

So moving swiftly on....I've gone ahead and order the freeloader and smash bros. After reading all the pages of this thread I'm very skeptical about what will happen once I run the freeloader.

You have every right to be skeptical, but it is unneeded, as codejunkies hae tested the Freeloader with a japanese version (with update on disk) with BOTH european, and american consoles.

[/Quote]

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6978&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=125

I preordered my Freeloader from Gameseek and Brawl from VGP. I'm willing to take the risk, but it looks like it could work.

has anyone opted for No More Heroes here?

I will be ordering my copy from VGP as soon as the freeloader ships , there is no way I am going to spend out on the edited-to-crap watered down PAL version.

Has anyone ordered the free-loader from codejunkies yet?

On the checkout section theres something I dont understand under the ship to section

em, first MI:

Last: