Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

The Cycle of Cool

ReZourceman

Isnt it strange how things go in and out of popularity?

I bring up this point today after thinking about it for a few days when it dawned on me regarding (in this case) a word.

Now, when I was younger this word was used quite often as the in word, around the mid-90s I suppose, but this word has come back as cool, and it is "Rubbish"

To say that word it is now cool or "in" as some of you may say. This has been an approximate 10 year cycle.

Can you think of anything similar to this?

I was debating whether this topic was going to be about fads or a really awesome bike or some sort whilst it was loading.

As for 'Rubbish', I didn't know it went out of fashion, though I will admit I have started using it alot more in the last 5 years, cos a mate of ours at school used to say it alot in his strange accent that sounded a bit west country farmer(he was not from a family of west country farmers, and is in fact half belgian, which is why we found it amusing), so we used to say 'Rubbesh' alot to each other, and now we use it alot.

I've also wondered for a while, is the word cool actually still cool? I still use it, but thats cos I'm from the 90s cool generation, I don't have much interaction with younger kids, but I wonder if they still use it. My other favourite words are awesome, wicked sometimes(has this gone out too?), brilliant, excellent, and sometimes even bad. Then some other general slang which isn't really words.

I've been using rubbish all my life, tend to use it as not to swear. (ie at work/around kids)

But yeah using retro words can be fun, in the hope people will say them. Not heard any of my friends say "punch snow" yet. Keep trying. Although they often now say -sies (which yes was Scrubs but ah well)

I have a few oddities..

"thats relay shem" (more of a local term, i think the "ballymenians" of the forum might understand)

thanks to aeroscap i say AMMMG all the time =(

And fail. Everything is fail. =D

People think i'm very strange when i say stuff like that irl ^_^

Do many people say lol in real life? I keep doing it and realising what a fool I have become

Do many people say lol in real life? I keep doing it and realising what a fool I have become

Started saying it from watching Pure Pwnage, and then just said it alot. Like all the time. Now its evolved to even saying "lololololol" and "Halalalalall" from Master Cheif sucks.

Im so annoying.

Started saying it from watching Pure Pwnage, and then just said it alot. Like all the time. Now its evolved to even saying "lololololol" and "Halalalalall" from Master Cheif sucks.

Im so annoying.

Hahaha

You also said win a few times in your room video, made me laugh muchly.

I say win irl...and people give me funny looks :D

I have been saying "lol", "lmao" (sounds more like "lamo" when I say it out loud though) and "meh" to people over the last year, and most of my friends just laugh at me. Me and a guy at work spent our final week there, saying "GTFO" to a load of people! Obviously, the majority of them didn't understand what it meant. The interent has defintley had an influence on my vocal vocabulary.

I say "Awesome" instead of cool btw.

A trend I seen now is people being ever increasingly retarded - for example, not being able to pay ANY FUCKING ATTENTION IN ENGLISH class, and thus saying things like "your rubbish" actually meaning "you're rubbish" - you are rubbish, instead of your, which is possessive. Your rubbish is in my fucking way, for example, is a correct usage.

Oh and then someone is always like HURR GRAMMAR NAZI LOL, or I'M NOT IN SCHOOL NOW, like they're trying to make up for the fact they sucked, I don't get this mindset, apparently it's cool to not know? Good work.

Rubbish has always been in as far as i know, i used to say it a lot of the time when i was younger as well as other non-swear words which included blinking heck and boulder-dash amongst others. These words are now "out" as it were from my area and in are all swear words really, which are nearly used in every sentence when i am out and about.

A trend I seen now is people being ever increasingly retarded - for example, not being able to pay ANY FUCKING ATTENTION IN ENGLISH class, and thus saying things like "your rubbish" actually meaning "you're rubbish" - you are rubbish, instead of your, which is possessive. Your rubbish is in my fucking way, for example, is a correct usage.

Oh and then someone is always like HURR GRAMMAR NAZI LOL, or I'M NOT IN SCHOOL NOW, like they're trying to make up for the fact they sucked, I don't get this mindset, apparently it's cool to not know? Good work.

Today my supervisor crossed out a "that" in my essay and said it should have been a "which". I pointed out that this was in fact incorrect, because it was introducing a restrictive, rather than non-restrictive, relative clause. She didn't know what these were, but still maintained it should have been "which"... It's ironic really because nowadays either is considered correct anyway.

Anyway, how is cool uncool? I thought that was the one constant. (other than swearwords)

Haha Daft, I do the tard thing with some words too(fucktard, spaktard, mongtard :D and sometimes gaytard), though I've not heard/noticed anyone else do it. I also use a few arguably racial words, but I'll leave those off the forums. One time my mate messaged me though with his own word he'd made up, and I still use it, the brilliance that was Motherchubber.