N-Europe

Nokia's New Concept - Morph

Cube

01_Morph_Open_Mode_lowres.jpg

03_Morph_Phone_Mode_lowres.jpg

04_Morph_Wrist_Mode_lowres.jpg

Nokia have created an interesting concept for a new phone. It looks nice indeed. All the concept features can be read about here.

Basically is a nanotech-heavy design so it's a strong-but-flexible card that can be bent into different shapes for different uses. It comes with an earpiece clip thing that has various uses both on the phone and off the phone.

Unfortunately, the technology is said to become mainstream in 2015 so we have a while to wait. It still looks very nice. We'll probably see it in a lot of other things (i.e. medical & military technology) before then. According to Nokia the biggest problem is actually the battery.

Concept video

2015? More like 2050.

Nanotechnology is insane complicated. For example, nano fibres can store energy which comes from the Sun. Using the technology in such a complicate way is gunna take some time.

Its extremely interesting and a sure way of things are eventually going to go once we finally stop using plastic and metal.

It'd be pretty freaking crazy to see our current tech versus this stuff in the future :)

By the time this actually comes out for the mainstream all costal areas will have been flooded due to global warming.

Awesome.

This kind of stuff just makes me think about how the generations after us will look at us and laugh at all the rubbish technology we put up with.

I'd like to see some of those features in current handsets. Surely handsets should come with solar charging as standard now. Calculators have for years, even if it's for calls/texts only. Emergencies if you will. And if phones had see-through fascias wouldn't changeable phone "covers" be easier to integrate (I guess it would just be like applying a wallpaper to your desktop).

I know some of these functions are costly...

I'd also like to see a chip and pin service on my phone (This has been trialled admittedly) so I just stick my phone into a card reader and it debits my card and I input the pin on my phone keypad. The phone wouldn't record the pin obviously. I know there are limitations to my ideas but phones need new ideas. It seems like devs are stuck on the "IT PLAYS MUSIC AND TAKES PICTURES COZ IT'S 99Gb AND 7 MEGAPIXELZ, TEH FUWTRE IZ ARS!!" mantra.

I'm going to be that weird old dude who still has his old "brick" from circa 2005 that even his work mates laugh at.

"You mean you have to use your hands?"

"That's like a baby's toy!"

By 2015 I expect to be browsing N-Europe through my contact lenses. Make it so, science; maybe then we'll forget this new millennium's suspicious lack of pill meals and flying cars.

They may laugh at our technology in the future but we can regail kids with stories about being alive when the internet was in black and white and how it would only be on for 3 hours a day. "We'd log onto Let's Buy It.com and order half a pound of tripe and gas mask. Cheese burgers were a penny then."

Lying to children of the new generation FTW!

Four Yorkshiremen tribute (not quite the original, but still awesome)

This phone looks pretty cool, but by then I expect to have something much better than a foldy screen. Maybe an implant in the ear to make calls, something like that. And a watch that can maybe display videos/holograms and pump the sound straight into your ear implant. Implants are the future, I tells ya.

I was going to go with shut up but really didn't want to come across as serious and for you to get angry and shouty, because then I would have had to get my friend Mr Pointy out...and Mr Pointy doesn't like guests...

(I have no idea. Don't ask)

Back on topic! It's a nice concept and I like the idea of nano tech being used, but I seriously doubt the future will look like this. It's like the magazines from the 50s that you see where they sketch the home of the future with all sorts of crazy stuff that would never work/now seems stupid.